Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 01:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,155,687 times

Advertisements

Indiana City see many high skilled immigrants

Native hoosiers need to pick up the pace I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 08:17 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
They are moving into my neighborhood in droves! Seriously, houses are on the market for HOURS, not days, not weeks. I don't mind at all! They are eager to meet everyone and become part of our community.

I think part of it is that given Columbus's location, many talented US grads don't wish to live in southern indiana. But hey, whatever. I welcome our new residents.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:43 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,416,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
They are moving into my neighborhood in droves! Seriously, houses are on the market for HOURS, not days, not weeks. I don't mind at all! They are eager to meet everyone and become part of our community.

I think part of it is that given Columbus's location, many talented US grads don't wish to live in southern indiana. But hey, whatever. I welcome our new residents.
^Exactly. The primary issues are that Columbus 1) has a high need for technical employees and 2) isn't exactly an easy draw for many native born Hoosiers, much less an engineer living in Seattle or Pittsburgh. I think Columbus is a nice town, but it's not exactly a big draw for a highly skilled employee mulling over offers from around the country.

Foreign workers hoping for an H1B don't have the same leverage when looking for a good job.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:02 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
And to be blunt ... Columbus Indiana is a heck of a lot more attractive than the places many of these HB1 visa holders come from ...

The expats I find here that have the hardest time adjusting are the Western Europeans.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:52 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,416,169 times
Yup. We had a lot of H1Bs where I previously worked. A lot of these folks would have gone wherever they could and yes, compared to home, it was generally much better, and Columbus would be too.

Russians used to paying ridiculous rents for a 600 sqft apartment in Moscow (some of the most expensive real estate in the world), an Albanian who did his PhD in Appalachia (generally not on an American's list of great places to live), Indians used to living in cramped conditions, people from Trinidad&Tobago, downtown Nairobi, Juarez Mexico (crime through the roof currently), and so on. For these types, the sedate, affordable, suburban existence you can find in Columbus is often a breath of fresh air.

Western Europeans, Japanese, someone accustomed to living in a major Canadian or Australian city...others from Rio, Buenos Aires, and even Istanbul...not so much. They would often find themselves bored to tears. Just like an engineer from Seattle, the Bay Area, NE, Chicago, etc.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,082,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
And to be blunt ... Columbus Indiana is a heck of a lot more attractive than the places many of these HB1 visa holders come from ...

The expats I find here that have the hardest time adjusting are the Western Europeans.
Greenwood has seen some grown in expats from India from what I've read/been told. There is said to be some issues of the younger male kids having issues in the schools with how they treat the girls. It is believed to be a cultural thing they are seeing at home and bringing it to the schools.

Columbus is really nice though. Everytime we go down to visit Nashville, we go over to Columbus for some great pizza at Zwanzigz. As far as Indiana living goes, Columbus is more my lifestyle. The only thing I really like is nature hikes, and Columbus has just enough in terms of shopping (wholesale clubs, hardware stores), dining out, and is close enough to wilderness areas...it would fit me great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis