Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 7,919 times

Advertisements

My best friend and I are planing on moving to Indy around the end of the year. We're both going to be 22, so we don't want to live in a family oriented area.

We both live in Shelbyville and have taken online courses through Ivy Tech, however we both got accepted to IUPUI. We aren't starting classes there until the Spring 2013 semester, though.

We'd like to be close to IUPUI and would like to be in a nice area. We'd rather rent a home instead of an apartment, although either would do. We've been told to look around Carmel, but 1. they're a little too expensive for us (especially since this is our first time on our own) and 2. a bit too far from IUPUI. I've heard about Irvington, but I've never actually been around there. Some people say it's nice, but others say it's more for families. Broad Ripple wouldn't be a bad choice for us. Brian rarely drinks and has never touched drugs. I like to have a beer with dinner often, but that's as far as our "partying" goes - other than having friends over for poker night.

I was also recently just robbed at gunpoint in Shelbyville (yes, I was the customer of Family Video if you've watched the news about the shooting) so somewhere that is safe is definitely a priority. Brian is also gay, which isn't too big of a deal. But some places are worse than others. His boyfriend also lives in Chicago and comes to visit often, so sometimes they might hold hands. Brian doesn't really care about the situation, but I do. I don't want to see my best friend getting harassed. I know that might happen anywhere, but places with less violence and discrimination is preferred. He's also lactose intolerant and allergic to red meat, so a grocery store with a decent vegetarian/vegan section would be great. I only say that because the Kroger in Shelbyville only really carries Tofu and Soymilk, which he also has a soy sensitivity. I heard most downtown groceries are pretty well stocked, though. But I've heard there is a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's around Indianapolis. Close to those would be awesome, but it's not a priority. I have the addresses, but I've never been to either area of which they're in.

I honestly don't really have too many firm demands. We just don't know where to look. Greenwood isn't really a bad option, but we'd rather live around downtown and around the northside because my dad lives in Carmel. I just don't know anyone in downtown Indianapolis who can give us some guidance, and neither does Brian. Pretty much, the bare basics is that there has to be two bedrooms (maybe three), close to IUPUI, and pretty safe. I've only heard of Villa Paree in Broad Ripple and heard it's awful. In between Broad Ripple and IUPUI wouldn't be a bad choice for us. So, if anyone knows of some good rental homes there, that'd be great. Also, we're both college students so we don't really make a lot of money. We both just have decent paying retail jobs, that we're already told can be transferred to the Indianapolis stores.

So if anyone knows of some good rental homes, apartments, or companies that can help us find those, you'd be helping us out a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 10:03 AM

25 posts, read 38,698 times
If you are looking for apartments, there are many in downtown Indy ( we were given a list by our employer), I cannot tell you which ones would be most convenient to your school building...Also, many apartment complexes around schools usually have discounts, as I am sure around IUPUI too...I didnt go to school in Indiana , so dont know the specific ones, but googling something like "student discount apartments at IUPUI" or some similar thing should help you out. Also, speak to your school student services and they should offer suggestions too...

Old 01-13-2012, 04:03 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,494,504 times
I live downtown and truly enjoy how close everything is and love not having to get in a car to get everything. Next, I like the vibe of the whole Broad Ripple area. I also dont drink or care anything for bars. However, I love the farmers market and the closeness of all again so I dont have to get in a car. We lived very close to BR for 10 years and loved the whole area. It is amazing to walk or run the canal path and we did it before it was paved and "improved". Lots of easy access to downtown.

Next, is the area around the Monon on 86th. We do almost all our shopping along 86th street so it would all be accessible but a longer commute.

Walkability is one of our highest priorities so downtown and BR are our favorities and cover a huge area so there is a lot of choice.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,158,518 times
You might want to look into Fountain Square

Old 01-14-2012, 07:10 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,524,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
You might want to look into Fountain Square
i 2nd this also.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:03 AM

38 posts, read 91,191 times
You may also want to look at the Mass Ave area too.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:09 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,816,490 times
I would say fountain square, too, or downtown(I'm bi and would prefer downtown)...check out Home. they have some decent rentals ...also check with van rooy properties

Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,919 times
Awesome! Thank you all for giving me some options. Moving is a little daunting. I just didn't think too much about it until this passed weekend when I was robbed and he was hassled a little bit at a store in Gary, Indiana. I know not many places are like that, but before thinking about it, we probably would have moved anywhere. Anywhere that was cheap at least. Now I'm just making sure I don't get robbed again and he's not picked on. He doesn't care. He just shrugged it off. But I care. No one likes seeing their best friend getting picked on because of their sexuality.

Also, he is a HUGE jogger and would love jogging down the canal. I didn't think about that at all. So that would be great also. Farmer's Market would be awesome too. I didn't think about any of this.

You guys are helping me out so much. Thank you all.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:53 PM

16 posts, read 39,519 times
Be careful of Fountain Square, there are some sketchy areas, but overall it's not too bad.

I lived in Greenwood, right off the Southport Rd. exit and it was only a 20-minute commute to IUPUI and I loved it. I tended to find that the closer you live to downtown the higher the rent will be for a smaller place to live, so it depends on how much room you want and how far you'd be able to commute, really.

Mass Ave would be awesome if you could score a deal there, it's very artsy and unique.

I wish I knew of some houses, but unfortunately I have no clue. Check Craigslist, people post houses for rent on there all the time Also, if you're already in the IUPUI system, log into your Onestart account and click the classifieds section, students advertise for roommates and rentals on there and there's been some really good deals I've seen.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 7,913 times
I just recommended this to another peep today, Shadeland Station apartments.

I used to work at Union Station which is in the heart of downtown and it was a very easy commute in the morning. I am thinking the college IUPUI is downtown no? If so, I would say 20 minutes. Alternative lifestyle would not be anything new to that location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis