Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:00 PM

8 posts, read 14,133 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! My husband has a job opportunity in Indianapolis, and we were hoping you guys could help us find a neighborhood/town/suburb, that will work for us. Here are our vitals!

Small son so school district is very important

Small town feel (an actual main street feeling!)

Low Crime

3 bed 2 bath home for under 225000 (we are willing to do some work, and we don't mind an older home)

Less than 25 minute commute to downtown (how bad is traffic around indianapolis?)

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
It depends .... as far as schools go, Zionsville, Carmel and Fishers are all highly desireable. Zionsville may be out of your pricerange, but they have a small town main street feel. Carmel is trying to build one, Fishers doesn't have one to speak of. Noblesville is north of those 3. It's the county seat of hamilton county, so it definitely has the main street character, but it will probably take more than 25 minutes to get downtown during rush.

Avon and Plainfield have good schools, don't know if they have the main street thing going.

The White River Twp section of Greenwood on the southside has great schools and it could be feasible to get downtown in your timeframe.

That could get you started ...

Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
DG mentioned Zionsville and Noblesville.

One place rarely mentioned here is Wannamaker. It's basically a former small town that was annexed by Indy and still has its main drag. There's a mix of newer and older homes close by, and the kids would attend Franklin Township Schools (or Luthern and Roncalli high schools are close if private schooling is desired). I know property taxes have been a concern in Franklin Township, but I think the new caps are taking care of that.

Could New Palestine be another option?

Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,139 times
I have not ever been there, but from what I hear Brownsburg may be good for you.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:17 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,441 times
Here are your best options and it is not a short list:

Noblesville
Fishers
Westfield
Zionsville
Avon
Plainfield
Danville
Greenwood
Franklin
Greenfield (very snobby, closed-minded, unaccepting people)
Shelbyville
the SE side of Indianapolis/Marion County in an area called Franklin Township

Old 02-02-2010, 06:06 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,081 times
Avon lacks a "downtown" area, but they are working on it, Brownsburg and Plainfield each have that sort of downtown or town square thing. Danville too.

These are all in Hendricks County, and all within about a 25-30 minute commute to downtown Indy.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 AM

24 posts, read 80,215 times
After reading your requirements, the first thing that popped in my head was Zionsville. It will be easy to meet all of your requirments except for the 25 minute commute to downtown. Here are a list of possible suburbs:Noblesville - meets all requs but long commute.Fishers - meets all reques but still long commute and congested.Westfield - meets all requs but over an hour commute to the circle.Zionsville - easily meet requs with easy drive on I65 to downtown but may be over 35 minutes to downtown.Avon - no Main Street, no easy access to Interstate, but nice area.Plainfield - meets requs and has easy interstate access to downtown.Greenwood - a sprawling suburb, located in the right place would have easy access to I65 and downtown. Has a Main Street.Beech Grove - this has I65 access and 15-20 drive to downtown, this is a lower middle class area.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:18 PM

50 posts, read 133,582 times
Default go west indianapolis

I would go west right past clarian west that way you have good
medical within a decent area or go up a bit into brownsburg
that is approximately 25 minutes from downtown indianapolis
I grew up in Indianapolis near north and back then it was safer

I had so much fun growing up in Indy

And traffic is not as bad as some places
I think your lucky because houses now in Indy are going for cheap

Best of luck

genuine hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjmmgtm View Post
Hello Everyone! My husband has a job opportunity in Indianapolis, and we were hoping you guys could help us find a neighborhood/town/suburb, that will work for us. Here are our vitals!

Small son so school district is very important

Small town feel (an actual main street feeling!)

Low Crime

3 bed 2 bath home for under 225000 (we are willing to do some work, and we don't mind an older home)

Less than 25 minute commute to downtown (how bad is traffic around indianapolis?)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 02-04-2010, 02:51 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,081 times
I disagree that Avon doesn't have easy access to 465. it's a straight shot down either 10th street or Rockville rd to get onto 465.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:18 PM

24 posts, read 80,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Morris View Post
I disagree that Avon doesn't have easy access to 465. it's a straight shot down either 10th street or Rockville rd to get onto 465.
Ms. Morris has a valid point.

The drive from Dan Jones Road and Rockville Road (heart of Avon) to I-465 is 6 miles on a four lane road with stoplights. If going downtown via the interstate, there would be a jog around to I-70 East.

Respectfully,

Bulldog46208
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis