Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:27 PM

16 posts, read 36,343 times

Advertisements

I've lived here for 7 years. It is a very boring place to live. Summers are hot and humid and winters are frigid and icey. People stay indoors a lot watching TV to pass the time. It is mainly a good place to live if you want to raise a family. It's good for married couples with children. Not a place for singles or for people who love the outdoors since there are few places that appeal to true outdoor lovers. You get tired of going to the same three places to experience nature and the same couple of restaurants, too.

There is some culture, but it has a very low profile that way. It's not a vibrant exciting city. People who love culture, like museums, plays, etc. will get bored quickly. It's more of a movies and popcorn crowd here. Even the suburbs are surrounded by cornfields!

There are significant racial problems which runs quietly through the city. There is a large population of blacks and few Hispanics. The majority of black population is poorly educated and their mentality is stuck back in the 1950s where they still see themselves as victims who are looking for a handout, and they are full of negative attitude. Downtown, while revitalized and interesting, but small, is surrounded by ghetto from the 1940s. It puts a strain on the atmosphere causing people to have to watch their backs a little too much. Homeless men beg on the streets, something we hadn't seen in cities in a long time.

Christianity and homeschoolers have a toe hold and it's fine for peoplpe who like that, but they frown on anybody who isn't like them. Their beliefs show up in the work place and in society. It doesn't take much to have them judge people who aren't like them and shun them. The majority of the residents are tight-lipped, hostile and narrow-minded. So, a lot of the looser behavior gets forced underground. It's still there, they just work hard to hide it from their neighbors.

Most of the population lives in suburbs, like bedroom communities and they work then go home and stay there. This city feels like a throw back in time and it appeals to people who like life in the slow lane. It's about fishing, hunting, camping, farming, working on cars, going to church, and watching sports on TV. If that's what you enjoy, you'll fit in and be fine here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 02:55 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybeesan View Post
I've lived here for 7 years. It is a very boring place to live. Summers are hot and humid and winters are frigid and icey. People stay indoors a lot watching TV to pass the time. It is mainly a good place to live if you want to raise a family. It's good for married couples with children. Not a place for singles or for people who love the outdoors since there are few places that appeal to true outdoor lovers. You get tired of going to the same three places to experience nature and the same couple of restaurants, too.
People usually only stay indoors when the weather is really hot or really cold. Otherwise, my neighborhood fills with people out walking or at the park. There are a lot of places to enjoy nature. Eagle Creek and Fort Harrison State park to name two right in the city. Mounds State Park in Anderson and Morgan-Monroe State Forest are both less than an hour away from downtown Indy. Shades State Park and Turkey Run State park can both be reached in less than 2 hours. Even Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky can be done in a serious daytrip. And it's going to be like that in most big cities. As for the same couple of restaurants, that's not on the city, that's on you for not taking the time to find more places to eat. I have a friend and his wife who come visit 5 or 6 weekends a year, eating out on average 3 times during their visits. In 5 years, that adds up to 75-90 meals we've had with them here in Indianapolis. We have yet to take them to the same restaurant twice. And we make it a point to only take them to places they can't get in the South Bend/Mishawaka area.

Quote:
There is some culture, but it has a very low profile that way. It's not a vibrant exciting city. People who love culture, like museums, plays, etc. will get bored quickly. It's more of a movies and popcorn crowd here. Even the suburbs are surrounded by cornfields!
Welcome to the Midwest. What do you want the suburbs to be surrounded by??? I love our museums. I've been to the Indianapolis Museum of Art countless times and have taken many out of town guests to it. I've been to the Indiana State Museum a fair amount of times. I greatly enjoy the free Indiana War History museum in the basement of the Indiana World War Memorial. And I know a lot of people that visit the Childrens Museum and the zoo several times a year. I've attended many plays and musicals from the Tarkington Theater in Carmel to Beef and Boards to The Murat and enjoyed every single one of them.

Quote:
There are significant racial problems which runs quietly through the city. There is a large population of blacks and few Hispanics. The majority of black population is poorly educated and their mentality is stuck back in the 1950s where they still see themselves as victims who are looking for a handout, and they are full of negative attitude. Downtown, while revitalized and interesting, but small, is surrounded by ghetto from the 1940s. It puts a strain on the atmosphere causing people to have to watch their backs a little too much. Homeless men beg on the streets, something we hadn't seen in cities in a long time.
What cities do you not see homeless people beg? Carmel?? Because any city the size of Indianapolis has homeless people begging. Chicago, Minneapolis, Washington DC, Atlanta. Every city. Otherwise, I can't speak for the issue of race.

Quote:
Christianity and homeschoolers have a toe hold and it's fine for peoplpe who like that, but they frown on anybody who isn't like them. Their beliefs show up in the work place and in society. It doesn't take much to have them judge people who aren't like them and shun them. The majority of the residents are tight-lipped, hostile and narrow-minded. So, a lot of the looser behavior gets forced underground. It's still there, they just work hard to hide it from their neighbors.
What kind of looser behavior is forced underground? Strip clubs? Those certainly aren't underground. Drugs? Orgies? I'm not sure what morals or beliefs you have that are so shunned you have to do them in private here.

Quote:
Most of the population lives in suburbs, like bedroom communities and they work then go home and stay there. This city feels like a throw back in time and it appeals to people who like life in the slow lane. It's about fishing, hunting, camping, farming, working on cars, going to church, and watching sports on TV. If that's what you enjoy, you'll fit in and be fine here.
One thing people do rave about Indianapolis and the Midwest in general is just the slower pace. I live here instead of New York because I can't stand that hectic, constantly-on-the-go attitude. I can't handle that. I like the more relaxed and laid back attitude of Indianapolis and the Midwest in general. If that's not your thing, the east coast has the hectic lifestyle your looking for.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,229 times
Default You sound miserable

Why don't you leave?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:22 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
ischryos: Right on point.

It is cheaper, slower, nicer, etc. There are times I would like to live in NYC or SF and then I get a reality check. I dont want to work 80 hours a week to try and pay for a studio. I can visit them when I feel the desire and then leave and come home.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 PM

218 posts, read 462,662 times
Quote:
Homeless men beg on the streets, something we hadn't seen in cities in a long time.
ROFLMAO.

Thank you for your wonderful insightful post. You described my life to a tee. You deserve a pat on the head!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:

Indy is NOT boring.
you ARE boring.
big big big difference

Old 10-08-2012, 08:43 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times
I'd recommend Zanex or Propofol

Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,112 times
ischryos is on point here...

It's not about where you live, it's about you and what you make it.... There are many who would be unhappy living in Bura Bura, Fiji, Hawaii or any other exotic place while there are those who would be happy and self satisfied living in Archedale North Carolina... It's all about the person... The glass is half empty, but guess what.. it's also half full.

Coming from the east coast, I like the laid back vibe of Indy... I don't want a hectic lifestyle, that's why we chose to live here and not back in Washington DC, it's a plus for us. And we are a very athletic family and do get out and do all kinds of stuff outdoors.

Remember, to each his own!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,302 times
You need to get out more my brother. It is all what you make of it.

Also sounds like it is your fault that you only go to a couple of restaurants.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 AM

486 posts, read 982,216 times
I'm sorry, the OP is hilarious! I would agree that it sounds like the issue is you, not the city. It sounds like maybe you don't have a good support system (family and friends) in the area and should considering relocating back to where ever you are from....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis