Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 06:38 AM

5 posts, read 9,771 times

Advertisements

Hello - We are moving to indy soon and seek help in any way / form.
We are a family of 5: oldest is 7 years old and we have a 5 years old daughter and a new born. Non of them speaks English.
1. Any good private schools you can reccomend?
2. what are the preffered places to live - I will work in the downtown area.
3. What can my wife to to fill up her time - she will not work in the short time frame.
4. Any Jewish community in Indy?

Thank you in advance for every tip / help

D1D1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 05:55 PM

667 posts, read 2,893,211 times
What is the children's native language?

Old 07-03-2010, 06:13 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,819,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1d1 View Post
Hello - We are moving to indy soon and seek help in any way / form.
We are a family of 5: oldest is 7 years old and we have a 5 years old daughter and a new born. Non of them speaks English.
3. What can my wife to to fill up her time - she will not work in the short time frame.

Thank you in advance for every tip / help

D1D1
The temples are on the northside of Indianapolis, mainly in the Meridian Hills area. Here is a list of synagogues:
Synagogues in Indianapolis - Shuls in Indianapolis - Jewish Temples in Indianapolis

There really isn't a distinct Jewish area of the city like in larger cities.

There are private hebrew schools:
Home | Bureau of Jewish Education

Also, on the northside, Sycamore School, Orchard School and Park Tudor are all excellent. There are also other parochial schools. International School has language immersion programs too.

The Jewish Community Center has many opportunities for volunteerism and social interaction ...

hope that gets you started a bit.

I guess if you want to live near your synagogue, I'd live on the northside of Indy or in Carmel. There is a relatively new temple there as well.
Home | Bureau of Jewish Education

Old 07-04-2010, 06:21 AM

5 posts, read 9,771 times
Hebrew

Old 07-04-2010, 08:33 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,819,728 times
you should be able to gather enough information from the links I sent above.

here's a link to the JCC:

JCC Indy

This will also be a good place to contact:

http://www.jfgi.org/index.aspx?page=1

Old 07-04-2010, 10:20 AM

245 posts, read 684,795 times
Quote:
I think the International School would be an excellent option for you. Check it out here: International School of Indiana

The schools the previous posters have mentioned are excellent as well.

Quote:
I suggest you look on the north side of the city, in the Meridian-Kessler or Butler-Tarkington neighborhoods. You will have a short commute downtown (20 minutes at most), and you will be close to most of the schools that have been recommended.

Since you're working downtown and your kids will be going to private school, I suggest you avoid the suburbs. The suburban population is very homogenous, so speaking limited or no English could make it difficult to fit in, not to mention the commute times would at least double.

Quote:

I assume she'll be spending a lot of time with your newborn, so she might enjoy some of the "mommy and me" type stuff that is usually offered at places of worship or community centers. There are several synagogues around the city, so I would find one you like and then see what kind of stuff they have to do.

I believe someone linked to the Jewish Community Center as well; I think they will have some great options too.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:08 AM

667 posts, read 2,893,211 times
Quote:
Hebrew
Since this is the case the other people are spot on with advice. The only thing I can reiterate is the JCC will have the answers you are looking for. It's a lovely site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis