Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 01:48 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times

Advertisements

So I shouldn't move to Indy from cali?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 02:55 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
I moved back home to Indiana after living in south Florida (Miami area) for 43 years. The COL is so much lower in Indiana. Insurance (home & auto) is a fraction of the cost. Food and housing is cheaper up here. People are much more friendly, MUCH better drivers, politeness is the norm, much less crime. Life is so much better for me than the crime ridden, crazy, rude, aggressive drivers, outrageously expensive insurance and hurricanes to be dealt with in Florida. I know you were referring to moving from California, but I wanted to put in my two cents worth regarding life in the Midwest. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-25-2017, 02:42 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
So I shouldn't move to Indy from cali?
Take a trip to Indy and explore, hun. Some people think I am crazy for moving from the South to MN, but I love it here it's pure perfection IMO. Btw it's 0 degrees now and I love it. People overhype the cold they act like any temp under 30 is brutal. I am gonna enjoy my cold Christmas and going ice skating. Indianapolis is a lot warmer than up here but you will experience all 4 seasons unlike most of CA. I would never wanna live in California myself. If you wanna change of scenery it's always worth it, but be wise and responsible.

Merry Christmas btw.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:49 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
I have lived in Indianapolis, where I grew up, southeast Wisconsin, Northern California and Florida.

Each had its pluses and minuses, none were/are perfect.

For what it’s worth, the cold in WI can suck, but just like the heat in FL, you dress for it.

RM

Old 01-29-2018, 10:02 PM

160 posts, read 155,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomer556 View Post
California is soooooo much more expensive than Indiana. Everything from gas prices, to electricity, insurance, taxes, housing etc.
there isn't anything to debate about that. The difference is so stark you can't suggest otherwise in a rational way.
The quality of life in Indiana is much better and my happiness level has gone up big time since moving here from California 2 years ago. No regrets.

I am not trying to challenge anyone on the forum, but outside of housing, I am not sure how people save so much money from California to Indiana.
Car insurance--I pay $200 less per year to insure a '16 and '17 Lexus in California.
Health insurance--the insurance market is much larger in California, so overall plans on the state exchanges and the portion people pay for employment based insurance is lower than the national average in California. I haven't paid this little for health insurance in Indiana since the late 90s. And the coverage is excellent in California.
My $700K house in San Diego is less to insure than my $350K house in Carmel.
Gas prices, Electricity, water.....gas is pricey, electricity is more per kilowatt hour, water, probably more.
Taxes: the property tax rates are both 1%, but Indiana can have special assessments, and if it's not your primary home, or a rental, you will pay 2% of the assessed value. In California, it's at 1 to 1.25, and California has caps on how much it can raise your property taxes per year.
State taxes: no question the state of Indiana has a lower tax rate overall, but Indiana has locality taxes that on average, are 7% of your income....starting from $0. You wont even start to pay a 7% tax rate in California until your income goes above $105,000.

Some of this is subjective....car insurance, health insurance, homeowners insurance can range based on where you work, where you live, the car you drive, ect. State taxes can be more than Indiana, but for those with incomes below $100K, I would challenge anyone to compare a W2 from Indiana to California, add it up and see who paid more.

As for housing, I think we can all agree California housing is pricey and a major issue of affecting affordability.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:02 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndindy View Post
I am not trying to challenge anyone on the forum, but outside of housing, I am not sure how people save so much money from California to Indiana.
As a potential transplant from California, I've been trying to get a handle on this myself.

Quote:
Car insurance--I pay $200 less per year to insure a '16 and '17 Lexus in California.
This is easy enough to verify on one's own. Call your insurance carrier and get a quote.

Quote:
Health insurance--the insurance market is much larger in California, so overall plans on the state exchanges and the portion people pay for employment based insurance is lower than the national average in California. I haven't paid this little for health insurance in Indiana since the late 90s. And the coverage is excellent in California.
I'm wondering about this and would be grateful to hear other people's experiences. We've never had anything but group insurance through employers, but if we relocate to the Indy area, we may be on our own (as a family of 4) for a while and would love to get a realistic idea what, for instance, a mid-level PPO plan would run us on a monthly basis.

Quote:
Which house is bigger with higher-end materials? Since rebuild cost is probably the biggest factor in determining homeowner's insurance premiums, the Carmel house would be more expensive to insure if it's bigger/nicer, and especially if it's in a flood plain (which I doubt you have in San Diego). I've gotten quotes based on potential addresses, and that bigger/nicer thing seems to be the difference between SoCal and Indy.

Quote:
...Indiana has locality taxes that on average, are 7% of your income....starting from $0.
7%? Really??? That sounds high, so I'm thinking that's a mistake. Did you mean .7%, maybe? I'd be grateful for some elaboration/clarification on this point.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:03 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
I work in Carmel. Local income tax reported on my W2 was 1.8% of my wages in Box 1. However, Indiana state sales tax is 7%.

Maybe repairs are cheaper here than in California. My new driveway (one-car) cost $3,000 for tearout and replacement with concrete. The new roof was $7,000 for a 1200 sf house.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:26 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I work in Carmel. Local income tax reported on my W2 was 1.8% of my wages in Box 1. However, Indiana state sales tax is 7%.

Maybe repairs are cheaper here than in California. My new driveway (one-car) cost $3,000 for tearout and replacement with concrete. The new roof was $7,000 for a 1200 sf house.
how low are your state taxes?

Old 01-30-2018, 07:38 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
State tax is 3.23% of AGI for everyone. My property tax (in Marion County) was less than 1% of my home's value.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:29 AM

16 posts, read 17,150 times
Quote:
Gas prices, Electricity, water.....gas is pricey, electricity is more per kilowatt hour, water, probably more.
Taxes: the property tax rates are both 1%, but Indiana can have special assessments, and if it's not your primary home, or a rental, you will pay 2% of the assessed value. In California, it's at 1 to 1.25, and California has caps on how much it can raise your property taxes per year.
State taxes: no question the state of Indiana has a lower tax rate overall, but Indiana has locality taxes that on average, are 7% of your income....starting from $0. You wont even start to pay a 7% tax rate in California until your income goes above $105,000.

Some of this is subjective....car insurance, health insurance, homeowners insurance can range based on where you work, where you live, the car you drive, ect. State taxes can be more than Indiana, but for those with incomes below $100K, I would challenge anyone to compare a W2 from Indiana to California, add it up and see who paid more.

As for housing, I think we can all agree California housing is pricey and a major issue of affecting affordability.
highly doubt that. Especially after these epic wildfires California has been having.
Health insurance is highly variable so trying to claim your situation will be representative of everyone else is silly at best. My health insurance rates dropped 25% since moving to Indiana. My Car insurance dropped 50% and like most people I don't drive a Lexus so your example is a bad comparison. Income tax in Indiana is significantly lower than California. My income tax for the last year was 4% VS the 10% rate I was paying in California and mind you $105,000 in California is not that wealthy. Sales tax in Indiana is 7% VS 10%+ in most of California. My utilities are less, gasoline is $2.39 here VS $3+ in California, no toll roads, excise taxes are less, no bag taxes and no red light camera's. So Please don't discourage people from moving to Indiana with exaggerations and false statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis