Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:38 PM

471 posts, read 1,075,033 times

Advertisements

So, we are moving to a rural area, and so far all I can find for my Internet options are ...

Cincinnati Bell ... Gets bad reviews, and it is a slow connection.

Via sat and Hughes Net, both which get horrific reviews.

So, do I have any other options, that maybe I am not familiar with?

I know when I was at the Verizon store, my hubby was talking about the Verizon hotspot thing, that is an option for the home phone. Is there also such an option for Internet?

With Cincy Bell, here is my only option, which does not sound like a fast Internet service to me. We do watch Hulu and Netflix on the iPads, as well as a home network with multiple computers and iPads connected.

"A dedicated high-speed connection with fast speeds for a great price. Speeds up to 5Mbps"

Any ideas or help will be so appreciated!!

HUGz! Jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 02:46 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,462,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
So, we are moving to a rural area, and so far all I can find for my Internet options are ...

Cincinnati Bell ... Gets bad reviews, and it is a slow connection.

Via sat and Hughes Net, both which get horrific reviews.

So, do I have any other options, that maybe I am not familiar with?

I know when I was at the Verizon store, my hubby was talking about the Verizon hotspot thing, that is an option for the home phone. Is there also such an option for Internet?

With Cincy Bell, here is my only option, which does not sound like a fast Internet service to me. We do watch Hulu and Netflix on the iPads, as well as a home network with multiple computers and iPads connected.

"A dedicated high-speed connection with fast speeds for a great price. Speeds up to 5Mbps"

Any ideas or help will be so appreciated!!

HUGz! Jules
Unless they have 4G in your area, and the hotspot can work with 4G I wouldn't waste my time. 4G can often slow to 5 MBPS, or even less, depending on conditions and how many people are on at that time. 3G is a complete waste of time. 4G is supposed to offer speeds up to 30 MBPS, theoretically, though that rarely happens. Wi-Fi is almost always faster.

I take it the 100 MBPS speeds, outside of the incredible price of such technology, is not delivering the speeds it promises? That wouldn't surprise me if that were true, as I've worked for a cable company before and I know how that actually plays out. 5 Mbps for $30 is actually cheaper than you would pay for 4G. Unless you truly need to be mobile, you could use it for Wi-Fi at home and then connect to 4G through your device while out and about in the city.

I'm mad they advertise speeds that are only the advertised price if you bundle with Fiber Optic TV, which you technically would not need if your TV hooked up to the Internet through Wi-Fi, either with a smart TV, Google TV, Apple TV or Roku. That is laughable in this day and age, as though we don't know how to get television on our own.

They really need to come out of the dark ages with their pricing structure. Find someone that offers 4G, use software to stick within your data limit and connect to Wi-Fi whenever possible. If their unlimited prepaid plan for $60 can get you onto 4G you would actually come out ahead because you could use it at home, with no installation, and use it in your neighborhood; because paying $30 a month for 5 Mbps, though technically the speed you would expect to receive on 4G, is limiting because you can only send and receive data from home.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:49 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,871,164 times
While 5Mb/s is decent enough to watch netflix, the key is "UP TO" - in rural areas you're at the mercy of your wiring and your ISP.

I'm assuming you already have verizon as a mobile provider. They do have 4G "cards" that you can plug into a laptop or computer that uses mobile data. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/usb-modem

However, if you don't get good signal out in the sticks, you will obviously have problems. Also, unless you also get a hotspot, you cannot use the 4G card on an iPad. If you get great reception on your phone, chances are you should get good signal with the card, too. This option can be pricey, though and there are data caps to worry about.

It looks like Cincinati Bell is DSL. Are you absolutely sure there aren't any other providers in the area?

Old 10-09-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Unless they have 4G in your area, and the hotspot can work with 4G I wouldn't waste my time. 4G can often slow to 5 MBPS, or even less, depending on conditions and how many people are on at that time. 3G is a complete waste of time. 4G is supposed to offer speeds up to 30 MBPS, theoretically, though that rarely happens. Wi-Fi is almost always faster.

I take it the 100 MBPS speeds, outside of the incredible price of such technology, is not delivering the speeds it promises? That wouldn't surprise me if that were true, as I've worked for a cable company before and I know how that actually plays out. 5 Mbps for $30 is actually cheaper than you would pay for 4G. Unless you truly need to be mobile, you could use it for Wi-Fi at home and then connect to 4G through your device while out and about in the city.

I'm mad they advertise speeds that are only the advertised price if you bundle with Fiber Optic TV, which you technically would not need if your TV hooked up to the Internet through Wi-Fi, either with a smart TV, Google TV, Apple TV or Roku. That is laughable in this day and age, as though we don't know how to get television on our own.
If we have no choice but to go with Cincy Bell, is the 5Mbps a good speed for our needs? That just sounds small to me, like a dial up connection.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
While 5Mb/s is decent enough to watch netflix, the key is "UP TO" - in rural areas you're at the mercy of your wiring and your ISP.

I'm assuming you already have verizon as a mobile provider. They do have 4G "cards" that you can plug into a laptop or computer that uses mobile data. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/usb-modem

However, if you don't get good signal out in the sticks, you will obviously have problems. Also, unless you also get a hotspot, you cannot use the 4G card on an iPad. If you get great reception on your phone, chances are you should get good signal with the card, too. This option can be pricey, though and there are data caps to worry about.

It looks like Cincinati Bell is DSL. Are you absolutely sure there aren't any other providers in the area?
Our realtor is trying to get ahold of the current owners to find out who/what company they used.

I have called AT&T and they're a no go. I have a call into Time Warner, but they are checking into it and are supposed to call me back.

When I set up the new Direct TV account, the three above providers is all they show in their system, and I am having no luck searching online.

Here is the info on the Cincy Bell page ...

"ZoomTown High-Speed Internet provides the perfect speed for online shopping and sharing photos with friends. Up to 5Mbps download speed and up to 768Kbps upload speed. ESPN3 included at no extra charge!"

Good? Bad?

Old 10-09-2013, 04:20 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,668,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
Our realtor is trying to get ahold of the current owners to find out who/what company they used.

I have called AT&T and they're a no go. I have a call into Time Warner, but they are checking into it and are supposed to call me back.

When I set up the new Direct TV account, the three above providers is all they show in their system, and I am having no luck searching online.

Here is the info on the Cincy Bell page ...

"ZoomTown High-Speed Internet provides the perfect speed for online shopping and sharing photos with friends. Up to 5Mbps download speed and up to 768Kbps upload speed. ESPN3 included at no extra charge!"

Good? Bad?
5/768 isn't super fast, but it's far from dial up ... (assuming you get that speed) You won't be streaming HD movies on 3 computers at once, but for email and browsing the web, it should be fine.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:24 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,639,903 times
See if this outfit covers your area. They use a fixed wireless (WiMax) technology. Like "long-distance" WiFi.

Coverage - SKYBEAM

Old 10-09-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
5/768 isn't super fast, but it's far from dial up ... (assuming you get that speed) You won't be streaming HD movies on 3 computers at once, but for email and browsing the web, it should be fine.
During our highest usage, there are two people checking email and the such, and one streaming Netflix or the such. So you think we'll be okay?

I just wish they got better reviews than they do.

HUGz! Jules

Old 10-09-2013, 05:04 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,467,118 times
Exede (viasat) is likely going to be your best bet. However, you'll have to learn to live with 10 gigs a month (except after midnight), latency, and the peculiarities of satellite.

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Exede (viasat) is likely going to be your best bet. However, you'll have to learn to live with 10 gigs a month (except after midnight), latency, and the peculiarities of satellite.

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
I do not like the sound of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet