Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 08:22 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
A couple of triple or quad murders will send the rate right back up. One thing that I noticed about the recent highest year and this year is doubles. Usually you will have one mass homicide incident occur, but lots of doubles. We had lots of doubles early this year, with a quadruple and triple homicide within weeks of each other. Hard to tell what is really going on, and at any given time more bodies could be found hidden or whatnot. A better statistic is how many people are shot and survive, in addition to the number of missing people as well. Some of those missing could be homicide victims where the body is found later, if ever.

Hopefully the trend stays slow from here on out. If cold weather really plays a factor in homicides, then with cooler temps coming this week, maybe we will have a cooler than normal fall which could keep people indoors and out of trouble?
Trend is slower but a couple of disturbing cases in the past week. A 15 year old Ben Davis student's burned body found and police say it was likely a random abduction and murder. And a 6 week old infant missing, dad's story is full of inconsistencies, divers searching White River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:39 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,046 times
Sad to hear this about Indianapolis, we screwed this country up a long time ago......now we are reaping what we have sown, imo.....the entire country has a meth epidemic, gang problems, maniacs that feel left out and feel the need to shoot up innocent kids at schools...what a mess this country is.......imo....all the property crimes, auto thefts, violent acts...etc....prisons over loaded to the brim...etc...

Old 09-06-2014, 01:34 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Trend is slower but a couple of disturbing cases in the past week. A 15 year old Ben Davis student's burned body found and police say it was likely a random abduction and murder. And a 6 week old infant missing, dad's story is full of inconsistencies, divers searching White River.
Yeah, those are disturbing cases. I do have to say, the Dad's story is so convoluted that it comes of as completely ridiculous and implausible.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:40 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Yeah, those are disturbing cases. I do have to say, the Dad's story is so convoluted that it comes of as completely ridiculous and implausible.
The fact that IFD had divers in White River less than 24 hours after the "abduction"led me to believe the police didn't buy into his story. And the father has another child, a daughter, who is recovering from severe brain damage from abuse.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,937 times
We now have multiple generations of families who don't seem to have any concept of how to live what most people would call a good and decent lifestyle. It doesn't matter that many factors play into this, we have what we have and I don't see it getting any better. Here is an excellent article with photos of what police in many major cities deal with at crime scenes now. I've heard plenty of Indy officers say the same thing happens in our city, and others. In the article Chicago police are investigating a shooting with multiple deceased victims. Read how the crowd treats the police, whom from what I gather, didn't shoot and kill the deceased. This behavior is so bad, I just don't see how anyone or any group can change it.

Scene of the crime: Three shot in Lawndale | Chicago Tribune

And within the last four days there have been four more homicides in Indy.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:04 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,309 times
And don't forgot not everyone arrested ends up serving time. For instance the guy arrested and charged with murder for a shooting last year on the Fourth of July downtown was released with all charges dropped because all the witnesses were uncooperative. That's what happens, especially when it is alleged gang crimes like this one. And so these violent criminals continue to roam the streets.

Murder charges dropped in deadly July 4 shooting | WISH-TV

Old 09-09-2014, 03:10 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
And don't forgot not everyone arrested ends up serving time. For instance the guy arrested and charged with murder for a shooting last year on the Fourth of July downtown was released with all charges dropped because all the witnesses were uncooperative. That's what happens, especially when it is alleged gang crimes like this one. And so these violent criminals continue to roam the streets.
That is only part of the incarceration issue. The other is that we don't keep people locked up long enough and we don't have enough space at that. However, talk of expanding jails and prisons gets the whole "We already incarcerate too many people!" issue fired up. Here is the issue as I see it. We don't let people starve in this country, we don't let them die due to lack of medical care, we house what we can so long as people follow the rules, and we provide free education to off-spring. It seems to me that greed is an issue, and greed is what pushes the lower income types into drug dealing, stealing, etc.. If we can't change that mentality, then all the money we throw into social programs will just be a waste and we will still need a physical cage to house these people so they don't harm others.

I know that when it comes to housing, single mothers likely get priority, and this leaves all the dads, who may or may not be in their kids lives anyway, trying to get scraps. If this is true, maybe we could look at basic small one bedroom or studio apartments for these folks provided that: They put up $100 towards rent, pay the utilities, and stay out of trouble. Thing is, it won't work. It should work, people should be content with a very cheap, clean, basic shelter, food and water provided by food stamps if needed, and heat to survive the winter, but they won't be. So I picture such a living arraignment turning into another crime ridden government housing unit, as people can't just be content with the basics, so they will steal, turn to drugs because they are sad, turn to dealing as a way to make money, etc..

Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 AM

4 posts, read 8,552 times
I really like reading all the answers above. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:41 AM

368 posts, read 638,592 times
indy is like west side story only scarier..imagine michael jacksons beat it video..with tough talking boys menacing people in the city.Only the street smart people can survive the grit of indianapolis.What indianapolis needs is a strong willed sherrif to brong law and order

Old 11-17-2015, 09:45 AM

31 posts, read 38,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Indy's reputation for crime is nationwide.... the company owner said, "I worry about you girls going home to Indy." He said all he heard about Indy lately was violence and crime. We assured him that we all lived in the suburbs, not Indianapolis, and he was relieved.
LOL!...all he HEARD about Indy was violence and crime? Isn't that the definition of....HEARSAY?

Here's a quote straight from the horse's a....I mean, mouth:
"All truths begin as hearsay, as far as I'm concerned"- Matt Drudge

Last edited by Dakshina; 11-17-2015 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis