Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,769,823 times

Advertisements

I have a business website and today I have received about 50 spam messages from various senders all with nonsensical messages.

It seems like they are trying to overwhelm my business e-mail? I don't know what the reason for this is. I have it set so they can't hijack my domain name.

I enabled "spam assassin" on the account but so far it hasn't stopped this spam at a mid level setting. I hate this because if I set the spam filter too high I may miss legitimate e-mails but if I set it too low I am getting junk which forces me to look at every message to see if it might be spam or real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 05:06 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I have a business website and today I have received about 50 spam messages from various senders all with nonsensical messages.

It seems like they are trying to overwhelm my business e-mail? I don't know what the reason for this is. I have it set so they can't hijack my domain name.

I enabled "spam assassin" on the account but so far it hasn't stopped this spam at a mid level setting. I hate this because if I set the spam filter too high I may miss legitimate e-mails but if I set it too low I am getting junk which forces me to look at every message to see if it might be spam or real.
Sounds more like your or your businesses email account(s) have been compromised....

Normally a DDOS attack is used to overwhelm a website not spam emails.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Sounds more like your or your businesses email account(s) have been compromised....

Normally a DDOS attack is used to overwhelm a website not spam emails.
The "from" address is not my domain- example- this is one of the many (xdgge@mail.ru). The TO e-mail account is my business account. Had I been getting it FROM my business e-mail domain it would likely be a domain hijack.

My e-mail submission for tells me which page they used the contact form on and it is mostly from my blog page. (I do not allow live responses, just a question submission form).

Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 PM

I think I figured it out. It seems to be a "comment spammer" that wants to spam bogs with comments. Ido not allow comments on my blog so it seems to have attached to my "contact form" and started sending the comments to that.

I guess I will have to add a capture contact form.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
It's a captcha, Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart. Highlight a word on the page. Ask them to type the word in. Simple and very effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet