Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 AM

891 posts, read 2,466,168 times

Advertisements

I would stay far away from any Speedway Apartments - don't even consider it.

Have you considered a roommate? That would save you some big $$ right there and then you could live closer to campus and in a safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 06:57 AM

369 posts, read 688,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfedwards88 View Post
I will be a first-year graduate student at IUPUI in the Fall, and I need some more information about Indianapolis. I'm from Hays, KS (cue the Wizard of Oz references), and Indy will be the first major city I will have lived in.

My main concern is housing. The campus apartments are ridiculously expensive for campus housing, but I'm not certain what else is available. The research I've been doing tells me to stay away from any Zender properties, but that only eliminates so many options.

Ideally I'd like to be downtown near campus, but I am open to suggestions of safe apartments (my parents are VERY concerned about safety, so the most dangerous neighborhood discussion has been helpful), and ideally I'd like to pay betwee $500 and $600 for rent. Is this realistic?
The Riverwalk Apts, located on campus, are costly, but not a bad place to live. Now, there are private options near campus: Lockefiled Garden Apartments is located just north of campus. You get your own parking (a garage is extra) and it is next to a campus parking lot seperated by a fence (with a few access points). You also have Canal Square and Gardens of Canal Courts. Canal Sq. is located on the west side of the canal off West St., just east of campus. The Gardens of Canal Courts are located on the north end of the canal, a few blocks further away. There is another, older complex just east of Canal Square on the east side of the canal. These places would be your best bet in terms of being able to walk to school. You are only about 15-20 mins. from shopping, and these are good areas. You can find decent super markets and such in so-so areas within 10 mins. if you shop during the day, evening. Lockefield and Gardens are owned by Sexton Properties. Lockefield will costs you just under $700 for a one bedroom, the Gardens are newer and nicer and costs a lot more. Oh, I just discovered the other complex is called Canal Overlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfedwards88 View Post
I hear the public transportation isn't the greatest, and I will be bringing my own car. Is most of the parking metered in Indy? Have you had many problems with car burglaries?
Public transportation sucks. Parking in the downtown mile squre is metered or garage parking. If you don't live near IUPUI, you will need a parking pass to park on campus. Parking is plenty on the main campus if you arrive early. Once the fall semeter is over, there is always parking on the main campus. Chances are you won't be able to park in, right next to, or under the building you work/learn in, but at the most, you are looking at a mile walk if you arrive on campus mid-day, M-Thursday, during the fall semester. Note they offer a totally free parking lot with a shuttle service that runs 15 mins. This lot is off of Indiana Ave. and is called Jag Parking.

Car burglaries are likely the #1 crime at IUPUI. Not only that, they happen _everywhere_ in the metro area. Do not leave _anything_ but trash visible in your vehicle. If you have an empty docking station displayed, your windows will be smashed and your vehicle looked through. If you have a docking station that uses suction cups on the windows, and you don't remove those ring marks, your windows will be busted and your vehicle looked through. Car break-ins happen all the time, people leave wallets, purses, GPS units, I-Pods, etc. in plain view. Remember, you are living in a major city with poor, crack head, meth head population. If you display your bling bling with car audio/performace stickers, they could break into your vehicle. Advertising your stuff is not wise, unless you want it taken.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:06 AM

369 posts, read 688,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
First and foremost, don't let the "everything south of 38th street is ghetto" scare you from missing the good areas south of 38th Street. Fall Creek Place, Herron-Morton, Irvington, Old Northside, Ransom Place, Holy Cross, Garfield Park-South, Speedway, etc.; there are a lot of great neighborhoods/areas south of 38th street.
Everyone should note, that while not all areas south of 38th street, near the downtown area, is ghetto, just note that basically the ENTIRE SPAN of 38th St., from east to west _IS_ ghetto.

Not only that, crime can happen anywhere. The #1 crime you will run into as a decent, working person is theft. Someone will either break into your car, or home. Getting mugged, raped is a possibility, but a very small one. Most of the killings you will hear about (since it is summer, don't be surprised if homicides spike up somewhat) are nothing but idiots from the hip-hop gangsta culture doing what they always do. The shootings will almost always fall into three categories: Two fools whose response to a street fight is to pull guns instead of using fists. A drug deal gone bad. Or a domestic situation. There are only a few, what I call, innocent third party killings, in Indy. These are your gas station attendants who are robbed. Your runner/bicyclist who gets attacked and beaten. The random home invasion.

So while crime may look bad here, most of it is acquaintance/known assailant related. Yea, we may have a ton of break-ins, but it would surprise you to know how many break-ins were specifically targets due to the drug trade and something similar.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,458 times
Edwards88, I made the move to the circle city myself 5 years ago. I moved to a neighborhood near Marian College, which is on the westside and somewhat near IUPUI. Most of the west is safe. I own several rental houses in the city and before I purchase I check with this tool found on the IMPD (police) Website [url]http://imaps.indygov.org/cvc/wizard.asp[/url] to view which crimes have been commited in a specified area over a specified timeframe. You can sort by violent crimes or property crimes, etc. Also, here is a link the Indianapolis' most wanted, which also lists the part of the city they are from. [url=http://mostwanted.indystar.com/fugitives/68-walker-jason]IndyStar.com | Indy's Most Wanted | The Indianapolis Star[/url] You'll notice that the southside is probably the safest, but not very close to IUPUI. By the way, Fountain Square has about 2 nice blocks, but is surrounded by a decaying neighborhood. The same is true for Broadripple. If you're looking only for safety you have to look where the families are and in downtown the last area like that is Irvington.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 AM

9,000 posts, read 17,461,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawesfra View Post
Fountain Square has about 2 nice blocks, but is surrounded by a decaying neighborhood. The same is true for Broadripple. If you're looking only for safety you have to look where the families are and in downtown the last area like that is Irvington.
I am going to politely disagree. First of all, Irvington is not downtown. Second, Fountain Square has more than 2 good blocks. Third, Broad Ripple does not really border a questionable area; unless you are including places such as 46th and College in your definition of BR; which is not Broad Ripple.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:48 AM

4,101 posts, read 11,564,581 times
The historic areas are a good bet downtown because of the neighbors involvement in activities and crime watch. I live in St. Joseph and if pushed could walk to IUPUI or the hospital area. We have a number of diverse apartment complexes run by different companies. A new couple who are with Americorp just moved into the Apollo at 11th and Alabama. You might check it out. Van Rooy has several. Just a note that you should check each one for quality before renting. Also the older higher buildings may or may not have central air. Check with other tenants for issues.

Call Buckingham (phone on the Ambassador building next to the new library to see if they have news on their new apartment conversions.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 21,914 times
After giving the matter further thought, it doesn't really matter if I'm within walking distance of the campus. My classes are going to be 6 to 9 at night, so it'll probably be best if I fork over money for my parking permit and drive to campus. Thanks for the crime links though; they will be a great help to making educated guesses about where to live. I will be coming to Indy in July in order to inspect my top choices myself. I've seen what happens when you sign a lease sight unseen!

I'm looking a bit further North---The College Courts of Nora are looking like a pretty good deal, but I'm still gathering data. I will look into places like the Apollo and Van Rooy and Stallard properties.

I had breifly considered a roommate, but I don't know anyone in Indy. And I stayed away from the dorms at Fort Hays (my alma mater) so I wouldn't be paired with someone unsufferable and be forced to kill them. That's why I'm focusing on one-bedrooms.

What are your opinions about managed properties versus renting from property owners? One of my friends just introduced me to craigslist. What would be better for a new renter? My inkling is to go with a managed property, if I can avoid finding massive slumlords!

Old 06-10-2009, 04:16 AM

4,101 posts, read 11,564,581 times
If you dont know the area, managed properties give you a little more protection. The bigger companies with good reputations have more "handle" on what is going on and usually more 24 hour assistance.

Remember a studio in a good place is worth much more than a one bedroom in a bad area.

I have lived here 30 years and still have to verify the area of new addresses and the quality of the buildings. We do a lot of garage saleing all over Indy and I am amazed at the good and bad quality.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,158,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am going to politely disagree. First of all, Irvington is not downtown. Second, Fountain Square has more than 2 good blocks. Third, Broad Ripple does not really border a questionable area; unless you are including places such as 46th and College in your definition of BR; which is not Broad Ripple.

Fountain Square is a lovely neighborhood! Very nice there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis