Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 19,078 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a job offer with DFAS Indianapolis located at 5899 E. 56th Street in Indianapolis. I've driven down there to look around at several apartments twice now, but after seeing some crime statistics for parts of that area and some reading here about the Post road area and alot of the slighty farther south areas I'm re-thinking living at most of the apartment complexes I looked at in that area for something a bit further away and safer.

My main concerns are safety, distance from work (preferrably no more then about a 15 minute drive if possible) and price. I'm currently living in West Lafayette about 10 minutes away from Purdue and paying $515 for a teeny-tiny studio (premium for a 10 minute walk to class) but would like a one or two bedroom. Several places around DFAS only wanted less or only slightly more for much nicer and larger places, but the area still worries me especially with my girlfriend being home alone quite a bit while I'll be at work. As a secondary concern I'd like to be in a decent school district as well.

Any input would help a ton, especially recommendations for specific apartment complexes that anyone may have lived at. I've lived in the Mishawaka/South Bend/Elkhart area for most of my life and the college town of West Lafayette for the past 4 years and I know very little about Indianapolis.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:19 AM

891 posts, read 2,449,949 times
Avoid anything near 42nd and Post - don't even consider it as a possibility. I would also stay far away from the 3 or 4 complexes right around 56th and 465 - such as Cottages of Fall Creek, The Orchard, Hunt Club and the one that is really close to Lawrence Central H.S.

If you decided you want to be really close to work - I would look at these - Harrison Place Apt. Harrison Place Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Indianapolis apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
I looked at these when I was trying to decide whewre to live - In the end though I didn't want to live in that area. But they looked pretty nice. I forget what the price is though. Lawrence township schools are OK

Another one I would consider is Grand Reserve at Geist. The reviews aren't really good, but this is a pretty nice place - in an excellent neighborhood and a great school system - Hamilton Southeastern. This probably is a 15 minute drive to work -
Grande Reserve at Geist Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Indianapolis apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

If you are willing to live a little further from work - I could make a few recommendations for places in the Fishers area. One huge word of caution - you get what you pay for. If something seems like a great price or if they are having great move in specials - there is a reason why the price is low

Old 06-02-2009, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 19,078 times
Thanks a lot for your recommendations, I'll definitely look into those! I wouldn't mind hearing what you have to say about Fishers either.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:48 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Fishers is straight suburbia. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:43 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,146 times
Plainfield is a nice area but its probably about 25-35 minutes to DFAS. Lots of affordable housing their with very friendly people and lots of restaurants and shopping amenities.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 10,521 times
New Palestine area. Its about 5-10 minutes from DFAS. Very awesome area.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:25 AM

667 posts, read 2,888,070 times
I would also look in the McCordsville/Fortville area.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:32 AM

438 posts, read 1,359,981 times
I have family and friends that work at DFAS and the 38th Division Band HQ across the street. For the most part they live in Cumberland and Lawrence. From DFAS to friend's house in Cumberland is about 15 minutes in good traffic, closer to 30 in heavy traffic.

FWIW- DFAS postal addy is 8899 E 56th.in case you're using it for 'find near' features for house hunting. After almost 15 years of seeing it on my husbands tax forms every year it's kind of stuck in my brain.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:59 AM

100 posts, read 169,833 times
Let me chime in.

1. I have been living in Grand Reserve at Geist. My main problem is the high electric bill. I didn't check past usage costs with IPL, before I signed the lease. (The apartment staff leave a lot to be desired, too.)

2. I am considering moving to either Harrison Place or North Haven of Carmel.

3. I find this link useful:

CrimeView Community Incident Map

4. Gateway Crossing should be good too. Perhaps the electricity costs are just as high. However, the staff seem to be lot nicer than Grand Reserve's.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:49 AM

3 posts, read 21,032 times
Default We have a Condo for rent

WE have a condo for rent 2541 Chase Way Ct on the corner of 96Th street and towne safe area and close to most anything.

Call 317-418-2732

Thanks
Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis