Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,526,274 times

Advertisements

For the purposes of webhosting companies that offer unlimited domain hosting for one price. MY guess is you pay for each separate website?

How do you determine how much bandwith a website needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 AM

927 posts, read 1,460,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
For the purposes of webhosting companies that offer unlimited domain hosting for one price. MY guess is you pay for each separate website?

a Domain is the digital address that points to your website pages.

Most web hosting will give you way more than needed bandwidth than you can use as a small web designer with little scripting useage.

Check this one out - I used them for over a decade - HyperMart

Hypermart has a lot of features well worth using on your own website.

What kind of fish you into? Fishing or aquariums?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,526,274 times
LOL My last name is Fischer but I do live right on the water. We have a plant nursery for one website and a law office for another. We have koi fish at the nursery - my 11 1yar old has named all of them

Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,957 times
Quote:

Reduce the concept to your PC... that being the entire Internet. The hard drive in that PC would be it's domain... workspace. An application such as MS Office would be a website.

For your hosted domain, your name might be your domain name... fischer.net. You might have a website fischer.net/nursery. Another fishcer.net/lawoffice.

As a user, I might google nurseries and get pointed (google link) to fischer.net/nursery, among a dozen other random links.

I might google law offices and get pointed to fischer.net/lawoffice, among a dozen other random links.

On your hosted domain, you'll have html scripts that will produce one or the other website */nursery or */lawoffice. That shouldn't concern your domain host, as its service is unlimited.

If however, you prefer to have a website fischernurseries.net or fischerlaw.net then you will need two domains, one each. That is, "name" dot net where "name" is the domain name.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Are they offering unlimted domains or unlimited resources? Link?

You're going to have all kinds of packages available but ultimately there is limits on "unlimited plans".

Quote:
Unless you're serving a lot of video, or LOT of really large images the typical starter plans are more than capable of handling the bandwidth required. A lot of these plans will offer "unlimited bandwidth", "unlimited disk space" etc but it's pretty much BS. They do this because that is what all the competition does and they are aware that 99.9% of the sites they host are barely going to touch the server. The real limits on such plans will be found in the small print and would be on other resources like CPU usage. Typically a website will outstip the CPU resources allocated ti it long before they use up other resources. I have a fairly popular site and I use about 2% of the bandwidth available to me mostly because the pages are text but since every page is PHP and has to be executed the CPU usage is very high and would not qualify for starter plan.

Once you get beyond the starter plans like a VPS or dedicated machine bandwidth and disk allocation are never listed as unlimited because the host is fully aware it can easily be used up.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 AM

927 posts, read 1,460,170 times
From what I recall of Hypermart ... with them you can have a domain name - maybe something like ShoreLine.com (just an analogy) and then you can do sub domain names like fischerLawOffices.ShoreLine.com and fischerNursery.ShoreLine.com
( I believe they used to allow about 5 sub domain names to an account)

Also when you look at bandwidth - just be sure you can add to it later.

Realistically; the bandwidth these places offer you will be a lot more than you can use within at least the first few years.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
From what I recall of Hypermart ... with them you can have a domain name - maybe something like ShoreLine.com (just an analogy) and then you can do sub domain names like fischerLawOffices.ShoreLine.com and fischerNursery.ShoreLine.com
( I believe they used to allow about 5 sub domain names to an account)
Most of the starter plans I've seen usually have unlimited subdomains or a very large amount, not really sure why anyone would limit them unless they were using it as a means to needlessly push you into a higher priced plan.

Quote:
Also when you look at bandwidth - just be sure you can add to it later.
You can monitor this inside the control panel and most hosts will give you a warning, if you have a host that is going to just cut your site off for exceeding limits other than spiking CPU usage it's time to find another host. As I posted previously you'll most likely exceed other limits like CPU usage before bandwidth or disk space becomes a factor.

Once you exceed the limits of the starter plan carefully examine what they offer at the next level because they typically don't offer much more. The starter plans are their bread and butter simply because they expect that most will not use many resources. They might have hundreds if not thousands of domains on a single server. They can't do that if there is lot of customers actually using the service a lot.

Once you outgrow a starter plan it's usually better to move onto starter VPS package or in the case of my host they offer a really high powered shared hosting plan which is kind of rare in the hosting industry.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:11 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
I'd be amazed if you guys haven't confused the OP at this point.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It was just a ploy to get you to post a more accurate description to the OP's inquiry. We've been waiting....

Old 01-13-2012, 11:23 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,924,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm REALLY surprised nobody has posted the obvious:

city-data.com is a domain name. What you are reading right now is a website.

A domain name is an address (such as "123 Main Street, Harrisburg PA") while a website is what's at that address (such as "Discount Donny's Used Car-O-Rama").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet