Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 AM

10 posts, read 49,352 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband has applied for a job in Indy. We have two teenagers who take AP classes, so quality of schools is the most important. I was wanting to know where would be a good place to look for housing? Our price would be less than 400k, we like new houses and we like the burbs. Any suggestions? It looks like Carmel and Fishers are good, but which is better? Or what are the differences? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 10:35 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,492,433 times
Carmel is older and actually has something of a downtown undergoing a big renovation. Carmel High School is huge but has a good scholastic reputation. Fishers is, to me, a huge number of subdivisions tied together with good schools but no real "center" although the town has a good library and metro buildings off 116th. Zionsville is a small village that has been surrounded by suburbs and also has good schools. I would suggest deciding on the "best" school for your family and then look for homes.

Your kids will likely be going to huge high schools and need to have strong personalities to be recognized but there are a lot of transfers into these schools so they will not be the only ones.

Your price range is available in all the areas above Indy downtown. Any likelihood of private schools? We have an International School and Park Tudor (I dont know the others). If this is possible or being considered, then I would suggest other areas to live in for convenience.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:03 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,767,067 times
what it boils down to is do you want your teens to graduate from a 5K student high school or a 2.5K high school. Carmel won't split their high school so they can keep winning state championships. Hamilton Southeastern schools (Fishers) split their high schools a few years ago.

All 3 are excellent. But you may also want to look into Zionsville. Their HS is small than the other 3 and their school system is top notch as well. Compares evenly with Carmel and Fishers.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 19,699 times
Don't forget the south side! It was a great place to grow up in the 1970s and '80s for me. I attended Perry Meridian High School, and some of the schools farther south of it, such as Franklin Central High School and, in particular, Center Grove High School, operate truly superior secondary education programs. Also, don't forget Indy's significant number of private and charter schools, too! Some of the Catholic institutions, such as Bishop Chatard, are highly rated nationally and extraordinary safe.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM

166 posts, read 375,688 times
I concur with the north burbs.

Zionsville is probably the best all-around option. <mod edit>

And I'm sure you know better than to consider anything inside 465.

Last edited by domergurl; 01-19-2011 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: edit inflamatory statement

Old 02-19-2011, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 49,352 times
Thanks for all of the input. It pretty much confirmed what I could gather snooping around online. Still waiting to find out. We are considering private, so I will take a second look at those schools you mentioned. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis