Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 6,405 times

Advertisements

Hi..I am prospective student at IUPUI. for Fall 2010 ..I am looking for an apartment that is close to the campus...I am not sure how to start searching for the same and how reliable the websites are..Would appreciate any advice on the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 AM

891 posts, read 2,452,845 times
I would first look into Canal Square Apartments. That is probably the best one in the immediate area. Although it might be one of the more expensive ones

Downtown Indianapolis Apartments for rent at Canal Square Apts Managed By Barrett & Stokely

Old 06-10-2010, 10:00 AM

245 posts, read 683,682 times
Craigslist is always a good place to look. You can probably score a house or condo, rather than an apartment, to rent, and the rents are usually cheaper. That depends on the amenities you're looking for, though. If you want a pool and workout room, you might be better off sticking with an apartment complex.

You can also take an afternoon and just go downtown and walk around. A lot of the buildings with a storefront on the ground floor have apartments and lofts on the upper floors. There are a lot of older buildings that don't necessarily advertise on the websites, too.

In my experience, the best website is Apartments for Rent & Homes for Rent - Rent.com® Apartment Finder. You'll want to cross-reference the places you look at with reviews on Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. too, but be advised the ratings are just a guideline because a lot of the people that post are disgruntled.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,491,471 times
Depends on how far you want to be from campus. I live just east of Pennsylvania in the St. Joseph neighborhood. The Apollo gets good ratings and has a fenced parking lot. Van Rooy apartments are all over and I would check them out before Stallard or Zender. Marrott is a huge apartment building on Meridian and Fall Creek but farther away. Buckingham company has apartments downtown (Ambassador is one) but I dont know how much they charge.

Make sure you contact the school to see if they have info since this is a common issue.

There are downtown apartments of all kinds but sometimes they are a single in a home and a drive around may locate the occasional For Rent signs.

There are not a lot of apartments close to the campus since it is a downtown location and two sides are very low income housing areas.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:33 PM

369 posts, read 682,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaya_s View Post
Hi..I am prospective student at IUPUI. for Fall 2010 ..I am looking for an apartment that is close to the campus...I am not sure how to start searching for the same and how reliable the websites are..Would appreciate any advice on the same.
There are now five complexes close to campus:

Lockefield Gardens (Sometimes spelled Lockfield Gardens): This is off of Indiana Ave., north and east of campus, depending on where you are on campus. Rent for a one bedroom was going up to over $600/month when my now wife was leaving five years ago. My guess is that given the economy and such, it still may be around $600.00. They have a pool, and permit parking. They are big on towing, so if you have a lot of visitors, they will need to find parking elsewhere. They also have garages for extra money. They have an outdoor pool and hot tub.

Canal Square: They have a pool and parking garage. It is located right on the west bank of the canal. Not sure how much rents are, but in the past they were slightly higher than Lockefield Gardens.

Canal Overlook: This complex is off of Indiana Ave., south of Michigan St.. Is basically across the canal from Canal Square, on the east bank of the canal. Not sure where parking is, believe they have a parking garage.

Gardens of Canal Courts: Located east of West St./Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street, north of Indiana Ave.. This complex is around ten years old. They have a pool, used to have high rents.

Cosmopolitan: This is the newest complex. It is located at Senate Ave. and W. Michigan St., on the east bank of the Canal. My guess is that apartments are pretty pricey. This will likely help bring down rents in the surround areas, as Gardens of Canal Courts were the newest apartments until this place opened up.

Slightly further away is another place you might look into. InterContinental Hotels Group (the company which owns Holiday Inn, Staybridge Suites, and others) purchased two 11 or 12 story towers that were former apartments. The turned one of them into a Candlewood Suites and another into a place they call Parkplace (might be Park Place). They have a 24/7 person on-duty, since the Candlewood Tower is technically a hotel. IUPUI Housing has been subleasing part of the complex. The nice thing about that is that there is a campus shuttle that runs about every 10 mins. or so. Understand that this sublease could end at anytime, but I have heard that IUPUI Housing will once again sublease some units this coming school year.

Crime can be bad. There is a Section 8 complex off of 10th St. and University Blvd. call Campus Apartments. They have nothing to do with the university and from what I can tell, are 100% Section 8. To the west of this complex is an old YMCA which is being torn down. There are plans for a new apartment complex to be built there, though I am not sure when it will open. The Campus Apartments bring lots of crime to the surrounding area. There are robberies in Lockefield, usually late at night. Car break-ins are a big problem all over the downtown area.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post

Crime can be bad. There is a Section 8 complex off of 10th St. and University Blvd. call Campus Apartments. They have nothing to do with the university and from what I can tell, are 100% Section 8. To the west of this complex is an old YMCA which is being torn down. There are plans for a new apartment complex to be built there, though I am not sure when it will open. The Campus Apartments bring lots of crime to the surrounding area. There are robberies in Lockefield, usually late at night. Car break-ins are a big problem all over the downtown area.

Hope this helps.
Is it really that bad in and around the IUPUI campus? I have noticed the place called campus apartments and that it's not the world's nicest looking place. That said, I never got the sense it was that bad around that area.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:13 PM

8,985 posts, read 17,318,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Is it really that bad in and around the IUPUI campus?
no

Old 06-11-2010, 03:41 AM

369 posts, read 682,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Is it really that bad in and around the IUPUI campus? I have noticed the place called campus apartments and that it's not the world's nicest looking place. That said, I never got the sense it was that bad around that area.
Do you call this bad?:

Five years ago: A guy goes into multiple apartments in Lockefield Gardens. Dumb college kids are leaving their doors unlocked. What does he do: He watches people sleep until they wake up. Then he leaves. Scary.

About two years ago: Two guys are roaming around Lockefield Gardens robbing people at gunpoint. They are forcing them into a vehicle and taking them to the ATM at the bank off of 10th St. They take the money, then run into Campus Apartments.

About four years ago: Someone with a skeleton mask is robbing people on the canal.

About five to six years ago: Two guy rob multiple people, including an off-duty officer, on the Canal.

About three months ago: Three girls are sitting in their Lockefield Apartment when two guys enter through the open patio door. One has a gun and yells commands at the occupants. One girl hears this, she escapes to call the cops. The other guy take their flat screen TV. Again, they run to Campus Apartments.

About two months ago: A guy is robbed at gun point outside the Hardees. Suspect runs into, wait for it, Campus Apartments.

Within the last five years: Numerous armed robberies of the businesses up around Taco Bell, Papa Johns, etc.. Again, the robbers run over to Campus Apartments.

Number of car break-ins over a five year period: Likely 300-500, if not more. A handful of burglaries and peeping toms.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:31 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,610,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
Do you call this bad?:

Five years ago: A guy goes into multiple apartments in Lockefield Gardens. Dumb college kids are leaving their doors unlocked. What does he do: He watches people sleep until they wake up. Then he leaves. Scary.

About two years ago: Two guys are roaming around Lockefield Gardens robbing people at gunpoint. They are forcing them into a vehicle and taking them to the ATM at the bank off of 10th St. They take the money, then run into Campus Apartments.

About four years ago: Someone with a skeleton mask is robbing people on the canal.

About five to six years ago: Two guy rob multiple people, including an off-duty officer, on the Canal.

About three months ago: Three girls are sitting in their Lockefield Apartment when two guys enter through the open patio door. One has a gun and yells commands at the occupants. One girl hears this, she escapes to call the cops. The other guy take their flat screen TV. Again, they run to Campus Apartments.

About two months ago: A guy is robbed at gun point outside the Hardees. Suspect runs into, wait for it, Campus Apartments.

Within the last five years: Numerous armed robberies of the businesses up around Taco Bell, Papa Johns, etc.. Again, the robbers run over to Campus Apartments.

Number of car break-ins over a five year period: Likely 300-500, if not more. A handful of burglaries and peeping toms.
Ok well none of these are actually at IUPUI. Second of all if I went back 5 years I could find these things occurring in Fishers and I doubt you would tell people to avoid it. IUPUI is a safe campus and downtown is a generally safe area if you know how to act in a city.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:02 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Ok well none of these are actually at IUPUI. Second of all if I went back 5 years I could find these things occurring in Fishers and I doubt you would tell people to avoid it. IUPUI is a safe campus and downtown is a generally safe area if you know how to act in a city.
Agreed. There are going to be many incidents of crime, when looking over a 5 Y time frame. It doesn't say much. I don't really consider IUPUI and its environs to be particularly dangerous. There doesn't seem to be much evidence to support the claim that this area is very dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis