Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 08:49 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times

Advertisements

Verizon said it showed that Verizon was further giving up on FiOS....
Justice Department approves deals between Verizon and cable companies, with conditions - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Verizon said it showed that Verizon was further giving up on FiOS....
Your editing of that sentence was a little too tight. Verizon's not admitting anything of the sort.

"Consumer groups who opposed the deal between the cable companies and Verizon said it showed that Verizon was further giving up on FiOS and yielding the home broadband market to cable."

Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
The OP must be a politician the way he/she/it presented the facts....

The article says nothing of the sort....

Old 08-19-2012, 08:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Well, we have had fiber access for over a decade now in central Washington. Including 1 Gbps service. The fiber service comes through the local public utility districts.

It cost 100 million to provide fiber access to 70% of the county residents. The local public utility district turned down a federal grant to provide fiber to the remaining 30% or residents currently not served.

They have also raised the rates so fiber is self-supporting rather than being subsidized by electricity sales to western Washington and Oregon. So the the 100 up and down service went from $30 month to $60 month.

There is a lot of support for fiber in the community, but if it means that electricity rates go up from 2 cents a kilo-watt hour the local commissioners felt that most folks would rather have cheap electricity than cheap fiber.

I love having high speed fiber for cable TV, phone and internet. I love having a choice of many companies for those services. There is lots of support for fiber in the community, but it seems that not among the elected officials.

I suspect the US is rapidly sliding into 3rd world status. We no longer have a manned space program. People seem unwilling to pay for the future and its benefits.

So it is really no surprise that Verizon would abandon their FIOS program. I am no fan of Verizon, it was their opposition to public fiber that set back the public fiber program in central Washington a decade ago. A decade ago, they tried using their influence with then Governor Locke to stop the fiber build-out in central Washington. Obama appointed Locke as Commerce Secretary to provide high speed internet service to the country. No wonder that the national program failed...the fox in the hen house!!

Fiber has many economic benefits, but we as a country are no longer exceptional.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
I'm not convinced that fiber to residences is as critical to the future of our infrastructure. We've had FIOS as an option here for 7+ years and it's been great to have a choice and competition for improvement. However, when we're approaching wireless speeds that match fiber optic speeds, does it make sense to invest in laying down the fiber?

Old 08-20-2012, 05:57 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not convinced that fiber to residences is as critical to the future of our infrastructure. We've had FIOS as an option here for 7+ years and it's been great to have a choice and competition for improvement. However, when we're approaching wireless speeds that match fiber optic speeds, does it make sense to invest in laying down the fiber?
While wireless has gotten faster, fiber is growing too. When we had FiOS we had a 25/15 plan, there was only one plan faster than that at the time (at over $100 a month). My parents now have a 75/25 plan, and I'm pretty sure there are a couple of faster ones available.

My LTE is fast but I don't get 25/15 out of it, it's only available in limited areas, it's far more expensive, and has data limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet