Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 PM

17 posts, read 47,353 times

Advertisements

Indy_317

You said all those areas have crime. Do you have any suggestions about better areas to live in? When I looked up the crime for those areas, it was relatively low. Franklin and Greenwood actually had the highest crime, but it wasn't that high. Feeling a little worried now. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 AM

28 posts, read 33,797 times
Crime in Indy is mostly concentrated in *Pockets* within the city Notiably the east side meadows apartments etc. Do some research and find those pockets and stay away from them and youll find Indy to be amazing

Old 05-14-2011, 02:31 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnH54 View Post
You said all those areas have crime. Do you have any suggestions about better areas to live in? When I looked up the crime for those areas, it was relatively low. Franklin and Greenwood actually had the highest crime, but it wasn't that high. Feeling a little worried now. Advice?
In the Indy metro area, there isn't an area that is 100% crime free. The way to avoid crime is to live in the most rural, less dense area you can find. Even then, a teenager down the street could still victimize you by stealing from you. Where ever one ends up, a home alarm system is a must. Also, don't brag about your 50" flat screen TV, your safe full of $1,000 rifles, etc.. Don't post on Facebook to 1,000 "friends" that you are leaving for your one week Florida vacation three days after you posted photos of your 50" 3-D TV.

Most crime in the burbs is theft: Home burglaries and vehicle break-ins. Don't leave stuff sitting out in plain view in your vehicle and the thieves will take a look, see nothing, and go on to the next vehicle.

Most of your violent crime (robberies, home invasion robberies) are going to be found in the lower income areas of any city. Most home invasion robberies aren't even stranger vs. stranger...usually the robbers know that there are guns, drugs, and/or money in the home they target.

Greenwood and Franklin don't have that much violent crime. I would bet any violent crimes usually have a relationship of some sort between victim and offender. Just keep a low profile, secure your stuff, and get a home alarm system.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 PM

17 posts, read 47,353 times
Thanks again to you both. Another quick question. When we visited Whiteland/New Whiteland, Greenwood (we were Rt. 31) there was an odd smell. The only thing I can think of is a fume mixed with a sweet smell. Are there waste management places there? Could it have been the farms we passed or a food processing plant. It was very humid that day. It was kind of a moldy odor also. Is there anything I should be aware of? I have always loved Indiana after visiting it a few times. It is just taking time to get there. What city in Indiana would you choose to live in if you had a choice?

Old 05-14-2011, 02:40 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnH54 View Post
What city in Indiana would you choose to live in if you had a choice?
I likely wouldn't live in any "city" in terms of city limits. I have a few ideal places I would mind living:

If I worked in Indy and wanted to be really close to downtown Indy, but live more rural:
-NW Shelby County...the Pleasant View area just off I-74. More rural and somewhat of a drive to area Walmarts and such, but the drives wouldn't be that bad. Gives one quick interstate access and the ability to reach all different points in Indy pretty quick.

live more suburban:
New Palestine area.

Small town living:
Morristown or Knightstown

If a long drive to downtown Indy wasn't an issue:
Somewhere west of the I-65 exit at SR 46 (ie: Between Nashville and Columbus, but much closer to the Columbus part, maybe even within the Columbus city limits if they go that far west...which I would think they do). I really like this area. Not too densely populated, with offerings from Columbus close-by. Decent shopping at the outlet mall just down the interstate. Greenwood also isn't that far away and you pretty much would have everything you would need on the south side of town.

I also don't mind the areas along I-74 towards Cincinnati: Shelbyville, Greensburg, and Batesville.

Been years since I have been to some of these cities, so things may have changed for the worse.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:03 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
The only issue with these would be the commute in inclement weather in the winter time....

My spouse is from Whiteland, and it is a nice small town environment for the most part. A family member was a board member for Clark-Pleasant schools, and they are a very good school district despite the somewhat rural aspect of portions of the area.

You have a fairly easy commute to Indy as well as just about anything you could imagine retail-wise within minutes.

Not a bad place by any means....

RM

Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 PM

5 posts, read 14,156 times
I wouldn't move to New Whiteland or Whiteland for all the money in the world. It is inconveniently located with regard to most social activities and shopping is inconvenient at best. I'd much rather move to a more populated city like Indianapolis or even Greenwood.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:56 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,217 times
I've lived in Whiteland for 3 years now and while I admit I prefer to be back in Marion County, it's not all that bad. Whiteland/New whiteland/Greenwood are all interchangeable. I live in Whiteland, my police statoin is Greenwood PD even though the new Whiteland Police station is less than 3 minutes from me. In all honesty, you don't know where one ends and the other begins. Outside of high schools, it's just one small area full of a lot of older homes but more and more cookie cutter housing additions going up all the time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis