Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 06:50 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I just returned from a couple weeks in Europe. Everywhere I went when I told people I was from Indiana they asked me about the Cubs. I would point out that Cubs were from Chicago, and people would say, "But that is close to Indianapolis?" or "People in Indianapolis are Cubs fans, right?"

Last year when I was in Europe people mostly brought up the Colts and asked about Peyton Manning even though they knew he was no longer our quarterback.
Why in the world would Europeans ever associate Indianapolis with the Cubs? In Europe, I would think Indianapolis would be more famous for the Indy 500 than Cubs baseball. Indianapolis is more well known for basketball, football and amateur sports than it is baseball. Indianapolis is known more of a Reds town, anyway and I hope you let those Europeans know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 06:14 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Why in the world would Europeans ever associate Indianapolis with the Cubs? In Europe, I would think Indianapolis would be more famous for the Indy 500 than Cubs baseball. Indianapolis is more well known for basketball, football and amateur sports than it is baseball. Indianapolis is known more of a Reds town, anyway and I hope you let those Europeans know that.

Everyone is talking about the Cubs right now, the World Series is very prominent in the European news. They know that Indy is close to Chicago so they assume we are Cubs fans.

Even here in Indy I see lots of Cubs shirts and jackets. I usually walk around downtown Indy on my lunch break and there are many Cubs fans out walking.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:27 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Indianapolis is known more of a Reds town, anyway and I hope you let those Europeans know that.
Indianapolis has a lot of Reds fans, but is by no means a Reds town.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Condo towers are nice but they don't substitute highrise historical architecture that you will find in many northern cities.
The Barns and Thornburg building, Circle Tower, the highrises along Washington Street, The Marott Apartments on Meridian Street and a more famous example the Chicago Board of Trade building.
New buildings have their place but the Sunbelt cities have mostly wiped out their historical buildings in favor of new gleaming and sexy high-rises. Charlotte destroyed a lot of its character and history by doing that.
Not all of those high rise buildings in Austin are condo towers. Some of them are 5 star hotels. And there's plenty of space between those high rise buildings for more high rise buildings, so its safe to say they're not finished building downtown Austin yet. Some of the best bars and music clubs are gone but on the other hand theres still alot of good musical clubs and venues from the past are still around, and there alot of new good musical venues that haven't been here all that long.

There is still plenty of interesting history to be found all over Austin. Texas has a long and rich history.

Cities change. Indianapolis isn't the same city today that it was in the early 70's. I read things in the Indy Forum and I have know idea what they are talking about. But I also read a lot of things in the Indy forum that I can relate to. But some familiar things are still in Indianapolis that always make me think of Indianapolis. Like White Castle Hamburgers and Monument Circle and the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Too bad Laughner Cafeteria closed. I think we were up there in 2005 when we found out they had closed. We were so disappointed. We had our mouths all set for Laughner's. We use to always stop at the one on East Washington Street. I thought they was the best Cafeteria in the Midwest. Their food was every bit as as good as Luby's and Picadilly in Texas.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 10-28-2016 at 07:47 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Indianapolis has a lot of Reds fans, but is by no means a Reds town.
I don't know about that. I don't remember too many Cub fans in Central Indiana. Seems there were as many St Louis Cardinal fans as there were Cubs fans. But ther was probably still more Reds fans than Cub fans and Cardinal fans combined. There was always people going to Cincinnati for a Reds game in the summertime. I don't remember anybody driving to Chicago for a Cubs game. Indianapolis is alot more connected with Cincinnati than it is Chicago in just about every kind of way.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:08 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Lots of Cubs fans in Central Indiana

I grew up 1 hour southeast of Indy and local groups would charter buses for the day to go to Chicago to watch a game and take in the sights. Obviously, it becomes more Cubs (and Sox to a lesser degree) as you get closer to Chicago. It was very common for Purdue students to go to Wrigley but Purdue is only a little over 2 hours from Chicago.

You have get very close to Illinois before you see many Cardnals fans.

Growing up an hour from Cincy it was more Reds than Cubs but there has always been a lot of love for the perenial underdog Cubs.

Pete Rose and Marge Schott were a big deal but so was Ryne Sandberg.

I also disagree that Indy is more connected to Cincy than Chicago. Indy is 3 hrs from Chicago and 2 hours from Cincy but Indy is very dependent on Chicago, especially for logistics. Cincy is way more similar to Indy however than Chicago.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:29 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
At my office in downtown Indy it is all Cubs fans. I am the only Reds fan but I grew up in Ohio. The rest of my family here in Indy area are all Cubs fans.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:55 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
It was really a sight down in Metamora during Canal Days. Went on that Sunday and there were numerous people wearing Bengals clothing.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:03 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
At my office in downtown Indy it is all Cubs fans. I am the only Reds fan but I grew up in Ohio. The rest of my family here in Indy area are all Cubs fans.
I don't follow baseball at all, but judging by my FB feed, there are a lot of Cubs fans around here.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:28 AM

I'd say most of the Cubs fans around Indy are fair-weather fans because the Cubs are in the World Series this year. Most normal years when the Cubs are near the bottom of their division, die-hard Cub fans around Indy are about as rare as hens teeth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis