Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:59 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,608,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphotism View Post
The discussion is with regards to Indianapolis. So my assertion regarding "it" not being that walkable refers to Indianapolis as a whole. Not just downtown. Downtown Indy really isnt bad to walk if you are staying in a hotel which is downtown and only planning on going to Circle Centre, Convention Center, Eiteljorg, etc..

Try leaving from downtown on foot and getting to your office in Park 100 using IndyGo or some other public transit and check back in with me if you ever make it in less than 1.50 hours.

The entire city limits is very accessible if you have a car. Without traffic jams I can't think of many places within city limits that can't be reached in 20 minutes by car.
I thought we were discussing Downtown, which is very walkable and livable without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 06:33 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Quote:
Fair enough! We all have our own opinions about a city as being walkable. My opinion of a city being easily walkable is based off doing it myself and living in other cities which were either much more, equally, or much less amiable towards the pedestrian public. I will defer to the national study which rates Indy as being low on the walkability scale and leave it at that.
I don't think you would get a lot of argument that Indianapolis, as a whole, is not a walker's paradise. But no one is making the claim that it is. You're changing the conversation, then arguing against the tone you changed it too.

Parts of Indianapolis are walkable, as in not the whole, that is the only claim anyone has made and you can check a walkability scale if you have doubts.

NE Downtown 700 N New Jersey St Indianapolis
Fountain Square 1225 Woodlawn Ave Indianapolis
Broad Ripple 6225 North Winthrop
Irvington 45 N Ritter
Herron Morton 1612 N Pennsylvania St Indianapolis

It would be fair to ask why more of Indianapolis does not fall into this category, but that wasn't the topic at hand.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 PM

31 posts, read 67,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Walkscore.com agrees with your assertions.

Indianapolis' walkscore - 37, pretty poor. But both Nashville and OKC score a 36, one point worse than Indy. Jacksonville - 33, really bad. Kansas City, MO - 38.

You guys are both right. I am guilty of not reading the beginning of the thread and joining in after the above. If you just live in a walkable quadrant and don't mind the inconvenience of cross town travel from the pedestrian perspective, Indy can work. I tended to be on just about every part of town on an almost daily basis most of the time I lived there (as an adult) so the idea of not having a car there seems impossible (considering the lifestyle I enjoyed there)

I personally could not stand living in Indy without a car, although I did it several different times for months at a time. I just did not like it one bit. The crappiness of certain winters in Indy amplifies my dislike for being a regular pedestrian there.

Even living in one small area that is entirely walkable.. doing so in the winter during one of the more unfriendly winters would not be something I would want any older relative of mine to do.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM

918 posts, read 1,698,608 times
Quote:
You guys are both right. I am guilty of not reading the beginning of the thread and joining in after the above. If you just live in a walkable quadrant and don't mind the inconvenience of cross town travel from the pedestrian perspective, Indy can work. I tended to be on just about every part of town on an almost daily basis most of the time I lived there (as an adult) so the idea of not having a car there seems impossible (considering the lifestyle I enjoyed there)

I personally could not stand living in Indy without a car, although I did it several different times for months at a time. I just did not like it one bit. The crappiness of certain winters in Indy amplifies my dislike for being a regular pedestrian there.

Even living in one small area that is entirely walkable.. doing so in the winter during one of the more unfriendly winters would not be something I would want any older relative of mine to do.
I lived around 79th & Georgetown about 10 years ago. One time my car was in the shop and I had to pick it up the next day during the work day when noone could give me a ride. I believe it wasn't far - around 71st & Georgetown, maybe a bit south. I start walking down Georgetown to pick up my car when all of a sudden I see a taxi cab.

I flag him down, happily - guy drives past me, then turns around, comes back, stops and looks at me like I just escaped a mental asylum. "What do you want?" "What do you mean ? You're a taxi, aren't you?" <pause> "...well, yeah - but nobody flags down cabs in Indianapolis !!"

Old 03-19-2013, 01:50 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,272,562 times
Quote:
I lived around 79th & Georgetown about 10 years ago. One time my car was in the shop and I had to pick it up the next day during the work day when noone could give me a ride. I believe it wasn't far - around 71st & Georgetown, maybe a bit south. I start walking down Georgetown to pick up my car when all of a sudden I see a taxi cab.

I flag him down, happily - guy drives past me, then turns around, comes back, stops and looks at me like I just escaped a mental asylum. "What do you want?" "What do you mean ? You're a taxi, aren't you?" <pause> "...well, yeah - but nobody flags down cabs in Indianapolis !!"

Is it legal in Indy to flag down a cab? I do know some cities it is technically illegal, such as Las Vegas. Not sure about Indy.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:51 PM

918 posts, read 1,698,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Is it legal in Indy to flag down a cab? I do know some cities it is technically illegal, such as Las Vegas. Not sure about Indy.
I think in Vegas, cabs just aren't allowed to stop on the strip. They want them to stop at hotels only, as they wouldn't be holding up traffic this way.

I don't see why flagging down cabs wouldn't be allowed in any other situation

Old 03-19-2013, 07:20 PM

644 posts, read 1,020,048 times
I do, I have since 2009. So... yeah you can.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 PM

644 posts, read 1,020,048 times
Oh, btw I flag down cabs all the time. Its hard to do this outside of DT or BR though.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,983,272 times
Quote:
Walkscore.com agrees with your assertions.

Indianapolis' walkscore - 37, pretty poor. But both Nashville and OKC score a 36, one point worse than Indy. Jacksonville - 33, really bad. Kansas City, MO - 38.
The one criteria not mentioned in walkscore that separates Indy from those cities is the design quality of the Cultural Trail system which has adopted from the Netherlands (largest and most comprehensive cycling and pedestrian pathway system in the world per capita). When I was in Holland I saw that they had separated vehicle traffic from the cyclist making safer opposed to just using stripe lane as the "only" option forcing everyone to share the same space making it more dangerous. (an accident waiting to happen) Indy is fortunate to put this into the Cultural Trail. I would like to see the Cultural Trail system expand beyond downtown through out the city.

A more safe and practical design for grade separation as illustrated in this photo. The pathways are color coded similar to the pathways in the Netherlands making it easier to identify. We do have some striped lanes but the illustrated design below is the most practical making it much safer for everyone.

No more dodging cars, cyclists and pedestrians. This makes sense. Indy finally got it right while a lot of cities use striped lanes as the only option forcing everyone to share the road.

Cultural Trail: Vehicles / Bicyclists / Pedestrians (the more practical solution)

The Dutch have had success with this proven design for years and now Indy has adopted part of it. (the only city in the country)

A more pedestrian and bicycle friendly design model for American cities

Netherlands: Vehicles / Bicyclists / Pedestrians

The history behind this design which explains part of the Cultural Trail's design

Old 04-28-2013, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,765 times
Yes you can live in Indianapolis without a car, but you must be very selective about where you live. Living in Indy without a car takes careful planing around all aspects of your life. The bus in Indy is not convenient, but you can get to many places. There is no subway like DC, or NYC. Indy is car centric. Most shopping is in outlaying shopping centers. I would dare say most medical offices are not on the bus route.
[URL="http://www.indygo.net/"]IndyGo | Home | Indianapolis Public Transportation Corporation[/URL]
[URL="http://www.indy.gov"]City of Indianapolis and Marion County[/URL]
[URL="http://www.mapquest.com/"]MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map[/URL]
Indianapolis is the whole of Marion County and therefore has small towns within the city. In downtown Indianapolis, Speedway, Southport, Beech Grove, Broad Ripple and a few other areas you can do it. You will be walking a couple of miles to do so though. The bus goes downtown from outlaying areas and back. There is a bus schedule that is approximate. Bus's are infrequent. You can live in an outlaying area as long as you are near a major bus route. You would have to take a taxi to Doctor's appointments and other special trips, but the bus can get you to the grocery and shopping centers and downtown. Taking the bus can be an adventure, and does require experience, but is not really difficult. Bus route departure times from route end points are accurate. Transit times are approximate. You can find everything that is documented about the bus's at [URL="http://www.indygo.net/"]IndyGo | Home | Indianapolis Public Transportation Corporation[/URL].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis