Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 12,144 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I am a sahm with 3 kids. My husband is being relo'd to Columbus, IN. I have 2 school age boys, one, 8 years old in a gifted 4th grade class and a 7 year old, just as smart in a 1st grade class. My daughter is 2.
So here is what I am looking for:
*a great school district - I am a very involved parent that volunteers a lot!
*need a 4 bedroom - having a hard time finding houses for rent
*don't want to be more than 30 minutes from Columbus.
What would be a good place to look into?
Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 11:37 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
We've been in Columbus for 1.5 years. There are 2 gifted student magnet schools, Parkside Elementary and Southside Elementary. Gifted student classes start in the 4th grade and have to be tested to get into the program.

I'm pm you about a rental house ...

Outside of Columbus, I'd investigate the Center Grove school district in Greenwood. They have very good public schools.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 PM

Thanks domergurl! That is great information! Exactly what I am looking for. Where did you come from before Columbus? How do you like it? Would you recommend living in Columbus or Greenwood?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartermom3 View Post
Thanks domergurl! That is great information! Exactly what I am looking for. Where did you come from before Columbus? How do you like it? Would you recommend living in Columbus or Greenwood?
We moved down here from Fishers. For me personally, I like Columbus better ... I'm over suburban living. I know that Columbus isn't for everyone and I've been known to get on my Columbus high horse ... right folks???

Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM

I have heard that Fishers is the new "hot" place to live. However, it is too far away from Columbus, where my husband will be working. Looking for something closer. So, I take it you are happy in Columbus? What is the shopping like in Columbus? Grocery and Clothing?
Do you know much about Greenwood?
You are a great help! Thanks!

Old 02-12-2009, 03:26 PM

We almost moved to Greenwood, but the thought of a 10 minute commute vs. a 30+ minute commute on 65 ... we commuted from Fishers for a year .. yuck.

Greenwood is very nice. Again, the Center Grove School system is highly rated. I have friends of friends who have a gifted student who was in the center grove school system and now is the same here in Columbus.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:01 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
We moved down here from Fishers. For me personally, I like Columbus better ... I'm over suburban living. I know that Columbus isn't for everyone and I've been known to get on my Columbus high horse ... right folks???
Neverrrrr.

I'm in Columbus too. Going on 9 years now (how did that happen?).

I'm not quite as enamored as domergurl ( ) but overall it a decent small town.

And that is the key to living here: it is a small town and on some level very much a "factory town". Shopping is.....hit or miss. We have Walmart and Target and Kroger and Sam's. Kohl's. No Costco, no Whole Foods, no Trader Joes, no Best Buy (we are about to loose Circuit City of course).

If you are a foodie (like me!) or a fashionista you will find yourself driving to Indy, Louisville or Cincy. Luckily those are all under 1.5 hrs away. Chicago is an easy weekend get-away if you need a big-city fix!

The benefits: Virtually no traffic. Minimal commute times (we got rid of one car and just share one/use our bicycles). Low stress. Nice people. Great library. Good farmer's market in spring/summer.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:08 PM

I still go to Costco & TJ's ... even if you live in Greenwood, you'll still have to trek to northern Indy to get those stores. I still maintain and use my memberships at the Children's Museum and the Indy Zoo ... you really get spoiled down here if you find yourself having more than 10 minutes to get anywhere. I don't know, I don't find myself missing much. Wish I could get to Bloomington faster though ... sigh.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:22 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
you really get spoiled down here if you find yourself having more than 10 minutes to get anywhere. I don't know, I don't find myself missing much. Wish I could get to Bloomington faster though ... sigh.
I know what you mean. We are soooo spoiled.

If we had a Bloomingfoods (Capriole chesse??? yum) and maybe a few off-shoots of some B-ton cafes/coffee shops (Soma!) I could be totally satisfied.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:01 AM

I would totally join a Bloomingfoods!!! I love it when I was a student at IU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana