Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times

Advertisements

I've wanted to start a blog for a long time but haven't because I've read one too many horror stories about people's personal information being abused, mined, sold, etc., I've always been very careful and have stayed away from registering for things online.

But, I've decided to go ahead with the blog and have a question: I won't be using my real name on my blog. Do I have to register my real information with the blog site I choose to use? I'll give them my e-mail address and they'll be able to contact me if they need to, but, even my e-mail address doesn't use my name. Is it okay to register and set up a blog using a pen name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I've wanted to start a blog for a long time but haven't because I've read one too many horror stories about people's personal information being abused, mined, sold, etc., I've always been very careful and have stayed away from registering for things online.

But, I've decided to go ahead with the blog and have a question: I won't be using my real name on my blog. Do I have to register my real information with the blog site I choose to use? I'll give them my e-mail address and they'll be able to contact me if they need to, but, even my e-mail address doesn't use my name. Is it okay to register and set up a blog using a pen name?
These aren't questions for anyone here, that's a question for the host, read their TOS.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 PM

Actually, they are questions for people here. I'm asking if anyone has any experience doing this or in knowing anyone who did. As for reading the TOS, I've done that. I haven't found any blog sites that address this question at all. They don't say you can, or can't, register with a pseudonym. That's why I'm asking people here.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
I've certainly read enough blogs that were anonymous to readers, but I presume you're asking if you have to reveal yourself to the blog host? How would they know if the name you give them is your real name? I always operate under the principle that if someone wants to find you badly enough to spend tons of money and/or involve the government, they can find you because we are all just our SS numbers. So no one's information is ever unmineable. That said, why would the blog host care as long as you're paying what they ask and they have a way to contact you? I would think there is a point at which it's not cost effective to collect someone's info for commercial purposes. After all. there are enough consumers/citizens who willingly give their information away. As in, "I'm not a criminal, so why do I care what people know about me?"

Old 09-28-2011, 06:53 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,846 times
Quote:
Actually, they are questions for people here. I'm asking if anyone has any experience doing this or in knowing anyone who did. As for reading the TOS, I've done that. I haven't found any blog sites that address this question at all. They don't say you can, or can't, register with a pseudonym. That's why I'm asking people here.
You do not need to use your real name if you don't want to. Usually, the only time you would have to use your real name is if you are hosting the site yourself, which you don't need to do if you are using a free site like blogger.com or wordpress.com. I'm pretty sure they only want a display name, and you can make one up.

My advice is to go ahead with the registration, filling out only the 'required' information. If you are uncomfortable with any of the questions, delete, back out, and try a different site.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Quote:
If it's not in the TOS I don't see what the problem is, that is the guidlines for usage, if it doesn't specifically state you can't, then you have to assume you can.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:32 AM

Thanks everyone, very very much for taking the time to respond. It was helpful.

I know it sounds ridiculous, or paranoid, to some people that this would even be a concern for me. I don't use Facebook or Twitter for exactly these reasons. I don't trust these companies, especially Facebook. It's the principle of the thing. My identifying information, stats, online habits, etc., are just that. Mine. I do NOT give them permission to gather the information and sell it, give it away or use it to improve their advertising. We can't use their images or name to promote ourselves or make a profit so why is it okay for them to do it with our information?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:15 PM

8 posts, read 12,180 times
Quote:
We can't use their images or name to promote ourselves or make a profit so why is it okay for them to do it with our information?
Totally agree...... they are spying on our behavior for their on benefits....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet