Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:49 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times

Advertisements

Do any of the cities or towns in central Indiana have a requirement to fix up a property that is purchased by a new owner either from the seller or new owner?

I noted some suburbs in the Cleveland area have a Point of Sale inspection and repairs must be made by the new owner of a home before occupancy. I would like to avoid such a community when I am ready start looking for another house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
I have never in Indiana, NC or Alaska had any such requirement. Now if you buy in a historic neighborhood, be careful that your house complies with all the requirements because a new owner might not (probably is not) grandfathered in when there are problems. For example, our neighbor put on an aluminum storm door on a historic house. No one has said anything but it will be a problem if the code enforcement people ever find out.

PS: I would not buy again in a historic neighborhood.

Cannot give any info on HOA requirements for "problem" properties when they change hands.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:09 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I have never in Indiana, NC or Alaska had any such requirement. Now if you buy in a historic neighborhood, be careful that your house complies with all the requirements because a new owner might not (probably is not) grandfathered in when there are problems. For example, our neighbor put on an aluminum storm door on a historic house. No one has said anything but it will be a problem if the code enforcement people ever find out.

PS: I would not buy again in a historic neighborhood.

Cannot give any info on HOA requirements for "problem" properties when they change hands.
Sweetana
Those old historic homes can indeed be costly to fix up. A friend of mine who works on them tried to find some curved glass for a window. He looked all over the country to find a place that sells curved glass and he was quoted $800. The owner will probably go with plexiglass instead since plexiglass bends and can somewhat resemble curved glass. Going with plexiglass is a lot cheaper than buying curved glass.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 05-16-2012 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-16-2012, 02:35 PM

Tell him to be careful because even plexiglass might not be allowed. The rules are unbelieveable and are different for each neighborhood and sometimes each type of property, contributing and noncontributing, within a district. Each district has a huge book of requirements and can be found at the City County Building and purchased. They dont care how much it will cost to repair a historic property.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Tell him to be careful because even plexiglass might not be allowed. The rules are unbelieveable and are different for each neighborhood and sometimes each type of property, contributing and noncontributing, within a district. Each district has a huge book of requirements and can be found at the City County Building and purchased. They dont care how much it will cost to repair a historic property.
That old historic home is not in Indy but somewhere else where the requirements apparently are not as stringent.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:36 PM

Good. I will never live in a neighborhood that has an HOA. I just wanted to make sure I would not get any surprises if I start looking to buy a house in the Indy area later this year.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Good. I will never live in a neighborhood that has an HOA. I just wanted to make sure I would not get any surprises if I start looking to buy a house in the Indy area later this year.
I like our HOA. Faster plowing than VDOT, nice looking neighborhood and keeps the rifraff under control...no jacked up houses, cars on blocks, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I815 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-16-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I like our HOA. Faster plowing than VDOT, nice looking neighborhood and keeps the rifraff under control...no jacked up houses, cars on blocks, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I815 using Tapatalk 2
HOA's are too rigid for my taste.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:00 AM

HOAs are just an alternative for those that like them. And there is a place for them. However, it is wise to understand what you are buying whether a HOA, a historic district, a condo with financial issues, etc.

Too many still fall in love with the house and dont even think about these things until something happens they dont like.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
HOA's are too rigid for my taste.
Our HOA isn't too bad at all. However, it seems like they are more interested in collecting the annual HOA fee which keeps going up and up and up. At times we wonder what we are getting for the money. There certainly wasn't much snow removal this past winter because we hardly had any snow. Maybe the HOA will send everybody a refund for unearned HOA fees.

Sweetana, have you ever heard of an HOA refunding an unearned HOA fee?

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 05-17-2012 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis