Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:48 PM

53 posts, read 110,737 times

Advertisements

I am in the US Military, and me and my family (wife and 2 year old son) got orders for the next three years, but plan to buy and stay in the area. I will be working at the Naval Operational Support Center and I know it's just off 65. Now, our problem is we have no idea as to where to try and buy. We want to live in a suburb outside the city, but I've not been able to gather much information. We are fine with being outside the outerbelt, and would prefer it. We have looked at Beech Grove and Greenwood, but have heard bad things about them? So, if you could maybe provide some areas that are:

I will be working on Armory road, just by Riverside park and 30th st. Would like to be close to that, 20 min drive MAX.
Clean
Safe
Family Friendly
Good Area
Good Schools

We will be moving within a month or so, so we;re in a rush. Just trying to look for some houses. If greenwood is a good area. that would be great too!

Thanks ahead of time for any responses!! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 07:03 PM

I noticed MikiJayne seems to know alot, if you're out there then any ideas would be GREAT!! We may even choose you as our realtor!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:16 PM

149 posts, read 439,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsfamily View Post
I am in the US Military, and me and my family (wife and 2 year old son) got orders for the next three years, but plan to buy and stay in the area. I will be working at the Naval Operational Support Center and I know it's just off 65. Now, our problem is we have no idea as to where to try and buy. We want to live in a suburb outside the city, but I've not been able to gather much information. We are fine with being outside the outerbelt, and would prefer it. We have looked at Beech Grove and Greenwood, but have heard bad things about them? So, if you could maybe provide some areas that are:

I will be working on Armory road, just by Riverside park and 30th st. Would like to be close to that, 20 min drive MAX.
Clean
Safe
Family Friendly
Good Area
Good Schools

We will be moving within a month or so, so we;re in a rush. Just trying to look for some houses. If greenwood is a good area. that would be great too!

Thanks ahead of time for any responses!! Thank you.
I'm a military vet myself so I'm all about supporting the troops.

I don't know who told you Beech Grove and Greenwood are bad areas but I would say they are crazy. Beech Grove is perfect for families and you can find pretty affordable housing there as well. Greenwood is also very nice and a bit more new but probably over 20 mins from where you'll be stationed. The classics Carmel and Fishers are always a good choice but commute will be longer and you'll pay for the nicer area. Look in the area right where you'll be working going north on Kessler, there are some really nice areas along the street and you'll be 5 to 10 minutes away from work.
Also I know MikiJane will read this but I would put money on it that she'll recomend Avon. Avon is nice as well, similar to Greenwood but there is no way you are 20 min drive from it. If you want to live inner city there are so many nice little pockets in the city that would really shorten your commute time. If you need any help let me know.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:23 PM

I 100% do not want to live inner city! I mapquested and Avon is 32 minutes from my work, Greenwood is about 20.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:26 PM

Im looking for something family friendly, with walmart, target and groceries, parks and etc. Just where i dont have to worry about my family or anything.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:45 PM

8,988 posts, read 17,333,658 times
To be fair, Avon is a nice enough town to shamelessly plug all the time; they have a Roscoe's Tacos after all!

Greenwood is nice. They have the only mall in the area that I am willing to drive from the other end of the city to visit. Greenwood reminds me of the nice parts of Toledo, OH.

Beech Grove is a nice little town. The crime rate in Beech Grove ranks among the lowest in Marion County, and it is cheap to boot! I think the closest Target to there is either East Washington or Southport. BG Bowl is a nice little 12-lane alley if that sort of thing interests you.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:46 PM

149 posts, read 439,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsfamily View Post
Im looking for something family friendly, with walmart, target and groceries, parks and etc. Just where i dont have to worry about my family or anything.
Beech Grove or Greenwood sound like winners

Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM

46 posts, read 187,937 times
Ok, to be brutally honest, Beech Grove and Greenwood are looked at as redneck areas. There are plenty of upscale homes and affordable neighborhoods in Greenwood as well as a major mall and lots of shopping and medical facilities.

Everybody wants to move to Carmel and Fishers, but traffic in that part of town is HORRENDOUS.

I once worked at a facility on 30th street and it was a terrible neighborhood. It is an older, low income part of town with abandonded, boarded up houses and a high crime rate. I'm not familiar with NOSC, but hopefully that area is in better shape.

I live in Mooresville and made the drive every day--it was about 30 minutes. Yes, it's more than you wanted to make, but housing (and taxes) are cheaper here. Before moving here I looked in Greenwood found I could save so much on the cost of building a house compared to there, that there was no question it would be worth driving 20-30 minutes to get to any job in Indy.

Two minutes from Mooresville is Camby and Heartland Crossing, a major subdivision. Right now with the foreclosure crisis you can buy 3-4 bedroom 2-story houses less than 5 years old for under $100K. In Heartland Crossing they have numerous houses (repos) for under $90K. Currently, a 2-story home, 1960 sq. ft., built in 2004, is listed at $72,500. The subdivision has parks, a golf course, and a swimming pool.

I also recommend Avon. The business area is newer and trendier than Greenwood and doesn't suffer from the same image problem as Greenwood or Beech Grove.

Here's a link to a site I frequently use to look up housing bargains. I have no ties to the company or anything and I'm not suggesting you have to use them. It's just a great resource for finding houses because it lets you do it by county, school district, street name, subdivision, etc., just click on "property search" after you click on the link below. You'll love it.

Advanced Realty Indianapolis

Old 11-30-2008, 08:54 PM

Awesome, we have a lot of homes we are interested in buying, just wanted to make sure that the people who said they were bad areas were telling the truth or not.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locean View Post
Ok, to be brutally honest, Beech Grove and Greenwood are looked at as redneck areas. There are plenty of upscale homes and affordable neighborhoods in Greenwood as well as a major mall and lots of shopping and medical facilities.

Everybody wants to move to Carmel and Fishers, but traffic in that part of town is HORRENDOUS.

I once worked at a facility on 30th street and it was a terrible neighborhood. It is an older, low income part of town with abandonded, boarded up houses and a high crime rate. I'm not familiar with NOSC, but hopefully that area is in better shape.

I live in Mooresville and made the drive every day--it was about 30 minutes. Yes, it's more than you wanted to make, but housing (and taxes) are cheaper here. Before moving here I looked in Greenwood found I could save so much on the cost of building a house compared to there, that there was no question it would be worth driving 20-30 minutes to get to any job in Indy.

Two minutes from Mooresville is Camby and Heartland Crossing, a major subdivision. Right now with the foreclosure crisis you can buy 3-4 bedroom 2-story houses less than 5 years old for under $100K. In Heartland Crossing they have numerous houses (repos) for under $90K. Currently, a 2-story home, 1960 sq. ft., built in 2004, is listed at $72,500. The subdivision has parks, a golf course, and a swimming pool.

I also recommend Avon. The business area is newer and trendier than Greenwood and doesn't suffer from the same image problem as Greenwood or Beech Grove.

Here's a link to a site I frequently use to look up housing bargains. I have no ties to the company or anything and I'm not suggesting you have to use them. It's just a great resource for finding houses because it lets you do it by county, school district, street name, subdivision, etc., just click on "property search" after you click on the link below. You'll love it.

Advanced Realty Indianapolis
Thanks!! We're checking into that site!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis