Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,215,218 times

Advertisements

And it seems that in 2011 not many people care about their privacy.

Those that do won't use FB, the hundreds of millions who don't will use it.

End of story..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,847,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You can also set it so that your profile is HIDDEN and only people you ALLOW can see it.
Seriously? You think the only people that see what is on your facebook is the people you "ALLOW"? I guess the screen shots that have been anonymously sent to me of employees rants and crazy pictures on their facebook that I am not a friend of don't count. lmao
People love drama and I hate to break it to you but your own "friends" will stab you in the back just for the pure fun of it. Throw on top of that the fact that facebook saves copies of the database and will most likely happily sell your pictures you thought you deleted way back when if the opportunity presents itself.
Facebook is in no way shape or form private no matter what "settings" you use and it is hard to believe that people think that only friends see what is on their account.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:24 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,734,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Seriously? You think the only people that see what is on your facebook is the people you "ALLOW"? I guess the screen shots that have been anonymously sent to me of employees rants and crazy pictures on their facebook that I am not a friend of don't count. lmao
People love drama and I hate to break it to you but your own "friends" will stab you in the back just for the pure fun of it. Throw on top of that the fact that facebook saves copies of the database and will most likely happily sell your pictures you thought you deleted way back when if the opportunity presents itself.
Facebook is in no way shape or form private no matter what "settings" you use and it is hard to believe that people think that only friends see what is on their account.
Sure, but it's all about how you use it. I have never had any Facebook "drama" because I don't post rants about my life. I don't post anything I would consider so personal that I wouldn't share that same thought or photo in a room full of people. Or with my boss. It's all about how you use it. I could post my entire Facebook feed here and you would still not know a whole lot about me.
As is true with so many things, if you use it RESPONSIBLY it won't bite you in the ass.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,017,615 times
Quote:
Sure, but it's all about how you use it. I have never had any Facebook "drama" because I don't post rants about my life. I don't post anything I would consider so personal that I wouldn't share that same thought or photo in a room full of people. Or with my boss. It's all about how you use it. I could post my entire Facebook feed here and you would still not know a whole lot about me.
As is true with so many things, if you use it RESPONSIBLY it won't bite you in the ass.
That pretty much sums it up, use it cautiously and your fine, the problem is most people don't.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,734,014 times
I think part of the hate is the myth that people think OMFG IF I JOIN FACEBOOK WILL KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT ME AND EVERYONE WILL BE ABLE TO SEE EVERY PIECE OF INFORMATION ABOUT ME!!!!!

Trust me, and no offense here: most of you aren't that interesting.
hehehe

Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,017,615 times
A timely article.

Facebook

Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,551,185 times
Early in the days of twitter, and out of morbid curiosity I created a completely fictitious twitter account with a meaningless name.

It's scary how many email's I received "soooolonely" or "freakywendy" were 'following me'. Curious as I never posted a single tweet. This went on for probably a year. Please stop trying to following me, you're scaring me

Old 06-16-2011, 02:24 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,441,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Early in the days of twitter, and out of morbid curiosity I created a completely fictitious twitter account with a meaningless name.

It's scary how many email's I received "soooolonely" or "freakywendy" were 'following me'. Curious as I never posted a single tweet. This went on for probably a year. Please stop trying to following me, you're scaring me
Bots follow a lot of people.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,847,886 times
Quote:
I agree, and as NHDave said; most people don't and post whatever they are thinking.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:14 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,962,737 times
Quote:
You can also set it so that your profile is HIDDEN and only people you ALLOW can see it.
I don't doubt such, however Facebook isn't what you would consider professional site for security, its a chat and billboard type of system and while they may attempt to provide security, they are in no way focused to such means as are sites that specifically deal with secure information.

In my suggestion, all of my data is completely secured by me, on my machines, and fully under my control to which I make the security of my information a priority which may or may not be the priority of those who are updating, adding content, or other various content changes on Facebook, which is why they have had some "opps" moments concerning security on their site. They really aren't responsible for the loss of information or security of such as say a bank or other institution of such professional means is.

To me it just isn't worth the risk to let someone else under such a level of focus manage the security of my information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet