Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 7,060 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Indiana most of my life (short stints in Cincinnati and Nashville, TN). I think a lot of folks here have their advice right. I am also a teacher and a coach and have been all over the state, all four corners and everywhere in between - coaching, watching athletic events, or just taking road trips. I have been to nearly every town in the state in my 36 years!

Jasper is very nice, but people do seem to be stuck up there. Very similar to New Palestine, which is just east of Indianapolis. Folks tend to think their money makes them better than other people.

Madison is an excellent choice. The school is not very good, though (check the Indiana Department of Education statistics). Hanover College, near Madison, however, is an excellent school.

Greenfield? Yuck. Don't even think about it. Same for New Castle. Dirty, crowded, and drugs/alcohol are rampant. They're also hardly "small". Greenfield has become a terrible place to try to drive through. If you're looking east look at Centerville or Cambridge City. Small towns with excellent schools (academically and athletically) and good people.

Lafayette is also hardly "small", but it, like Bloomington, is a good place to live if you're looking for a small city near excellent schools. Same for Columbus. Very nice place - good diversity and good schools, but not at all "small".

Rensselaer in Northwest Indiana
Charlestown and Clarksville in southern Indiana (very close to Louisville, however)
Batesville in southeastern Indiana - that would be my choice of anywhere in the state. One of the best schools and I've found the people there to be extremely friendly.

We live in Shelby county, south east of Indianapolis. We are going to move to Centerville or Rushville soon (closer to where my wife and I teach). We love the country and dislike places that are busy or where people are stuck up and those are nice country towns.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 12,038 times
I have lived in Indiana nearly my entire life, except for a short stint in southern Virginia. Batesville has got to be one of the best small towns in America! The people are friendly, it is a beautiful place, it has wonderful schools, and the economy is still flourishing. The housing market is holding strong, at least better than most places. If you don't beleive me, drive through some of the new subdivisions that are being built. There are dozens of new houses going up each week. It is one of those places where you will be welcomed and not want to leave. If you want a real small town check out Oldenburg. It probably has a population of about 350 but another great little "German" town. There is absolutely beautiful scenery around both Batesville and Oldenburg as well.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:57 PM

22 posts, read 96,097 times
Default Did anyone ever live in Paoli, IN??

I lived there back in the late 60's. I loved it because it was so small and homey. I'm thinking of moving back. Any imput on the town??

Evelyn

Old 06-06-2009, 02:32 PM

9 posts, read 33,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Mate View Post
Looking to move to Southern Indiana from the S.F. Bay Area sometime next year approximately. Any advice on good places to consider moving to? Bloomington area, Crane, Jasper and Salem have been some places I've been looking at. Any other suggestions. I'm in the service so my work is where ever I get sent, but I need a supportive community to come home to.....something sorely and sadly lacking in my "home" state.....
Thanks.
I'm a newbie to this forum and I created an account mainly so respond to this post.

I have spent most of my life in the SF Bay Area. I got married and moved to Roachdale, IN. After 12+ years, I moved back to the Bay Area. Other than the name of the town, it's an awesome place to live!

I've been back in the Bay Area for a year and a half. In less than two weeks, I am moving back to Roachdale, IN and I can't wait!!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:14 AM

2 posts, read 13,745 times
Thumbs up Your advice--I think it's right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker06 View Post
In my opinion, you would be very well off to stay away from Salem. Salem is pretty much being turned into a low wage slum full of drugs, drunks, and a lot of low mentality people. I don't mean to be snotty but if you want your kids and or grandkids to have a future, you would consider elsewhere in Indiana or another state. Personally, I would look into living in other Indiana locations such as Columbus, Franklin, Madison, Jasper, or elsewhere if living in Indiana is in your interest.

My observation is that Salem isn't the place for well meaning and intelligent people. The town makes a waste of the talent that they do have and most of the people with a decent future leave because local employers would rather hire minimum wage slaves instead of creating a decent local economy.

Also, Salem doesn't have the amenities you can find elsewhere in Southern Indiana such as in Sellersburg, Clarksville, Columbus, Franklin, Jasper or Madison. Salem is so pathetic that the town doesn't even have a Wal Mart and most people drive to Scottsburg or Clarksville to go to Wal Mart. 20 miles to Scottsburg and 30 to Clarksville. The closest local mall or decent national chain restaurants are 30 miles away in Clarksville.

Salem doesn't also have much in the way of decent paying jobs unless you want to work in a factory or some other bad environment. If you are a college graduate with some ambition this place isn't for you as they would rather hire those who are illiterate and full of themselves than someone with proven ability and competence.

In my opinion, as far as cities and towns in Southern Indiana go. I would rank them in this order.

1. Columbus (excellent schools and job opportunities)
2. Sellersburg/Clarksville (part of Louisville, KY Metro) (Good schools and a metro area nearby for good jobs)
3. Bloomington (IU and good schools, decent jobs)
4. Evansville (decent schools but some good jobs)
5. Jasper (good school system and decent jobs)
6. Madison (decent jobs but a lot of small town cronyism)
7. Seymour (high illegal Hispanic population)
8. Greensburg (Honda plant and proximity to Indy and Cincy)
9. Lawrenceburg (Very close to Cincinnati Metro)
10. Scottsburg (30 miles to Louisville)
11. North Vernon (Lack of jobs, decent schools)
12. Paoli (Great town for a small business, very clannish)
13. Bedford (Lack of Jobs, Lack of decent business, so so schools)
14. Salem (Lack of paying jobs, crummy schools, a good ole boy culture that would make you hold your nose, high poverty, low wages, low education levels, poor economic development priorities mostly focused on pleasing local low wage businesses)

Educationally, you're better off being in a college town such as Bloomington or closer to Cincy, Indy, or Louisville.

Job wise, you are better off going to one of the top ten on the list. Stay away from the smaller towns and lower on the list. Too many people holding back economic progress and bringing in businesses and companies.

Also, the bottom three cities on the list are known for having high amounts of substance abuse problems for a smaller community. Methamphetamines are a major problem here.

I have to agree with you, sadly to say, but that's the way it is! And Austin and Crothersville (Crud ersville)--peeeuuuueeeewwwww!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 AM

2 posts, read 13,745 times
Unhappy Paoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn123 View Post
I lived there back in the late 60's. I loved it because it was so small and homey. I'm thinking of moving back. Any imput on the town??

Evelyn

Yes, I lived there 10 years ago for the 10 years previously. (The 90's) It has grown with more stores and fast food, but it's still about the same. The people are friendly, but they sure do gossip! You have to be careful what you tell anyone!!!

It's a small town place, a county seat and in general, out in the middle of nowhere. That's rural Indiana. Don't move there if you are expecting the big city life. It does have more people and houses on nearly every road out of town. Since we moved away there's about 8 times the houses on our road than were there then. Some Amish are moving in north of town, so there will be some farmland left.

In my opinion, all of Indiana is losing the farmland and turning into a giant suburb. All the farms are being either sold to the giant farmers or it's being subdivided or both. It's very hard to live anywhere and still be isolated. Even the woods are all being subdivided. It's way too crowded. I'm ready to move to Montana.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:51 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,072,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbiegirl View Post
I'm a newbie to this forum and I created an account mainly so respond to this post.

I have spent most of my life in the SF Bay Area. I got married and moved to Roachdale, IN. After 12+ years, I moved back to the Bay Area. Other than the name of the town, it's an awesome place to live!

I've been back in the Bay Area for a year and a half. In less than two weeks, I am moving back to Roachdale, IN and I can't wait!!
Roachdale is an amazing place! I live only about 35-45 minutes Southeast of Roachdale. I have friends that live their and I often go their.Roachdale is truly a jewel.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:41 AM

9 posts, read 33,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Roachdale is an amazing place! I live only about 35-45 minutes Southeast of Roachdale. I have friends that live their and I often go their.Roachdale is truly a jewel.
I'm enjoying being back very much.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:48 PM

5 posts, read 20,538 times
I am moving to Scottsburg at the end of the month. My questions are these: 1) are there any insurance job headhunters (recruiting places) in the area and 2) Any bars nearby that do Karaoke...

Old 07-10-2009, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,779 times
Stay away from wells county they have turned it into the sewer of Indiana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana