Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:26 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times

Advertisements

Don't be too suspicious. You'll find most people in the area to be genuine. You could ask your realtor about Mishawaka. Tell her you want to be able to walk to school. Be very specific. That's the way I always work with realtors, give them my pie in the sky place and then adjust from there.

Welcome to Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 AM

855 posts, read 2,397,433 times
I've lived in Mishawaka for going on 10 years now and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. We live in a subdivision called Reverewood in the southeast section and are very happy. It is slightly isolated, but not terribly so once you get to know the area. You're 5 minutes from downtown, 15-20 minutes from the shopping corridor and there's an elementary school within walking distance.

A decent sized house with a nice yard in our area can be had for $125,000 or so and the different areas mingle quite well. I have great relationships with my neighbors and that's something that is sometimes overlooked. Most of us are middle class working folk with school age children or retired.

In our particular area the worst crime I can remember is the occasional TPing of a house. There is some as you move towards the center of town but it doesn't tend to be violent crime. I moved here from an urban area back east and it took me 6 months to get used to how quiet it is around here at night except for the summer when some people go nuts with fireworks around the holidays.

Most of our homes were built in the late sixties but there's also a good mix of newer construction on the outskirts of town as it's developed outward.

I've lived in a variety of areas and this has been my favorite. I grew up in a tiny hamlet in NJ with around 2,000 people around 5 miles from the nearest town, I've lived in Baltimore and in a suburb outside Trenton, NJ and this area beats them all for cost of living, schooling, security and accessibility to shopping and other services. Is it Nirvana? No, but I can imagine and have seen a lot worse.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLK55 View Post
I've lived in Mishawaka for going on 10 years now and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. We live in a subdivision called Reverewood in the southeast section and are very happy. It is slightly isolated, but not terribly so once you get to know the area. You're 5 minutes from downtown, 15-20 minutes from the shopping corridor and there's an elementary school within walking distance.

A decent sized house with a nice yard in our area can be had for $125,000 or so and the different areas mingle quite well. I have great relationships with my neighbors and that's something that is sometimes overlooked. Most of us are middle class working folk with school age children or retired.

In our particular area the worst crime I can remember is the occasional TPing of a house. There is some as you move towards the center of town but it doesn't tend to be violent crime. I moved here from an urban area back east and it took me 6 months to get used to how quiet it is around here at night except for the summer when some people go nuts with fireworks around the holidays.

Most of our homes were built in the late sixties but there's also a good mix of newer construction on the outskirts of town as it's developed outward.

I've lived in a variety of areas and this has been my favorite. I grew up in a tiny hamlet in NJ with around 2,000 people around 5 miles from the nearest town, I've lived in Baltimore and in a suburb outside Trenton, NJ and this area beats them all for cost of living, schooling, security and accessibility to shopping and other services. Is it Nirvana? No, but I can imagine and have seen a lot worse.
Ok, I think I can had TPing ha ha. I think that stuff is quite normal with any teenager in a 1 mile radius. Where we live now I deal with far more issues. We looked at a home on Taylor street in Mishawaka. It had an elementary school within walking distance. The home was very nice and it was by Rose park which my realtor said was kind of a big deal. I guess they do summer activities there. The only thing I didnt care for was at the end of the block was a fenced off area with large electrical transformers and it was very unattractive. In the distance I could see a smoke stack from the kitchen window. The realtor said its a dog food factory. In a way, I wouldnt mind a newer construction but we shall see what happens. The downtown area of Mishawaka was quite cute and I liked that. I found people in the area were quite friendly. It has a small town feel to the area. The motel clerk acted like he knew us for years and told me I cant go wrong with Mishawaka.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:45 PM

74 posts, read 366,825 times
i grew up in south bend/granger. i really like the sunnymede area in mishawaka.....i would never move back to the area, however if i had to, i would definitley look in that area. the houses are charming, all a little different. not sure what your thoughts are on private schools, but there are wonderful private schools in the area. i was fortunate to attend a couple for elementary/high school....feel free to dm me with any questions about them.

one other area you *may* want to look into is the niles area. my parents just moved from granger to a nice, newer subdivision in niles just across the IN state line near knollwood....it's a cute neighborhood. probably more "suburban" and granger-like (not my preference, personally) but it's probably worth a look.

if you have lived in the detroit area (i lived up there for 3 years), the "crime" in south bend is nothing comparitively speaking. i would not hesitate for a second to move to many areas in town.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:25 PM

23 posts, read 100,487 times
Hi! I'm in Granger and recommend you check out Discovery Middle School; it's received Blue Ribbon awards and is PHM District's highest ranking middle school. As far as getting to know your neighbors in the Knollwood area it seems that people in general are very friendly. Walking is an option to schools if you can buy in a close suburb. Biking is also possible, but there are no bike paths which makes it dangerous IMHO.

Good luck with your search!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:54 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times
Default Clay ???

Hi all,
Im back asking for more tips. Hubby has been at his new job for a couple months now and we are getting more of an idea of the different areas. He currently lives in Mishawaka by Merrifield park which seems decent. There are pockets of where the homes are a bit shabby and others who have picture perfect lawns. But Im finding I really like some of the subs in Clay township. I know Penn is ranked the best school district but Im not overly thrilled with the size of the high school. Any thoughts on Clay's schools? What about the area? Ive been looking at homes around Darden road. Also a home technically in Granger but part of the Clay school district. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana