Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:19 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,680,070 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thinking about running a cable underground in conduit to a connection and it will be 100 feet at least and will I have to have a box of some kind to hook this cable into my computer? Now I use a dial-up phone connection.

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 05:56 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,215,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, I'm thinking about running a cable underground in conduit to a connection and it will be 100 feet at least and will I have to have a box of some kind to hook this cable into my computer? Now I use a dial-up phone connection.

Thanks, John
I am not sure if you mean the distance from the Dmark point (where the phone company enters the house) to where the DSL modem will be placed or the distance from the modem to the computer. In either case, 100' should not present a problem. However, do not run low voltage communication wire in the same conduit as AC or the signal will degrade via induction. If you have no choice, I think they make shielded CAT-5 cabling but it is pricey.

hope that helps

Old 10-05-2007, 11:16 PM

Hi, The conduit doesn't have any other wires in it only will be the DSL Cable. Yes it will connected to a DSL box more then 100 feet away. Will I need a DSL box on computer or can I connect the cable to computer without one?

Thanks, John

Old 10-06-2007, 12:07 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,215,162 times
Quote:
Hi, The conduit doesn't have any other wires in it only will be the DSL Cable. Yes it will connected to a DSL box more then 100 feet away. Will I need a DSL box on computer or can I connect the cable to computer without one?

Thanks, John
Well most newer computers have a network port on them. (computers less than 3 years old) It will look like a phone plug only a little bit larger. On the back of your computer, see if you have one, often they will have at least one green or amber led light next to the port.

If it is an older computer, you will need a network card which plugs into a PCI slot. Although you have to pull the cover off, it is not hard to do and the card will just plug right in, you tighten one screw and you are good to go.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:22 AM

My computer is about 6 months old so I should have a network card. It's a Compaq Presario SR50010NX.

John

Old 10-06-2007, 04:06 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,925,134 times
Well the easiest way initially to determine if you have a network card is to take a regular phone line and see if there is a jack in the back that looks like a plain old telephone line but is larger. If the phone cord wiggles around and does not click, and it is not your dial up modem phone jack then you probably have a network card (NIC) capable of accepting an RJ45 Ethernet connection, or internet connection.

John are you running PVC for the connection from the pole to your home then you might want to run multiple cable types if you are going through the trouble? Is the DSL or (new?) phone line going to terminate at the pole and you need to then run standard phone line to your home? Or is it coax cable? How will the cable/line run into your house?

Either way DSL or cable will need to have a modem that will connect either a standard phone line that is hot for DSL or a cable coax connection that will also go into a modem from an ISP or Internet service providor. Then from the modem you will use a RJ45 ethernet/Cat5 cable to go to your network card in the back of your computer.

There are other ways to determine how to find out if you have a network card. If the first "method" does not work then I will walk you through how to try and find out.

Also if you have a phone jack terminating already in your home and it is DSL then you might just be able to have the DSL providor make a jack hot for DSL without the need to run a line... but I don't know the circumstances.

Keep us posted...

And after that read southernladys post about securing it...

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 10-06-2007 at 04:15 PM..

Old 10-07-2007, 10:30 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,427,222 times
Quote:
My computer is about 6 months old so I should have a network card. It's a Compaq Presario SR50010NX.
Yes, John, your computer has a built-in network card. It has an integrated 56K modem and RJ-45 LAN network port which allows for a 10/100 Ethernet connection and DSL/cable modems. My computer - a Compaq Presario 6370 - is 4 years old, and it came with one, too.

You can view the specs for your system on this page.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,786,803 times
Quote:

Thanks, John
Yes, you will need a DSL modem. If you are signing up to a service they should supply one.

BTW DSL runs over your phone line. Why aren't you using your existing line?

Old 10-07-2007, 05:35 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,427,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yes, you will need a DSL modem. If you are signing up to a service they should supply one.

BTW DSL runs over your phone line. Why aren't you using your existing line?
If I might butt in here and respond to this, the latest trend by phone companies is to install separate "DSL Only" lines because if you use your existing phone line, they tend to be older in a lot of areas and contribute to line noise, which can seriously degrade your signal - which, as anyone who's ever had problems with DSL (such as myself ) will tell you, significantly reduces your speeds.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,786,803 times
Thanks. Have no experience with old lines/DSL so I wasn't aware of the problem. Appreciate the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet