Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:55 PM

1,347 posts, read 952,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Indy passed a transit referendum by popular vote in 2016 to fund BRT.
I hadn't even heard about this, had to do some googling. Has any progress been made on implementation, i.e. is there actually more public transit currently available as a result? My initial reaction was that this is fairly limited, given that it's still only buses and there are only a handful of new routes (and just a single one reaching one of the north suburbs). Maybe I'm missing something, but I suspect Amazon will be underwhelmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 01:07 PM

8,992 posts, read 17,373,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I hadn't even heard about this, had to do some googling. Has any progress been made on implementation, i.e. is there actually more public transit currently available as a result? My initial reaction was that this is fairly limited, given that it's still only buses and there are only a handful of new routes (and just a single one reaching one of the north suburbs). Maybe I'm missing something, but I suspect Amazon will be underwhelmed.
If memory serves, construction on the Red Line is supposed to start in the spring. A lot of cities are opening BRT lines in place of rail to save money. However, the state might now be open to allowing light rail in the Indianapolis area after banning a couple of years ago.

With hopes of landing Amazon, lawmakers reconsider state ban on light rail in Indianapolis

Old 01-24-2018, 02:15 PM

56 posts, read 76,155 times
Quote:

It's the first step in a regional transit plan. You can find the whole plan easily online, if you care to.

These systems take decades to build out....but you have to start somewhere. That's all this is, a starting point. It will have to prove viabilty before the surrounding counties fund expansions into the true suburbs. Again, likely a decade or more for that

Old 01-24-2018, 03:36 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,921,436 times
Quote:
The House panel voted to reverse the metropolitan area ban on light rail. Indy is rapidly moving in the right direction.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:39 PM

251 posts, read 313,167 times
That one guy sounds like a Chicago troll from SSP.....SSP is skyscraperpage.com in case the mod thinks it's something dirty.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:06 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,453,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
My argument is that more people live in other cities despite being more expensive and more traffic because other cities are better and more desirable. Even by percentages, Chicago and other large cities have way more out of state transplants than Indy. Everyone knows about Indiana’s brain drain. Only a lifelong Indiana homer would believe the things you and some of the other posters posted and think indy has a legitimate chance.
Actually, I'm from Denver--something I mentioned earlier. In the summer of 2015, I spent my weekends and evenings researching Indianapolis: news, statistics, cost of living, the state's fiscal responsibility, neighborhood engagement, regulations, flights, Google street view--and everything indicated an undervalued city poised for growth and prosperity. Everything that had been happening in Denver for 20 years was starting to happen in Indy. Everybody thought I was crazy to move from Indy to Denver. Everybody was wrong. I was right because I looked at Indianapolis versus Denver rationally.

Speaking of which, you might want to consider your continual appeals to popularity before accusing Indiana, or anywhere else, of a brain drain.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:14 PM

Indy ranked 4th best Amazon site in one study; 8th in another.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...ys/1059551001/

Old 01-24-2018, 05:38 PM

4,423 posts, read 2,981,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Indy ranked 4th best Amazon site in one study; 8th in another.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...ys/1059551001/
And vegas says its last.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...-2/1046310001/

Old 01-24-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I think you mean Ireland.

Oddsshark (which I think is in Las Vegas) puts Indianapolis in the top 10. Their favorite is Nashville.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:38 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,431,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I think you mean Ireland.

Oddsshark (which I think is in Las Vegas) puts Indianapolis in the top 10. Their favorite is Nashville.
Oddsshark's website is registered in the UK. Not sure where there's anything tying them to Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis