Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2007, 09:21 AM

7 posts, read 23,192 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm an engineer currently in Michigan and some recruiters are trying to place me down Alison Transmission in Indianapolis. In case this does come through I have a few questions about the Indy area.

1) places to live. I'm single and looking for an apartment if I move. What good areas are there to look at within say 20 to 25 minutes commute time of Alison? (can someone give me a rough idea what side of town they are on?) Low crime, good value, friendly areas would be nice to know about, or at least warnings of places to avoid as too violent, expensive, or otherwise unpleasant would be enough.

2) If possible locations that have less hectic commute routes or at least warnings which freeways to avoid and when (say I-?? West if half the commuters use that every day) would be appreciated. What is the general pattern of traffic for the daily Indy commute?

3) I'm Roman Catholic, help finding a parish down there would like wise be appreciated.

4) This is my first major move, so any suggestions from more experienced movers of things I should be asking and haven't would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 10:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
If I were a young-un, I'd live downtown. There are many Catholic Churches down there ... a gorgeous one is across from the Hoosier Dome (I'll always call it that folks!). Also, you'll be close to the transmission plant and be able to enjoy living in an urban setting.

Sweetana ... do you concur?

Old 05-15-2007, 11:23 AM

Downtown? I'm moving from the suburbs of Detroit, so that's a choice I wouldn't make up here. Does the Indy area have any city/county income taxes I should watch out for? (another reason to avoid living in the City of Detroit)

Old 05-15-2007, 11:54 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
I live downtown and any county taxes are just that, county. The sales tax on things like eating out is about 1% higher (stadium you know) but this is all minor considering our benefits.

Downtown has the minor league baseball, Fieldhouse for basketball, Brand new stadium for the Colts going up (huge huge thing). All within walking distance of the center of the city which also has a wide variety of restaurants, bars, a large mall, museums, canal, etc.

Course you dont have to live downtown to enjoy it, it is just we do and like living close to everything. Plus I as a woman feel safe.

Indy is a lot different from Detroit. There are a few areas to avoid but the closer in areas are rapidly gentrifying both residentially and commercially adn pushing problem areas out.

Indianapolis used to be full of small Catholic (Italian, Polish, etc.) neighborhoods. We have some terrific Catholic schools all the way thru high school and they are very active. I cant give you much more info since I am not Catholic except to say there are parishes all over and you just need to decide where to live and get plugged in.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 AM
SJU

131 posts, read 722,636 times
If you want to get away from a downtown atmosphere (although downtown Indy is very different from Detroit), you have a lot of options. What side of town will you be working on?
East--try Brownsburg or Avon
West--Greenfield
North--Carmel, Zionsville
South--Greenwood, Beech Grove

Old 05-16-2007, 10:43 AM

South West I think, but don't hold me to that. Any areas in particular around Indianapolis to avoid?

Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 PM
SJU

131 posts, read 722,636 times
Just depends what you're looking for really. Beech Grove is a good area on the southwest side. Southport, Greenwood, even New Whiteland (though further south) are good communities.

What to avoid? The near-downtown area, probably. But even downtown isn't like Detroit's downtown! There are some really good neighborhoods there, as well, if you take some time to find them.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:16 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
to most everyone who asks where to live in Indy: Indy is huge. The inner part of I465 is 10 miles by 10 miles and we are totally surrounded by more suburban areas that all are slightly different. Some more like towns and some more like planned developments with strip malls as the center and subdivisions of homes surrounding them. We have historic to new areas.

If you are looking to live here, first identify your job area. Then decide on what other things are important. Commute time, cost, church, stores, gym, sports facilities, big or small, apt or house, etc. You can find most anything on all four sides. But the north side is more corporate professional and high cost.

Do you want to walk to things, bike, drive. Do you mind driving in order to live in the country?

How much are you able to afford?

All these things are pretty necessary to get an answer more than "this is where I live and I like it? Which is pretty meaningless because we all value different things.

Ask where things are instead of where should I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis