Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:42 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Usually about 8 to 10 on LP. Anything larger and it was issued as double album. As far as the cost difference:

I don;t know what the current bitrate is for downloads? In any event if the standard is still 128 it's inferior product.
Depends on what compression you're talking about. 128 mp3 (oldschool days) is pretty bad, but 128 AAC is getting pretty decent for internet transmission. Sure, higher is better, but 128 AAC is better than decent. For mp3, you're probably getting decent around 192-220 VBR, but would preferrably want higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 05:09 AM

573 posts, read 2,059,545 times
good that it's going to shut down, I'm tired of these fake mp3s people upload on limewire, it's bad quality, either upload real mp3s or shut it down.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
good that it's going to shut down, I'm tired of these fake mp3s people upload on limewire, it's bad quality, either upload real mp3s or shut it down.
Better yet, scrap mp3s and just load FLACs. It isn't the 90's anymore. The internet is fast.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Depends on what compression you're talking about. 128 mp3 (oldschool days) is pretty bad, but 128 AAC is getting pretty decent for internet transmission. Sure, higher is better, but 128 AAC is better than decent. For mp3, you're probably getting decent around 192-220 VBR, but would preferrably want higher.
To clarify I was asking what the standard was for something like itunes or other services offering pay for music? I'm aware of the different formats and their good and bad points, I don't download anything so I don't know what they have to offer.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
To clarify I was asking what the standard was for something like itunes or other services offering pay for music? I'm aware of the different formats and their good and bad points, I don't download anything so I don't know what they have to offer.

Ah. Different services use different formats and compressions. iTunes uses 256kbit AAC while Amazon uses 256kbit mp3. I don't know whether it's VBR or CBR, and what they are encoded with because I don't use them either.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:04 AM

656 posts, read 2,743,258 times
Yes just another torrent site will unfold

But before itunes it was hard to download songs legally, well I couldn't find sites that had the songs
I was chasing. In fact even Now its hard to chase down Older songs, movies and TV shows on legitimate sites.

Anyway in the past every time we pressed the Record button on our VCR's and Radio-tape players, wasn't that also piracy? Whats different?

Old 10-31-2010, 10:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Anyway in the past every time we pressed the Record button on our VCR's and Radio-tape players, wasn't that also piracy? Whats different?
Both of these have exemptions, look up Beta max case for the VCR. The VCR is considered time shifting and technically you're only supposed to record to watch it later once, legally you can't use it to amass a giant collection.

The Audio Home Recording act exempts private recordings/copies for personal use. What the RIAA got out of it was a tax on recording devices and the media for them . That's why standalone CD recorders are so rare, they cost a lot more to sell. That's also what distinguishes the more expensive "Audio" CD from standard CD, a standalone CD recorder will reject standard CD.

Both of these is what I was referencing in my original post about them trying to kill technology. They wanted to get the same tax on MP3 players and CD/DVD burners in computers.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Better yet, scrap mp3s and just load FLACs. It isn't the 90's anymore. The internet is fast.
Many people like the MP3 format because so many devices can play it, not because it's the best in terms of acoustic quality.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
An mp3 costs how much now? $1.20? A CD? $12 to $15.00?? Remember the old vinyl LP records? What did they cost? $16.00? How many songs were on the LP? 16 or so? Just checked Amazon, CD's go for $12.00 to $20.00

In 2010 paying MORE for songs than in the 70's? This is why the torrent sites will never get shut down, people are NOT going to get ripped off.... Maybe if they charged something reasonable people might actually buy music.
Are you being serious? Did you seriously say "paying more for songs then in the 70's"? Yes. You are paying more for songs today then you did in the 70's. You are paying more for everything.
But:
In the 70's minimum wage was $2.10. Actually if you adjust for inflation you are actually paying LESS today for music then you did then even at $20 for a CD.

"What cost $16.00 in 1975 would cost $63.09 in 2009. Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2009 and 1975,they would cost you $16.00 (1975)and $3.70 (2009) respectively"

The Inflation Calculator

Old 11-01-2010, 11:01 AM

102 posts, read 179,053 times
I can't say I'm even bothered for LimeWire getting shuttered. I agree with another poster in that we should not download what we have not payed for.

People work hard for a living and musicians get little enough as it is. The days of rich bands are long over. Bands are lucky to see a tenth of a dollar in earnings from a CD. They make their money touring and selling merchandise. It's always been that way and always will. The lion's share of the profit from CD/DVD sales go to the executives, not the musicians.

The last of the really wealthy bands are pretty much gone. The Stones tour because they love it, not for money. Same for The Boss and some others. They all made their fortune back in the heyday when people HAD to buy music or not have it. I'm old enough to remember having actually bought LPs/45s, cassettes, and then/now CDs/DVDs. Before the advent of the cassette recorder, people either listened to the radio or owned a record player or both. I remember back in the early 70s when cassette recorders became popular, everyone was making mix tapes and sharing them. Some bands, like the Grateful Dead, actually encouraged the recording and sharing of music.

Back in the day, people didn't just buy a bands' album for the music, but also for the albums' artwork. LP art was just that -- art. I remember looking forward to buying the latest installment from my favorite bands because not only was I getting great music, but I spent hours poring over the art and liner notes from the LPs and cassette tapes. It was great and I really do miss those days. I lived pretty remote in those days and couldn't afford to get to those venues where the big bands played, and as a consequence, I dearly loved going to the record store (remember those?) and spending hours sifting through milk box crates full of LPs and racks of cassette tapes. I remember an LP was around $8.99 for a single record and up to about $12.99 for a double album. Same for cassettes. It was a real chore debating on how to part with your allowance money because more often than not, there were several albums I wanted and choosing was a tough decision.

The school dances were another venue by which you could discover new music. Like most kids in my day, I spent every Saturday morning glued to the radio listening to Casey Kasem DJ the week's Top 40. Man, I miss those days. Things have gotten so clinical and detached now with the Internet.

Like most people these days, I buy music online, but I prefer to buy the entire CD. I do so to support the artists I like, plus I get any artwork and liner notes. Call me old fashioned, and I am, but those were, indeed, the better days IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet