Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2006, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 12,593 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am a recent graduate relocating to Indianapolis from Virginia. My job is in downtown and I would like a place within 20 minutes of walking distance/ 15 minutes driving distance. My top priority is safety and security. Charlottesville, Virginia is a safe, quiet college-town and I would definitely like a place similar in nature.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 01:52 AM

2 posts, read 12,593 times
Default Could anyone give me some info 'bout safe neighbourhoods?

I'll appreciate it if anybody could give me some idea 'bout some safe regions in Indianapolis....
Quote:
Originally Posted by iat7b View Post
Hi!

I am a recent graduate relocating to Indianapolis from Virginia. My job is in downtown and I would like a place within 20 minutes of walking distance/ 15 minutes driving distance. My top priority is safety and security. Charlottesville, Virginia is a safe, quiet college-town and I would definitely like a place similar in nature.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-12-2006, 06:48 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I had a friend who lived in Riley Towers after graduating from law school and was clerking downtown. She lived there for about 3 years and walked to and from work everyday. I'm not sure how the Towers are now, but you can google Riley Towers and get information. Keep in mind, Indianapolis has a transit system that is bus only ... but not very well regarded.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:59 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
I actually live in downtown Indy. It is getting very pricey to live downtown. Lots of new conods.

Riley Towers is an excellent idea depending on their current rents. Lots of apts and a bus that somehow takes their residents around. Easy walk downtown and they maintain the outside very well. Dont know the specifics. There is a condo for sale in a little historic building for $100,000 about a block from where I work and a block from Riley.

I find it easy and safe to walk to work and home. The streets are well lit and there is moderate activity and cars driving by. Even walking by the homeless shelter is not an issue since it is on a well lit and very public street.

There may be a few independent rentals around (lots of carriage houses built on the near north) but I would not want to walk home in the rain or snow that far. I am only about 5/6 blocks and when no one shovels their sidewalks, it is hard.

15 minutes drive gets you out to Broad Ripple, a wonderful vibrant area. There are some newly renovated condos for sale for about $150,000 in a gorgeous building and some houses for that and a little more. Got to watch taxes though. My boss lives in a little house there. Bakeries, shops, bars, restaurants, organic stores, etc. Perfect if you want to park the car and walk around. My husband would love to live there when we retire and sell the downtown house.

Young and single, consider Broad Ripple or Riley. All I can think of at the moment. Indianapolis Monthly magazine is nice but might give you a skewed view of Indy as a rich place. Indystar.com is the local paper.

Nuvo is the weekly alternative scene newspaper. There list of activities is extensive.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:27 PM

8 posts, read 85,591 times
Broad Ripple or nothing at all. Be careful. Indy has had a few really bad years of crime. Most people that I know have been victims of crime.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:34 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Just live downtonw somewhere. Living in downtown Indy isnt like living in a real big city downtown. Its easy to park and lots of room etc... You dont need to walk downtown either. Theres garages everywhere. The castleton area is really nice too.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I had a friend who lived in Riley Towers after graduating from law school and was clerking downtown. She lived there for about 3 years and walked to and from work everyday. I'm not sure how the Towers are now, but you can google Riley Towers and get information. Keep in mind, Indianapolis has a transit system that is bus only ... but not very well regarded.
I didn't think Riley Towers was a very nice place to live back in the early 90's and I doubt that it's gotten better since that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis