Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:18 PM

69 posts, read 324,927 times

Advertisements

How's the weather in Columbus, Indiana. Is it a nice place to live. Anyone looking for a finish carpenter down there, LOL. I'm trying to get away from the New England weather. Any comments on this town would be great.

Thanks, and have a happy new year,

Jer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 07:03 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,160,870 times
Columbus is a pretty nice town but I wouldn't go any further south of there like down in Jennings County. There's always a demand for a good finish carpenter.

It got up to around 60 degrees yesterday here in Indiana and I could wear shorts outside.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post

It got up to around 60 degrees yesterday here in Indiana and I could wear shorts outside.

60 degrees! Awesome. I would love that. It got down to 8 degrees where I am. And I woke up to a bunch of snow.

Thanks for the info!

Jer

Old 12-30-2006, 11:24 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,124,760 times
I'm in Columbus...and I xc ski! Wanna trade weather?

Not sure what other info you are seeking....the local paper is therepublicdotcom. You can find general info about the IN economy and business/housing prospects at the Indianapolis Star.

Basic stats on weather, median income, etc etc can, of course, be found here:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Columbus-Indiana.html

Last edited by plaidmom; 12-30-2006 at 12:15 PM..

Old 12-30-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I'm in Columbus...and I xc ski! Wanna trade weather?
Sure, we can trade weather. You might need a few mountains down there, lol. I'm curious about the town, especially from someone who lives there. What are Finish Carpenters averaging down there. How is the school? Safe? Do they have a football team? I would like to see my son get into football, maybe. The school in my town doesn't have a team. Is there A Gold's Gym, or a good gym down there. Is there a lot of good paying jobs, and just how bad is the traffic? You know, the basic. Thanks!

Oh ya. I don't have to be a Tony Stewart fan, Do I.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Much Appreciated.

have a good new year,

jer

Old 12-30-2006, 12:55 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,124,760 times
Nope, no mountains here, although the area just west of town (Brown County) is very hilly and wooded. Do a "google maps" satellite image for the topo view.
If you are outdoorsy at all (hiking, hunting, cycling etc) this area will interest you.

Quote:
How is the school? Safe? Do they have a football team?
I assume you mean High School? There are two High Schools in town: North and East. I don't think my daughter was ever afraid to attend school or anything. So far (knock on wood) we haven't made any national headlines re: school violence. This is still a small town. I knew all of my daughter's friends (and their parents) and that definitely lends an air of safety.

Both schools have football teams. Other popular sports include basketball, swimming (both schools have indoor pools) and cross country. Again, since this is a small town, there is not a lot to do on a Friday night, so the community is very supportive of HS athletics.

Quote:
Is there A Gold's Gym, or a good gym down there
No Gold's in town. Public gyms include Total Fitness and Cardinal Fitness. Private clubs include Tipton Lakes Athletic Club and Ceraland (mainly for Cummins employees, but they also have memberships for the general public).

Traffic is minimal. Well, sometimes it feels bad to us, but people from big cities just laugh at us. "Rush hour" means you might sit through two turns of the traffic light.

As for jobs: sorry I really can't answer your questions re: carpentry...outside of my field. Major employers include Cummins, Toyota, Enkei. Honda is opening a plant ~30 min away in Greensburg.

The town is Tony Stewart-crazy, but no you don't have to be a fan.
I follow cycling, not auto racing, but then I am a freak...

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

One favor? Build a snowman for me???

Old 12-31-2006, 08:48 AM

Thanks so much for the info! Definitely helps. I'll go build you a snowman.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:32 AM

I'm driving down to Columbus, Indiana in April for a week. I'm really excited to check this town out.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 5,663 times
So did you like Columbus? Im very curious been reading this thread.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:48 AM

286 posts, read 1,588,186 times
Default Seymour, IN

I noticed Seymour is in the same area as Columbus. Just curious what folks think about the job market in the area? Also, if an individual wanted to come in offering a computer repair service, would there be a demand for it? We're looking to relocate out of Michigan and someone suggested Seymour.. don't know much about the area, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana