Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:28 AM

60 posts, read 68,700 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Indianapolis, then left for college over ten years ago. I still go back to visit once or twice a year, but never for more than about a week at a time. I figured the city was growing (new airport terminal, arena, etc.), but then I read that population isn't growing that much and that the mayor is doing a poor job. I was just wondering what locals think of the city now?

Old 11-04-2007, 02:48 PM

100 posts, read 237,231 times
The Colts.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,753,878 times
Pats as of yesterday

Old 11-05-2007, 02:47 PM

131 posts, read 533,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Pats as of yesterday

Damn the Pats...

Old 12-11-2007, 12:50 PM

18 posts, read 89,755 times
Im from out east from New York but I've lived here for 4 1/2 years now. I am already ready to move back out east this summer. From my opinion and others who have lived here their whole life, a lot of venues may be coming to Indianapolis but the people are getting worse. Mayor Bart Peterson did not really do that bad of job. A lot of people thought he did because of property taxes, but they were uneducated he did not have anything to do with taxes. To me Indianapolis is on the down slide because there is SO MUCH CLOSED-MINDNESS and IGNORANCE here.

For example like when people find out Im Dominican they steadily call me Mexican. I look african american but when I hear African AMericans and CauCausians calling ALL HISPANICS mexicans here it disgust me. It is a lot of other things but it just seems like everybody in Indianapolis is in there own world and way TOO conservative.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:33 PM

It disgusts me too AR ... I'm sorry your 4.5 years here didn't work out. Indiana is pretty homogenous, not very ethnic, so that may have been part of the problem. Urban areas with distinct ethnic areas aren't so ignorant maybe? I don't know, just a thought. I hope your return to the east coast bodes well for you.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:35 PM

18 posts, read 89,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It disgusts me too AR ... I'm sorry your 4.5 years here didn't work out. Indiana is pretty homogenous, not very ethnic, so that may have been part of the problem. Urban areas with distinct ethnic areas aren't so ignorant maybe? I don't know, just a thought. I hope your return to the east coast bodes well for you.

Don't get me wrong I have met some of the best people here. I mean its just not ethnically (if thats a word) diverse. Just now more hispanics are moving here, more african americans are being diversied and stepping outside there comfort zone, and more Caucasian are being understanding w/o having the attitude of this is America and everyone needs to revolve and change for me.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:38 AM

172 posts, read 512,264 times
Well AR, this is AMERICA. It's not the DR. You know the old saying, "When in Rome..." Well, you're in America now. Sure, Indy is not NYC, nor is it Tampa, nor is it Dallas, nor is it LA. This is the HeartLand of America - Middle America - Many people come here just because of that. Sounds like it's not for you.

But, in America, you have a lot of the freedoms you would not have anywhere else, even the freedom to complain about it and the freedom to live wherever you want.

All most of us ask, is to respect it and not do it any harm.
Good luck on your move back East.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:42 PM

260 posts, read 1,346,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R. Moreland View Post
Im from out east from New York but I've lived here for 4 1/2 years now. I am already ready to move back out east this summer. From my opinion and others who have lived here their whole life, a lot of venues may be coming to Indianapolis but the people are getting worse. Mayor Bart Peterson did not really do that bad of job. A lot of people thought he did because of property taxes, but they were uneducated he did not have anything to do with taxes. To me Indianapolis is on the down slide because there is SO MUCH CLOSED-MINDNESS and IGNORANCE here.

For example like when people find out Im Dominican they steadily call me Mexican. I look african american but when I hear African AMericans and CauCausians calling ALL HISPANICS mexicans here it disgust me. It is a lot of other things but it just seems like everybody in Indianapolis is in there own world and way TOO conservative.
Ignorance maybe. Many people who live here have lived here their whole lives, and don't know much beyond mid western life, but is that really a fault? I think expecting them to naturally accept and understand different cultures, and being upset when they don't is more of a fault. I don't think most of those people would be able to find your country on a map, much less understand that all people who speak spanish are not mexican...it is not part of their way of life...it is not information that they need to survive.

I think most americans get aggrevated with the foriegners who think that WE should change to accomodate them, and that is the key....not accept them, but accomodate them. I fully support everyones right to come here in the pursuit of freedom and a better life, but if you are looking for the same way of life you had back home, then why come here in the first place?

I think Indianapolis is very accepting of people from other cultures, and most embrace the opportunities for this city to become more culturaly diverse, but that does not mean that they are going to learn your language, educate themselves on the history of where your from, or practice your cultural beliefs. Don't become catholic or christian if your not willing to live your life the way the catholic or christian church says you should...Don't become a Mason or Elk if you dont believe in what they stand for...and don't come to America unless you are willing to BE AN AMERICAN. Wasn't it Roosevelt that gave a speech about how one can not claim to be an american and something else to? Your allegiance has to be for one country and one country only? That's not to say that you can't embrace your heritage, but you have to remember that people in this country / city have their roots to.

One last note, I have many friends from all over the world here and none of my "cuacasian" friends act or talk the way you describe. So to assume that the ignorance that you describe from the people you are in contact with is representative of the city as a whole is unfounded. It is sad to say, but there will always be those whose ignorance will prevent them from seeing you for who you are. But you have to be an ambassador for your people...be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Act like an american and a human being and show them that depsite the color of your skin or your accent that you are just like them and not a foreigner who expects special treatment. Even some of the most redneck of rednecks that I know are accepting of anybody that does not use their ethnicity as a crutch.

I'm not saying that you are the problem and not them, hope it doesnt come off like that, but I'm saying it is a 2 way street. You also need to have an understanding about the people you are dealing with, and you can do your part to educate them about who you are and where youre from and why you're here. If you show your frustration and anger at their ignorance about you, they will likely remain ignorant and continue to percieve you as "not one of them". Good luck where ever you decide to live.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGibby View Post
I think most americans get aggrevated with the foriegners who think that WE should change to accomodate them, and that is the key....not accept them, but accomodate them. I fully support everyones right to come here in the pursuit of freedom and a better life, but if you are looking for the same way of life you had back home, then why come here in the first place?
You've pretty much nailed it Gib. When my mother immigrated here, she learned the language and assimilated, as did most of the European immigrants to America. I find it sad when I see business section articles talking about how important it is for businesses to learn Spanish/Chinese to accomodate workers. Why not spend the money on ESL classes for their new employees from other countries. If I emigrated to China, Sweden, Mexico ... businesses sure aren't going to accomodate my language shortcomings, I have to adapt to theirs.

Just a rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis