Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 10:20 PM

23 posts, read 126,780 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We are going to move to Indy. My wife loves gardening, but she's afraid of the cold weather there that she may not be able to do gardening. She loves to have roses, etc. How much gardening is possible in Indy's weather? What kind of plants grow there? I'm talking about outdoors, not indoor planting.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 04:33 AM

197 posts, read 1,069,389 times
Well, it gets pretty cold in the winter, but drive around and you will see, plenty of gardening according to the season. I'm not an expert here but from mid April to mid October your wife will be able to play with the plants outside.

I live in Greenwood, IN (suburb south of Indy) and a neighbor a few houses down the road from mine have roses on their front yard and they were beautiful last year.

We don't have much time for it, therefore I planted a lot of perenials that came back this year without problems.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:11 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,892,896 times
I am a wannabe landscaper and my plants THRIVE in Indiana. Year round gardening is out, but once the spring comes, you can go crazy! We had roses and kicked butt, but I became allergic to them and had to kill them, or they would kill me (I still have outbreaks of sporotrichosis 2 years later!). I put out pansies as annuals in early April, and even with the big cold snap we had, they drooped a little, but I kept them watered and they are still here! My daffys were really confused, but they came and went during their usual bloom time. Now my lillys are coming in and they will be spectacular. We are moving in 2 weeks and I am getting giddy at the thought of being able to start fresh!

I can't wait to get veggies in the ground.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:31 AM

4,101 posts, read 11,543,735 times
I have grown roses (checked for hardiness), perennials, and annuals. One year I had a stunning vegetable garden but found it was so hot in August, I did not want to do a lot of outdoor vegetable garden work. You really can grow most anything but tropicals.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,189,161 times
Gardening is sensational in North Central Indiana. You can grow just about anything from the ground up.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,686 times
If she loves gardening it means she knows a lot a things about it. Just tell her we are in Zone 5 and she will probably know what she can have or have not in her garden. I am a gardener myself and crazy about it :-) I have trees (fruit and flowering) and shrubs as well as hundreds of flowers and bulbs. I even have a few banana trees and a palm tree in my garden!(which is pretty unusual for Indiana). They do not need any lift in fall nor protection over winter as they are hardy to zone 5 and made it through winter. Roses do well...better said "very well" in my garden . The secret to a "happy" gardening and thriving plants in your Indy garden is respecting 2 important rules : always check for hardiness and (most of the time) change the soil. The soil is awful here. It's a pure clay that lacks nutrients and it's hard like cement. Many people I know complain their plants die or look bad. I don't... as I did a crazy thing : I changed the soil (removed the existing one and replaced with a mix of dirt,clay and compost) on a depth of 2-3 feet in the entire garden. I added a layer of mulch to protect my plants over winter and keep moist during summer and that's it. Your wife can find a lot of info about plants(flowers,shrubs,trees) searching on google. Just type in "the name of the plant" followed by "care".
I hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:32 AM

4,101 posts, read 11,543,735 times
An elderly friend just gave me last week a huge bouquet of roses. He also runs a farmer's market garden.

I have grown a garden and can be wonderfully successful. People are always bringing in excess produce. There are fruit orchards around Indy although peaches are usually frozen out.

Cold weather is actually necessary for some plants to make them go properly dorment.

So dont worry about gardening. There is a Master Gardener program she may be interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis