Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 01:23 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Not really a refute there. Having an Indy address does not mean said perp is from Indy, they moved there. Secondly, its about the culture said people bring with them. There is def a Chicago/Gary influnce in Indy now among the poorer communities. Can anyone say with fact, no but those familiar with both areas and how Indy used to be tend to lean that way. It's a different beast up there and Indy young are trying to mimic it and starting to do a good job of it sadly.

Just from my own personal experience living in Indy when people found out I came from Gary and the reactions. The whole mantra of thinking every person in Gary is just stone cold and how Indy hoods had to be like that in order not to be considered soft. Granted, just my personal experience but outside influences does have merit and not just in Indy. Eventually, it will hit the burbs just like other cities.
I think you were missing my point, which was just about making strong statements with absolutely nothing to back them up. You at least referenced relevant personal experience, so now I'll actually attempt to refute this argument.

If your experiences with Indy's hoods not wanting to be soft because of gangs in Gary/Chicago is true, then why wouldn't that be the case in every city's hoods around the country? Why would San Diego's hoods want to feel soft in comparison to LA's or SF's? Shouldn't Grand Rapids' hoods be flourishing with gang violence considering Detroit is the major city in Michigan? Maybe that is happening in all those cities too, but I've seen no evidence that it's happening here or anywhere. If it is happening here, then I have to assume this is an American problem and not an Indianapolis one. If it's not a nationwide problem, then what's wrong with the residents of Indianapolis that makes them so envious of more violent hoods?

Until I see actual data showing significant population migration of low income people from Gary/Chicago to Indianapolis with a correlated increase in Indianapolis' violent crime rates, I'm just not buying into the claim. I'm pretty convinced residents moving here from Gary and Chicago has very little direct influence on crime here. Indianapolis should take credit for all of the crime issues here instead of blaming it on cities that are over 2.5hrs away.

The only instance where I can imagine other cities having a real influence on our crime is through drug trafficking. It wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if Indianapolis is as big of a logistical hub for the black market as it is for legally distributed goods. This would obviously account for some of the crime issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 04:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I think you were missing my point, which was just about making strong statements with absolutely nothing to back them up. You at least referenced relevant personal experience, so now I'll actually attempt to refute this argument.

If your experiences with Indy's hoods not wanting to be soft because of gangs in Gary/Chicago is true, then why wouldn't that be the case in every city's hoods around the country? Why would San Diego's hoods want to feel soft in comparison to LA's or SF's? Shouldn't Grand Rapids' hoods be flourishing with gang violence considering Detroit is the major city in Michigan? Maybe that is happening in all those cities too, but I've seen no evidence that it's happening here or anywhere. If it is happening here, then I have to assume this is an American problem and not an Indianapolis one. If it's not a nationwide problem, then what's wrong with the residents of Indianapolis that makes them so envious of more violent hoods?

Until I see actual data showing significant population migration of low income people from Gary/Chicago to Indianapolis with a correlated increase in Indianapolis' violent crime rates, I'm just not buying into the claim. I'm pretty convinced residents moving here from Gary and Chicago has very little direct influence on crime here. Indianapolis should take credit for all of the crime issues here instead of blaming it on cities that are over 2.5hrs away.

The only instance where I can imagine other cities having a real influence on our crime is through drug trafficking. It wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if Indianapolis is as big of a logistical hub for the black market as it is for legally distributed goods. This would obviously account for some of the crime issues.
You think these cities aren't? Look at what l.a. gangs did to shreveport, LA in the 90's. Ms-13 has infiltrated every major us city. Bloods and crips in cincy, Louisville, etc. GD's in suburban Nashville. They've even infiltrated every branch of the military as the fbi had to admit to in 2011ish but known gang affiliation goes back to 2006.

Care to explain how bloods a LA gang made its way to Indy or vice lords, a Chicago gang made its way to indy? Or latin kings, a Chicago gang made it to NYC? Members travelled and set up chapters so yes, Indy has been infiltrated. These aren't home grown with stupid homegrown names. They are well known gangs nationwide known for not being upstanding citizens and kill at will. IceCube did a song when he first went solo called summer vacation. Kind of sums it up what has happened to indy. For the worst.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:44 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times
Quote:
You think these cities aren't? Look at what l.a. gangs did to shreveport, LA in the 90's. Ms-13 has infiltrated every major us city. Bloods and crips in cincy, Louisville, etc. GD's in suburban Nashville. They've even infiltrated every branch of the military as the fbi had to admit to in 2011ish but known gang affiliation goes back to 2006.

Care to explain how bloods a LA gang made its way to Indy or vice lords, a Chicago gang made its way to indy? Or latin kings, a Chicago gang made it to NYC? Members travelled and set up chapters so yes, Indy has been infiltrated. These aren't home grown with stupid homegrown names. They are well known gangs nationwide known for not being upstanding citizens and kill at will. IceCube did a song when he first went solo called summer vacation. Kind of sums it up what has happened to indy. For the worst.
Okay, fine. My point still remains that I don't understand how any of this has a more significant impact on Indianapolis than it does on the rest of the country. Can you point to any gains that Chicago gangs have made here vs other cities in the country, or more specifically the Great Lakes region? When your examples are gangs going from LA to Shreveport, Cincy, Louisville, and Indy, it makes it seem as though proximity has absolutely nothing to do with it. So, how is any American city less affected than Indy is by Chicago/La/(insert city here) gangs?

Old 12-06-2015, 10:19 PM

140 posts, read 168,039 times
Quote:
Not really a refute there. Having an Indy address does not mean said perp is from Indy, they moved there. Secondly, its about the culture said people bring with them. There is def a Chicago/Gary influnce in Indy now among the poorer communities. Can anyone say with fact, no but those familiar with both areas and how Indy used to be tend to lean that way. It's a different beast up there and Indy young are trying to mimic it and starting to do a good job of it sadly.

Just from my own personal experience living in Indy when people found out I came from Gary and the reactions. The whole mantra of thinking every person in Gary is just stone cold and how Indy hoods had to be like that in order not to be considered soft. Granted, just my personal experience but outside influences does have merit and not just in Indy. Eventually, it will hit the burbs just like other cities.
From my personal experience I can say that there are a lot of riff raffs coming here from south of Chicago... How do I know? Cause they say it all the time.... "Man I am from Chicago" in the beginning of every single sentence... They are proud of being from a big city and they bring it up all the time. I work at a high end clothing store and I have seen some of their transitions from "being nickle and dime to a top hat balling big rigga" (b-legit song) in just a few weeks.. Lol . Lousy Lawrence police & cheap cost of living, and not having to deal with serious territorial gang violence, this is a great market for them, not to mention a lot of them have relatives here already, an uncle or few cousins here and there, it is really not hard for them to move here... They move and stay with a relative in the beginning then they start getting money and bam... That's how the cycle works...

Old 12-07-2015, 11:02 AM

23 posts, read 26,340 times
All I can go by is what I've heard from the 10 o clock news. I have absolutely no reason to make this up. Also black people don't do Heroin and Indy wasn't this bad a few years ago. I know what I'm talking about so please just..

Old 12-07-2015, 11:31 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataEastJ View Post
All I can go by is what I've heard from the 10 o clock news.
Well that's your problem right there.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:54 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Well you're wrong because I haven't noticed victims of crime being from Chicago on Indianapolis news stations. See how easy it is to refute an argument when you have absolutely no sources to back it up?
It's not enough to commit murders in Indy, a 32 year old man from Indy stabbed a six year old boy to death during a robbery. The little boy was asleep in bed when he was stabbed repeatedly with a kitchen knife.

Indy man arrested in boy’s stabbing death in Ky. | WISH-TV

Old 12-07-2015, 01:39 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
It's not enough to commit murders in Indy, a 32 year old man from Indy stabbed a six year old boy to death during a robbery. The little boy was asleep in bed when he was stabbed repeatedly with a kitchen knife.

Only you would exploit this poor kid to further your crusade. This has nothing, NOTHING, to do with crime in Indianapolis. Yet, here you are.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

That happened in an extremely safe small town just outside Lexington. If I was going to choose anywhere to live just based on safety I'd pick Versailles. Sounds like the perp had recently moved to the area from Indy. Shows crap can happen anywhere

Old 12-07-2015, 05:53 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
What was his motive? Being from Indy is not enough motive for that kind of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis