Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:42 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Why not look into northern Indiana if u must move to this armpit? The south bend, mishawaka, notre dame area is set up pretty well. I have lived in socal and I have explored Indiana as well and if you must be in this conservative insane laws of a state id say the areas I just mentioned. Indy, while a big city, really has nothing going on. It's a big more expensive version of south bend or any other town in this state. your going to get hoosiers slamming everyone else's recommendations, our nature is tension so get used to that too. But its not all bad, though I come off as an arrogant prick I really can say a few nice things about Indiana. It's cheap, there is a lot of empty space to get away and drive and fall is beautiful. It's not all bad but its much different than what your used to in the land of fruits and nuts.

Really do people in californiastan have any room to talk? 5 major companies moving out every week i guess isnt big enough to send a message. Oh but which state has a balanced budget? Hint its the conservative state Indiana. 6X less people half the taxes yet our budget is balanced? that says it all lol arrogant people from california amuse me lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 06:34 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiahub View Post
Hello, we are native Midwesterners looking to move back to the area after 15 years in California. California has turned us more outdoorsy and slightly more poltically to the center, but we are still very family centric (girls in K and 4th), down to earth, like basketball-tennis-football, music, cultural events and are highly educated in general. Wife is Catholic and I'm Presbyterian, but moderately practice our faiths. My new job is in Carmel, which looks like a great place other than the absolutely ridiculous 4,500 students in the public high school. Zionsville looks very intriguing with its small town village feel, yet modern housing - though I wonder if we may be out of our element if we get far out to the fringes of the Indy suburbs. Perhaps it's just a price point thing? I could spend up to $450/500K, but don't want more than 3,800SF.

I realize this is a tough question, but thought I would throw it out anyway. Shoot from the hip and thanks!
I know there seems to be this Carmel vs. Fishers vs. Zionsville etc. but to be honest if hubby is working in Carmel, just about anything north would literally fit what you are looking for from Washington Township up to Fishers, Carmel or Zionsville. Carmel HS is large, actually the largest school in the state and it has its advantages but it also has its disadvantages. CentralCarmel doesn't mention the parents complaining about class sizes at all levels (Elementary, Junior and High School) and that will not subside anytime soon. Fishers isn't a city and lacks the feel of a city. Zionsville depending on where can get remote, but it's a great neighborhood and if I'm not mistaken, Boone County has surpassed Hamilton as the wealthiest in Indiana (can't remember where I read that so don't quote me). Washington Township which is Indianapolis, you have more as far as outside activities than either of the other 3 locations, North Central historically has been better in sports than Carmel. There are plenty of neighorhoods in Washington Township would fit what you are looking for (Meridian Kessler, Crow Nest, Meridian Hills, etc.).

You could look a little further to the east into Lawrence, not a bad drive to US 31 heading into Carmel or Keystone. Lawrence is by far the basketball powerhouse school in the state over the last several years. Lawrence is its own city, nice feel to it and it sounds like you would enjoy it. Either way, you really won't go wrong looking on the north side for schools and housing.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
I know there seems to be this Carmel vs. Fishers vs. Zionsville etc. but to be honest if hubby is working in Carmel, just about anything north would literally fit what you are looking for from Washington Township up to Fishers, Carmel or Zionsville. Carmel HS is large, actually the largest school in the state and it has its advantages but it also has its disadvantages. CentralCarmel doesn't mention the parents complaining about class sizes at all levels (Elementary, Junior and High School) and that will not subside anytime soon. Fishers isn't a city and lacks the feel of a city. Zionsville depending on where can get remote, but it's a great neighborhood and if I'm not mistaken, Boone County has surpassed Hamilton as the wealthiest in Indiana (can't remember where I read that so don't quote me). Washington Township which is Indianapolis, you have more as far as outside activities than either of the other 3 locations, North Central historically has been better in sports than Carmel. There are plenty of neighorhoods in Washington Township would fit what you are looking for (Meridian Kessler, Crow Nest, Meridian Hills, etc.).

You could look a little further to the east into Lawrence, not a bad drive to US 31 heading into Carmel or Keystone. Lawrence is by far the basketball powerhouse school in the state over the last several years. Lawrence is its own city, nice feel to it and it sounds like you would enjoy it. Either way, you really won't go wrong looking on the north side for schools and housing.

yep and heck i just read with the census data that Meridian Hills (Washington Township) That none of the population of 2k people are below the poverty line and the median income is over 100,000 and that actually is part of the city of Indy

Old 09-03-2011, 07:18 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
yep and heck i just read with the census data that Meridian Hills (Washington Township) That none of the population of 2k people are below the poverty line and the median income is over 100,000 and that actually is part of the city of Indy
Meridian Hills is also the safest neighborhood in Marion County

Old 09-03-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Meridian Hills is also the safest neighborhood in Marion County
yep and the nicest million dollar homes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis