Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 07:20 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times

Advertisements

I agree. Indianapolis will have 900,000 people by 2023. The skyline is definitely on the small side. Ive looked and havnt found anything substantial in the planning stages. Columbus is about the same population, and Indy has a taller building than Columbus, but Columbus still has the better skyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 01:56 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I agree. Indianapolis will have 900,000 people by 2023. The skyline is definitely on the small side. Ive looked and havnt found anything substantial in the planning stages. Columbus is about the same population, and Indy has a taller building than Columbus, but Columbus still has the better skyline.
Yeah, it is on the sparse with density side. Leaves a lot to be desired, unfortunately. Especially for its city and metro size.

I did a high rise building count and Indianapolis currently has 12 buildings over 300 feet downtown. Not too bad, but it definitely does not fall within a city category that has a sizable density downtown, or a good amount of high rises downtown.

I see they have several proposed or approved for construction, but just one over 300 feet that I can see.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:31 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, it is on the sparse with density side. Leaves a lot to be desired, unfortunately. Especially for its city and metro size.

I did a high rise building count and Indianapolis currently has 12 buildings over 300 feet downtown. Not too bad, but it definitely does not fall within a city category that has a sizable density downtown, or a good amount of high rises downtown.

I see they have several proposed or approved for construction, but just one over 300 feet that I can see.
That's insane. I work in a suburb of Bellevue, WA that has 31 buildings over 230 feet per wikipedia. Mind you, that's a suburb with population less than 150,000.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:00 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
That's insane. I work in a suburb of Bellevue, WA that has 31 buildings over 230 feet per wikipedia. Mind you, that's a suburb with population less than 150,000.
That's a dense suburb--nice, wow.

I counted those buildings over 250 feet in Indianapolis, and there is a sizable amount, with 15 buildings between 250 and 300 feet high. So there is a good amount within that range.

The thing it lacks is height and density in the 300 - 500 foot range or higher, which makes for a really solid skyline (think Denver, Minneapolis, San Diego, etc).

Hopefully it will get there in the next 20 years or so though, it is growing well.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
That's a dense suburb--nice, wow.

I counted those buildings over 250 feet in Indianapolis, and there is a sizable amount, with 15 buildings between 250 and 300 feet high. So there is a good amount within that range.

The thing it lacks is height and density in the 300 - 500 foot range or higher, which makes for a really solid skyline (think Denver, Minneapolis, San Diego, etc).

Hopefully it will get there in the next 20 years or so though, it is growing well.
Yeah it’s sort of like if someone built a bunch of skyscrapers in the middle of Carmel.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:57 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,276 times
I've read (without any real proof) that no building is allowed to cast a shadow on the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, thus the only real tall buildings are on the edge of downtown or north of the circle, and that this has hampered a lot of real tall buildings downtown. One of the reasons the Circle Tower has such a strange design at the top, to limit the shadow on the monument. Again, what I read didn't actually offer proof so I've never found anything that says if this is true or not but if it is, that could help explain why there is a lack of taller buildings downtown.

The National Park Service, in an article about Monument Circle, says this:

Quote:
In 1921-22, local architect William Earl Russ and city leaders proposed, and the city implemented, local legislation that limited heights to 10 stories and called for elevation setbacks to preserve the prominence of the monument.

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/indian...rclesessay.htm

Obviously this law doesn't exist anymore but there's no mention of not casting a shadow.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:41 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
150K people on a strip of land approximately 33.46 sq. mi. that has growth confined between two lakes and likely couldn't expand due to other municipal limits in the area. Indianapolis is over ten times the amount of land but only 5.4x the amount of people. Not only that, the Indianapolis area isn't confined by many natural or artificial barriers for the most part, so I'm not sure what the comparison is here. Go back in time, fill in Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish and I doubt we see that same sort of upward growth. In the end, money wins. Municipal limits don't stop growth from spreading, but they do change the dynamics of growth in many areas of a metro area.

The early law that limited growth likely played a part in why Indy's downtown isn't as large as it could be. Given the limited growth, possible desire to live a ways out of downtown, etc., the growth spread outward and just continued like that for decades. Then once there was enough established growth on the north side of town, you saw a handful of three to seven story (maybe taller?) office complexes being built.

Quote:
I doubt we will see anymore sky-scrapper buildings like One America or Salesforce towers. It wasn't that long ago I heard the downtown retail vacancy rate wasn't all that great. With the decent economic growth over the last ten years, maybe that has gotten better. Even then, I just don't see any need for any super tall builds. There is still enough land for shorter, but decent sized residential buildings in the area.

I could see a lot of ten or so story buildings, mostly residential if the trend for younger folks is to live in dense urban areas, at least for the first part of their life. The main issue is ridiculous rental rates that people will pay, then moan to their local government leaders to "do something!"

Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Quote:
You cannot compare Seattle with Indianapolis. Seattle has geographic limitations such as the Puget Sound and a hilly topography, Indy is a huge flat area that doesn't really need the density that Bellevue has.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
150K people on a strip of land approximately 33.46 sq. mi. that has growth confined between two lakes and likely couldn't expand due to other municipal limits in the area. Indianapolis is over ten times the amount of land but only 5.4x the amount of people. Not only that, the Indianapolis area isn't confined by many natural or artificial barriers for the most part, so I'm not sure what the comparison is here. Go back in time, fill in Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish and I doubt we see that same sort of upward growth. In the end, money wins. Municipal limits don't stop growth from spreading, but they do change the dynamics of growth in many areas of a metro area.

The early law that limited growth likely played a part in why Indy's downtown isn't as large as it could be. Given the limited growth, possible desire to live a ways out of downtown, etc., the growth spread outward and just continued like that for decades. Then once there was enough established growth on the north side of town, you saw a handful of three to seven story (maybe taller?) office complexes being built.

Yes, those are pretty good reasons why.

What I bolded is pretty significant, IMO. Whereas people with money in Indy often prefer to live in a 5,500 sq. foot mansion in Carmel, people w/ money in Bellevue often prefer to live in an 700 sq. foot unit inside a vertical glassbox with a view of Seattle skyline, Lake Washington and mountains.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
You cannot compare Seattle with Indianapolis. Seattle has geographic limitations such as the Puget Sound and a hilly topography, Indy is a huge flat area that doesn't really need the density that Bellevue has.
Yes, it's probably not a very good apples-to-apples comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis