Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 03:05 PM

13 posts, read 115,206 times

Advertisements

Okay, so we are looking for a smaller town feel. We would prefer to live outside of a larger (not huge) town. We want to acquire some acreage (5 or so). I need to find a job at a vet clinic close to where we will call home. My dh can transfer to a new location with his current job.

So which town/area would be better? Which has the lower cost of living? we would like to be in somewhat close proximity to a Walmart (which I hear shouldn't be too hard). Living near a PetsMart would be nice. I would like to be in a family friendly, dog friendly town with beauty all aorund. Can I get your opinions? Is ther a car tax? Porperty tax? etc...

Thanks for your help guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 08:03 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I can't comment specifically on Ft. Wayne versus Evansville, but can comment on the taxes:

We do have real estate taxes, a state income tax, and sales tax on non food items.

I don't think it's called a "car tax" but the cost of new license plates is deteremined by the age/make/model of the car. The more valuable the car, the more the plates are going to cost you. (maybe someone here can chime in with the maximum rate--husband sends it in so I don't know the exact cost)

Old 05-08-2007, 04:27 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
It's true. However, the price has gone down somewhat. The newer the car, the higher the tag price. I plated my 1983 Honda Civic in 1990 for 35 bucks ... but my parents brand new car was over 500 ...

Old 05-08-2007, 08:13 PM

95 posts, read 456,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetardnas1885 View Post
Okay, so we are looking for a smaller town feel. We would prefer to live outside of a larger (not huge) town. We want to acquire some acreage (5 or so). I need to find a job at a vet clinic close to where we will call home. My dh can transfer to a new location with his current job.

So which town/area would be better? Which has the lower cost of living? we would like to be in somewhat close proximity to a Walmart (which I hear shouldn't be too hard). Living near a PetsMart would be nice. I would like to be in a family friendly, dog friendly town with beauty all aorund. Can I get your opinions? Is ther a car tax? Porperty tax? etc...

Thanks for your help guys!
Harlan comes to mind. It's about 10-20 minutes east of Fort wayne off Indiana State Route 37. And there's a PetsMart and a Walmart there in that shopping center along with a Kohls, Menards, Meijer, various restaurants, etc right off of IN37 just west of I469.

Also, there's a vet clinic off of Stellhorn, which isn't too far from the area I'm describing. Oddly enough it's called Stellhorn Vet.

Property taxes will depend on where the property is. The county is going to have a property tax, obviously. I'm not too sure what the cost is, but my taxes are over 600 for New Haven. Car taxes will be the state 6% sales tax, if you're talking about needing to buy a new vehicle. Plates will, of course, have taxes on them too. Just depends on the year/make/model, etc.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:51 PM

27 posts, read 158,418 times
Having spent a 18 months in Evanasville and a little over 22 years in FTW, I think FTW would be a better choice. However, the weather in Evansville is a little warmer in winter. Less snow, but more ice. Summers can be a tad warmer there as well. Being a river city, Evansville has a lot of recreational activites if you're you're into water fun. But... FTW seems friendlier, has a lower cost of living, and one of the best municipal zooa in the country. And lots of Vet clinics throughoout the city/county. You may want to check on Ossian and Zanesville. Both small rural type communities just south of FTW. Good luck with your choice.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:03 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Evansville has a Super Walmart, along with Kohl's, Home Depot, Sam's Club, Lowe's and much more.

The winters are much easier than Northern Indiana.

You should probably visit both towns before deciding.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:53 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
Fort Wayne has 4 Super Walmarts and they are building another one, 2 Kohls, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Sam's Club, I do believe 2 Meijer stores, 2 malls, and a plenty of places to eat if you like to go to restaurants.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:01 PM

95 posts, read 456,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Fort Wayne has 4 Super Walmarts and they are building another one, 2 Kohls, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Sam's Club, I do believe 2 Meijer stores, 2 malls, and a plenty of places to eat if you like to go to restaurants.
If memory serves me correctly Ft Wayne has; one Sams Club, 4 walmart's, 3 meijer's, 2 best buy's, 3 Kohl's (IN37, Coliseum and I believe out by jefferson pointe), 2 menard's, 2 home depot's, 2 lowe's, glenbrook and jefferson pointe.

Not to mention a few Office Depots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana