Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:51 AM

5,986 posts, read 7,494,391 times

Advertisements

Go ask the folks in Southeast Wisconsin and Scott Walker how much they're going to benefit from the money the state threw at Foxconn.

Pretty much the same situation.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 09:39 PM

35,337 posts, read 31,764,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Not only Dallas and Atlanta, but Denver, Austin, Chicago, Minneapolis, and Pittsburgh.

Nashville did get a nice consolation prize, though, 5000 corporate jobs averaging $140,000 a year. Congratulations to Nashville. I think it cost Nashville and Tennessee alot of money to win that consolation prize. Time will tell if it was well worth the sacrifices. As quickly as things change in this high information age, I think alot of these tech giants that have rose to prominence and dominance in the last 10 years or so, are liable to fizzle out just as quickly as they came on to the scene. They have not proven they have longevity.

I don't wanna hijack the thread, so, I'll just say that I think the Amazon/Jeff Bezo decision was as much of a political decision as it was a business decision, if not more so, and leave it at that.
I highly, highly doubt the average will be $140,000.

Amazon said this facility was for operations. That's largely meatball stuff compared to bleeding edge development with Alexa, people creating TV shows for Prime Video, AWS senior engineers and devs, etc.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:19 PM

4,528 posts, read 4,702,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I highly, highly doubt the average will be $140,000.

Amazon said this facility was for operations. That's largely meatball stuff compared to bleeding edge development with Alexa, people creating TV shows for Prime Video, AWS senior engineers and devs, etc.
It's all over the news. 5000 jobs average $150,000 a year. See 4th paragraph in the article I linked.

Amazon Chooses Nashville As New 5,000-Job Distribution Hub | WKMS

Old 11-22-2018, 03:19 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,107,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It's all over the news. 5000 jobs average $150,000 a year. See 4th paragraph in the article I linked.

Amazon Chooses Nashville As New 5,000-Job Distribution Hub | WKMS

Nashville is feeling the pain of growth though. They consolidated all the Firestone/Bridgestone jobs from Carmel down there. Some people moved, some didn't. I know that some folks don't like the housing prices which are said to have skyrocketed in recent years. Additionally I guess traffic is horrible.

I'm thankful Indy got Infosys and Salesforce. My main concern with the US is that basically all the jobs would've went to the top ten metro areas and basically most of the productive class would've had to move to one of those areas for employment. Thankfully some of the more mid-sized metro areas are growing as well.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:15 AM

4,427 posts, read 3,004,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Nashville is feeling the pain of growth though. They consolidated all the Firestone/Bridgestone jobs from Carmel down there. Some people moved, some didn't. I know that some folks don't like the housing prices which are said to have skyrocketed in recent years. Additionally I guess traffic is horrible.

I'm thankful Indy got Infosys and Salesforce. My main concern with the US is that basically all the jobs would've went to the top ten metro areas and basically most of the productive class would've had to move to one of those areas for employment. Thankfully some of the more mid-sized metro areas are growing as well.
Indy didn’t “get” salesforce. Their corporate headquarters are still in San Fran.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:17 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,107,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Indy didn’t “get” salesforce. Their corporate headquarters are still in San Fran.

I don't care where the HQ is, just so we get some decent jobs out of any deal. Sure, they were jobs of another company (Exact Target I believe), but was there really anything that made it impossible for Salesforce to just move those jobs? I'm guessing not, so to me it is a win. I'm not sure if they added jobs or not, or how the company views the Indy office. For them to pay to put their name upon our highest skyscraper says something. It would've been a huge blow for all those Exact Target jobs to be taken away, mostly because it seems like many of those jobs pay fairly well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis