Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 06:38 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,530 times

Advertisements

I went through all the thread titles on this forum and didnt see one specifically adressing Pre school and kindergarten. My wife recently accepted a job with DFAS and we will be heading for Indy in June. We have a 4 year old daughter who just finished her 1st year of Head start here in Michigan. We also have a son who was the youngest in the headstart classes at 3. We are looking to live ine the Geist/Fishers or Lawerence areas somewhere close to DFAS.

My daughter will be 5, 10/12 but the one kindergarten we were looking at said students must be 5 by 9/1. Also they said registration was on 3/24 which has obviously passed. Are these hard rules with no room for bending or breaking. What other restrictions or regulations should we be aware of. I dont think we will be able to get my son into head start because we will no meet income requirements so Im thinking some kind of equivelent or pre school or good day care etc...

I would be very interested in anyones experiences with pre school and kindergarten age children. Where they went, what public schools might offer, how much it costs if you have to pay out of pocket and good schools or pre schools in the areas in and around DFAS, Lawerence, Fishers or anywhere else with in resonable travel of these areas

I titled this thread specifically so someone searching for this info would have some key words that will hit. Any info, data, links, experiences that might help others beside me would also be appreciated.

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 06:08 AM

16 posts, read 89,372 times
I would recommend Fishers/Geist area. We live in Geist and DFAS is very close (down Olio, across pendleton). I own property in that area so I am there all the time and it takes me no time to get there.. maybe 10 - 15 minutes. There is never traffic.

Geist Elementary in Hamilton Southeastern Schools is top notch. Try to stay in HSE schools - some of the best in the state. Our daughters go there and our son is in Fall Creek Intermediate - all part of HSE.

If you need a good real estate agent that knows this area - PM me or email me. My wife is a real estate agent. One of the reasons we moved into this area was b/c of property values (near the lake), schools and overall a great place to live.

Good luck on your transition.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:09 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Brooks School Road Elementary in the HSE district offers pre/K as a peer modeling program. I knew some people who sent their kids and they LOVED the program. I sent my first daughter to the Goddard school on 116th & Brooks School. It was very academic based and very very expensive (we had just moved to the area and I didn't know any better). My second daughter went to a fantastic preschool called My Backyard at Geist Sports Academy off Pendleton Pike and Oaklandon Road. I'd send my third child there, but we moved!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks for your responses. As i wade through all of this info its becoming clear that the state doesnt provide any kind of pre K school or Kindergarten. I think here in Michigan they do and my 4 year old was screened and scheduled for pre K 3 days a week for 3 hours. My 3 year old son would have went back to head start for another year. So im looking at the various co-ops religious and also public offerings (brook school rd) and apparently this is going to require forking over some cash. I guess the decision is how much do you want to spend and what do you expect from the school. It was alot easier when I filled out the application for Head start 3 years ago and these people started showin up at my house weekly for home visits for 2 years and then sent a bus for mon-thus 8 to 1pm for this school year.

Heres some discussion ive found helpful so far in this search about prices and times of pre K and kinder programs

IndyMoms | Where Moms Connect (broken link)

As I dig up info I find helpful i'll bring it back here. Again anyone feel free to relate their experiences

thanx domergurl and CCLLC

Old 04-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Heres a couple of articles discussing legislation that passed in 2007 injecting millions into the Full day kindergarten and pre K programs. It sounds like the timing of my move might be good. If anyone has info on how the funding of this program is manifesting itself in Indy I'd be all ears

Thousands more to benefit from full-day kindergarten

Old 04-03-2008, 06:27 AM

You have to keep in mind that in Indiana, Kindergarten is NOT required by the state.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:58 PM

39 posts, read 162,584 times
Default carmel advantage

Having justed moved here in January - with a 7 and 4 year old I reasearched both Fishers and Carmel. You simply can not go wrong with either school system - Carmel does have a HUGE highschool, but I thought deal with that later. The main advantage Carmel offered was Full-Day kindergarten and in Fishers (Hamilton SE) this is not going to happen in the next year or two.
It may be that not every elementary school offers Full Day kindergarten, but I know that Forest Dale does.
Good luck.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:26 AM

If I understand correctly, Carmel's fully day k is a pay program, not free. I recall that their free k program is staggered, with the kids going full day 2 days a week and half day on Fridays ... is that right? It would confuse me.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:20 AM

39 posts, read 162,584 times
Okay... I did forget to mention that Carmel full day is a pay program, however it is much cheaper than private nursery or kindergarten program. I now know why I forgot the non-pay option it is alternating days.

The below text is taken directly from Carmel Clay Schools website...
Exploring Program Options (http://www1.ccs.k12.in.us/district/kindergarten/exploring-options - broken link)
Exploring Program Options
Carmel Clay Schools offers all kindergarten students an outstanding early childhood program grounded in positive learning experiences that are both developmentally appropriate and intellectually engaging. The Carmel Clay Schools kindergarten curriculum, which incorporates the Indiana Academic Standards for kindergarten, provides for a balanced program that nurtures individual growth and development, builds a strong foundation of readiness skills, and fosters student social, emotional, and academic growth. The kindergarten curriculum is the same for both full-time and alternating day programs, but is extended horizontally for students participating in the full-time program. This expansion provides increased opportunities for student individual and small group interaction, time to explore topics in-depth, extended opportunities for student engagement and self-initiated learning, and increased time and opportunity to explore language.

Carmel initiated its full-day, everyday kindergarten program in the fall of 2001 at four pilot sites with support from a two-year grant from the Indiana Department of Education. A summary of student performance data and anecdotal information shared by both parents and teachers from the original four pilot sites indicates positive outcomes for students participating in the full-day program as follows:

Skills mastered by May in the full-time program exceeded those in the alternating day program by an average of 6.6%. Math composite gains affected 75% of full-time students vs. 37% of part-time students.

The earlier mastery of letters and sounds seemed to positively impact reading and writing skills in the full-time program.

Teacher observations noted increased confidence levels, creativity, and interaction with peers in the full-time program.

A random selection of parent surveys reflected 100% parent satisfaction.

Carmel Clay Schools believes that all students benefit from a quality kindergarten experience and recognizes the importance of offering program options to best meet the needs of its prospective kindergarten students. Through participation in either the full- day, everyday or alternating day program, students will enjoy stimulating and developmentally appropriate learning experiences while building a strong foundation for capable and confident life-long learning.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,438 times
Our 7yo went to Carmel Elementary for full day kindergarten - not a pay program! Its a great school but not all the schools in carmel have the full day K program. Some offer just a few days and some offer the full day option with payment. You may want to contact someone in the school administration offices to iron that out. Carmel schools are EXCELLENT and you really can't go wrong with any of them but Carmel elementary was wonderful for us and I can't recommend it enough.
As to pre k I don't think any of the districts offer that but there are plenty of private pre k's and day cares. Keep the difference in mind between a prek and a day care organization. Our son tried three before we finally found a good one ( and then he started K in public school!!)
Here are our failures : Community montessori and Temple Beth El Preschool. Our major success was at Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation on Meridian. Frankly it all comes down to the individual teacher so you may be better off trying to get recommendations based on that than on a general preschool rating .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis