Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Indiana Toll Road, better or worse since the lease
Better 5 50.00%
Worse 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:11 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times

Advertisements

ok. please feel free to list your opinions, good, or bad. It would be nice if the gripes or compliments were specific in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 11:19 AM

265 posts, read 964,489 times
We don't use it a lot (we prefer to chicken out and go west, then north rather than take the toll road when going to Chicago), but it seems that it was in better repair awhile back. Even though it seemed there were always pockets of construction, the section in Lake county is definitely a mess and very unsafe.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:47 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Well not sure when the lease started. I have been here a year and actually find the toll road pretty decent. But then again, I come from the Detroit area which is pot hole hell. Even my relatives that come visit, always remark about how nice the roads are here.

My only complaint I guess is a few weeks ago we traveled to Fort Wayne and took the toll road to LaGrange (I believe), the toll booth there is un-maned. So we insert our ticket like the machine says too but it wouldnt read the ticket. So in the wee hours of the morning we are fighting with this machine. There is a button on the machine to notify a customer agent, thank goodness cuss I started to feel a bit tense wondering how we would get out of there since the exit is blocked by automatic arm thingy. It took us 15 minutes to get this resolved.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:41 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Okay, I have to correct my earlier post. Mom just came down to visit and she said the Mishawaka booth was unmanned last night. Took her a while to get through. That is a pretty busy spot to be unmanned.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:47 AM

does that mean you want to amend your vote???

Old 01-01-2010, 10:48 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Okay, I have to correct my earlier post. Mom just came down to visit and she said the Mishawaka booth was unmanned last night. Took her a while to get through. That is a pretty busy spot to be unmanned.
If she's going to be traveling the Toll Road frequently, she should get an I-Zoom transponder. Tolls are cheaper that way, and you don't have to worry about dealing with a human.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:31 AM

you shouldn't be forced to buy a transponder and keep money loaded onto it. the only convenience is for the company running the toll road ... it's less people for them to have to employ and give a paycheck to. But yet they keep raising the tolls .. hmmmmmm ..

Old 01-01-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
you shouldn't be forced to buy a transponder and keep money loaded onto it. the only convenience is for the company running the toll road ... it's less people for them to have to employ and give a paycheck to. But yet they keep raising the tolls .. hmmmmmm ..
You're not forced to, DG, but it makes sense as you pay lower tolls that way. Is it an incentive designed to ensure they have to staff fewer people and, therefore, pay less in salaries? Of course. But you know what? Your good friends over in your beloved Chicago started that years before Indiana did, so we're just now catching up. I suspect other toll roads are/will do the same. Change is inevitable. But, hey, maybe the good folks north of U.S. 30 just don't want to change. If that's the case, then enjoy being considered the "ugly stepchild" of Indiana, as you put it.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:39 PM

well, methinks the term, even more ugly stepchild of the state of indiana is apropos. But yet they keep raising the tolls ... and they employ fewer people ....

Old 01-01-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
well, methinks the term, even more ugly stepchild of the state of indiana is apropos. But yet they keep raising the tolls ... and they employ fewer people ....
Don't you think the state would've had to do the same thing to pay for the road repairs and to install the electronic tolling equipment? And don't you think the state would've wanted to go to electronic tolling in order to save labor expenses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana