Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 10:47 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times

Advertisements

Now that Amazon owns Whole Foods, I look for Whole Foods grocery stores to start popping in small and medium size cities all over the United States instead of only the affluent areas of large metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 12:45 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I'm in Florida most of the time, and here's my take on Publix:

Yes, they're expensive. However, their stores are clean, well lit, well stocked and staffed. They offer a wide range of choices and have a good house brand and very good produce.

But -

Brand name products I can get elsewhere, such as Walmart, for far less. Publix plays the marketing game very, very well. Sure, you can come in and grab their BOGO stuff, but the minute you buy that box of Cheezits for $4.50 you've blown your savings because the same box of Cheezits is $2.50 at Walmart.

I play their game using their own resources, that is, I use their phone app to search BOGO items that are of interest to me and shop for those and those only. I buy nothing else from the store, so essentially, I'm beating them at their own game. That's not my motivation for doing it - I only buy stuff I need that's a BOGO. I might go there once or twice a month, if that.

RM
I pretty much do the same thing with Publix. I imagine quite a few people do since the store is way overpriced. I would love to have a Trader Joe's near me.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:06 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I pretty much do the same thing with Publix. I imagine quite a few people do since the store is way overpriced. I would love to have a Trader Joe's near me.
There's one in South Tampa, the Tampa equivalent of Carmel and the north Meridian corridor area, which I've visited. I wasn't impressed and I wouldn't travel the 40 minutes it would take to go there for the few things that might interest me.

I've shopped at the one on the northside of Indy, too. Once. Again, it wasn't worth the trip for me.

Publix makes it easy now with their app. You can sort the weekly specials for BOGOs. I was just there this afternoon to buy some fresh fish, as they have the best stuff around here, and BOGOs. Ketchup and pretzels were all they had this week that I wanted/needed.

I don't mind paying for high quality groceries, like fresh fish or seafood. The basic necessities that everyone carries I'm going to shop for at the lowest possible price.

RM

Old 04-09-2021, 05:32 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Quote:
These type stores both contribute to class divide, and hinder access to healthier Food options for Americans. They set up in higher income locations, regions and for many are far and few between locations. Its not surprising many have never had the chance to shop in these stores.
Whole Foods and Trader Joe's aren't stopping anyone from buying organic food from Walmart or any other market--or growing their own.

Quote:
I have several neighbours from Indiana that have never been in either. Yet they would like them in their area of Indiana. Same here in Florida. They only set up where there is a higher income. Even though the few times I have been in them down in Orlando 75 miles away. I found better buys than our Rip off monopoly of a grocery store Publix. So it's a Shame both stores don't try a new concept. Try opening locations closer to a more varied clientele.
You mean in poor neighborhoods.

We had a twee little co-op here on the east side of Indianapolis at one of the highest-crime intersections in the city. It was a nonprofit that carried pristine local food. It folded. Even after the show Returning the Favor with Mike Rowe generously revamped and reopened the store, it folded again. Likewise, Tyner Pond in a more middle-class area nearby also went out of business within a few years after it opened. People mostly shop on price around here, and they can (and do) fill their carts with junk food at the local Kroger.

I'd be happy to do more of my shopping at Kroger since it's so close. But they don't carry Simple Truth meats anymore--not even the Kroger on Shadeland. I'm what OSHA calls a canary and can't eat the chickens they lace with carrageenan.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:38 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I'm in Florida most of the time, and here's my take on Publix:

Yes, they're expensive. However, their stores are clean, well lit, well stocked and staffed. They offer a wide range of choices and have a good house brand and very good produce.

But -

Brand name products I can get elsewhere, such as Walmart, for far less. Publix plays the marketing game very, very well. Sure, you can come in and grab their BOGO stuff, but the minute you buy that box of Cheezits for $4.50 you've blown your savings because the same box of Cheezits is $2.50 at Walmart.

I play their game using their own resources, that is, I use their phone app to search BOGO items that are of interest to me and shop for those and those only. I buy nothing else from the store, so essentially, I'm beating them at their own game. That's not my motivation for doing it - I only buy stuff I need that's a BOGO. I might go there once or twice a month, if that.

RM
Ya, I never got the Publix love. Their stores are all the things you mentioned (clean, well stocked, etc.), But whenever my wife and I shopped there in TN we ended up spending more... I just never felt like it was worth it. We're not coupon people though. I've been much more impressed by Kroger and Meijers new stores. They're similar to super targets, offering more than just groceries, with a premium feel.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:31 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Ya, I never got the Publix love. Their stores are all the things you mentioned (clean, well stocked, etc.), But whenever my wife and I shopped there in TN we ended up spending more... I just never felt like it was worth it. We're not coupon people though. I've been much more impressed by Kroger and Meijers new stores. They're similar to super targets, offering more than just groceries, with a premium feel.
I have the same opinion, Meijer's has great coupons much of the time, usually better than Kroger, and they also send me physical coupons in the mail in addition to all the digital coupons. The problem I have with Meijer is that they are very aggressive about discontinuing any lower selling items, and that is aggravating.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:15 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
TJ's is great for frozen and prepared foods that I'd have no hope of finding at my local grocery store. There's also plenty of cheap goods in there that are interesting.

They're a limited assorted grocer. I think they would be supported in far more communities than they are in. I don't see any reason why either wouldn't be supported with the continued south side suburban growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis