Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:50 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,616,219 times

Advertisements

The biggest problem I have with Facebook is they always fix what isn't broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 04:00 PM

843 posts, read 2,225,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
The biggest problem I have with Facebook is they always fix what isn't broken.
that's fallout from the poo flinging...

Old 10-29-2013, 04:38 AM

2,882 posts, read 5,908,459 times
I've been on the internet for a long time (since the middle 90's). I honestly don't understand facebook at all. Is it one of the top 3 fads in internet history?

-You have to wonder. Any site that makes it hard or impossible to close your account....shouldn't flags go up? Then the "privacy settings". Of which there are multiple tiers. It's like you're piloting an aircraft. You've got the top privacy settings. Then the middle. Then the bottom.

Social media seems like extraordinary overload. Just because you can do it technologically (post pictures or updates), does it mean you have to?

What happened to instant messaging, lol?

What happened to friendster? LOL.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:59 AM

5,652 posts, read 7,014,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I've been on the internet for a long time (since the middle 90's). I honestly don't understand facebook at all. Is it one of the top 3 fads in internet history?
I'm with you. I've been working with marketing web-based tech since 1995. I used it (and broke FB's rules) having a personal acct for my business. It was mildly useful, but I don't believe there's much value in a "like" from a business standpoint.

I've had three personal accts at different times - the first using my actual name. Never again. If I wanted to communicate with someone from my past, I'd have figured out how to do it w/o FB. Even the fake accts I created drive me crazy with the amount of reminders FB sends. And I pretty much have to have a fake acct because most of the media I use has migrated to FB for commenting.

I get a ton of productivity from Twitter & LinkedIn though. Was an early adopter of Pinterest but haven't used it since we sold our biz. That continues to be an interesting app to watch. Lots of business advantages.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'm with you. I've been working with marketing web-based tech since 1995. I used it (and broke FB's rules) having a personal acct for my business. It was mildly useful, but I don't believe there's much value in a "like" from a business standpoint.

I've had three personal accts at different times - the first using my actual name. Never again. If I wanted to communicate with someone from my past, I'd have figured out how to do it w/o FB. Even the fake accts I created drive me crazy with the amount of reminders FB sends. And I pretty much have to have a fake acct because most of the media I use has migrated to FB for commenting.

I get a ton of productivity from Twitter & LinkedIn though. Was an early adopter of Pinterest but haven't used it since we sold our biz. That continues to be an interesting app to watch. Lots of business advantages.
I finally broke down and created an account so I could track family and friend doings. No one calls or writes anymore it's all FB crap. I use a totally fake name and an email address that isn't tied to Outlook so I have to go to the Internet to get the emails. Basically I go there and delete everything once a month or so. I've got the harassment down to a bare minimum at least, and no personal info at all on FB.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 AM

43,512 posts, read 77,526,384 times
LOL
There seems to be some polarization in personal attitudes. Sort of "love it or hate it" with little in between...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...-facebook.html

Old 10-29-2013, 02:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,258,070 times
As with all other ADULT choices, you don't like it?

DON'T USE IT...

Geezus H keyrist

Old 10-29-2013, 03:50 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,442,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Yet another reason I got away from zuckerberg a couple of years ago. He had all these privacy features. Then one by one they have disappeared. Then he sold data to advertisers. Then the terms changed so you don't completely "own" all your posts and photos. He can use your photos in ads to your friends if you don't check this or that obscure box. It's nearly impossible to completely close your account, and who knows if anything you deleted really is (I'm sure it isn't!) And now this. Don't say you weren't warned.
Everyone Can Search for You on Facebook Now - Brian Feldman - The Atlantic Wire
It's a social networking site that is on the internet. You pretty much go public from there. [user discretion advised]

Old 11-06-2013, 08:34 PM

30,467 posts, read 23,921,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Yet another reason I got away from zuckerberg a couple of years ago. He had all these privacy features. Then one by one they have disappeared. Then he sold data to advertisers. Then the terms changed so you don't completely "own" all your posts and photos. He can use your photos in ads to your friends if you don't check this or that obscure box. It's nearly impossible to completely close your account, and who knows if anything you deleted really is (I'm sure it isn't!) And now this. Don't say you weren't warned.
Everyone Can Search for You on Facebook Now - Brian Feldman - The Atlantic Wire
That's why you don't use your real name on FB. Anyone that you know, and don't mind that they know your account, you can tell them what it is, but never, ever, ever, ever, ever use your real name on the internet. And put a fricken watermark on your photos....not in the corner, covering part of an important piece. Say you have a photo of your dog...put the watermark over his paws, or just touching an ear...whatever. It's long been known that without watermarks, your photos are easily swiped by anyone and everyone once they hit FB.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:40 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,817,857 times
screw facebook. I don't have an account nor do I want one. I don't need to know who's showering ****ting or shaving lol. and if someone really wanted to they could swipe your picture and use it for identity theft as well among the other things the posters have said in this thread. and facebook was setup by the government so that they could spy on you to see what your doing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet