Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 12:16 AM

7 posts, read 23,932 times

Advertisements

Before I start, I'm pretty liberal, like recycling, and don't want kids of my own, so don't get offended by what I'm wanting in somewhere to live. I'm not meaning any harm, I'm just trying to find a nice place that doesn't bug the hell out of me.

I've pretty much narrowed things down to Columbus, if the move we make ends up taking us back to Indiana. But I have a few questions that so far, I haven't found the answers to by looking around on the internet. So, I ask those of you who live in the area. Thank you for any advice.

1. I wasn't able to find anything online about natural/organic stores in the area. Are there any? And similarly, the only food stores I've been able to find in the area are Marsh, Kroger, and Super Wal-mart. Now while I will shop at Super Wal-mart if I have to, I'd rather not. For my own reasons, I'd rather not give my money to that company. Now looking online at the other two stores' weekly circulars, it seems Marsh currently has reusable bags- which means they're working the "green" angle (something I like). I would rather shop at a store with good quality produce and meat, if possible organic in nature. I'd like a store with at the very least a nice organic section ( I'm used to buying organic fruit, meat, juice, and milk, among other things, in my regular grocery store, plus having the added benefits of not one, but two local natural food stores nearby). Aside from my general distrust and not-wanting-to-give-money-to-Walmart issues, they tend to have crappy veggies/fruit and meat in my opinion, and no matter the hour, are over-run with crazies. So... yeah. Any helpful info on supermarkets in the area are welcome.

2. Festivals! I am planning my vacation this year around October. Annoyingly late in the year, yes. BUT the only time I can come home if I'm yearning to see the Mansfield Bridge Festival for the first time in over six years. OMG YES (I miss it, okay?) I know the area is pretty decent on small festivals and occasions, which I like, but how are they in general on the variety of festivals? And in specific, I'm looking for a renaissance festival/faire. The only ones I've found online in the entire state seem to last only one weekend, and that's absurd. I'd really have a hard time moving somewhere that I couldn't go to a ren faire, silly as that may sound to some.

3. Curbside recycling. I've found on a couple of websites that there is a decent recycling program at the local landfill, but is there curbside attention, and is the area in tune with this particular issue? I have been unable to find any information on my own, so any help from anyone in the area is so plentifully welcome.

4. Everyone keeps saying it's such a good place for kids, it's great for raising kids, it's kids kids kids kids kids. So.. uhm. If you are ok with kids, but don't want any of your own, and don't want to spend 24/7 with them, do you think it's gonna be hell on earth, or will you still be able to enjoy the area? I am very interested in the outdoors of the area, and want to go biking/hiking a lot, time permitting. I don't however want to be dodging strollers and screaming families everywhere I go. Are the families pretty down to earth there, or do they have "I have kids I'm entitled to EVERYTHING I WANT, YOU JUST DON'T GET HOW HARD IT IS TO RAISE THE CHILDRENS, GRRRR" syndrome? This seems to be a big problem in a lot of places, and those with families may not notice as much as those without. (New to this current generation, because I'm sure I never saw this before the last five-ten years.)

5. VETS/GYNO/FAMILY DOCTORS- I have cats, I won't see a man gyno, and I don't really know how to go about picking a doctor ( My mom picked it, then the military picked it, then my husband's mom worked for a doctor who gave us a discount, so.. yeah. I'm not good at that area). Any advice on if there are any good doctors to look into in the area? What to maybe avoid? PM/DM welcome.

6. I see that T-mobile is in the area, from their website, but the service seems sketchy from their map. Do they offer good service in the area? I'd like to just switch over my service if possible, and I'm satisfied with the company I'm with and would rather not change. Similarly, which cable and internet companies are big in the area? I'd like to be able to combine my cable/internet if possible (here, Brighthouse Networks covers my cable with DVR and cable internet for around $100 a month).

7. Are there any good spas/massage parlors/places to get a facial? I don't do that indulgence often, but my back gets out of whack sometimes and I like to enjoy a facial or two in the year. I'd love if there's somewhere nearby to indulge. Or if they're willing to do housecalls I'm up for that as well.

8. This might sound silly, but I grew up in Greencastle, and we had Pizza King. I can't find even our location listed in their website, but I know it's still there. Is there a pizza king in/near the area? Alternatively, is there a Papa Johns or Pizza Hut? Those are my faves, if I'm not making the dough myself (which I do, on occasion.)

ANYHOW I know that's a lot of questions but thank you anyone who can give me any insight into them. I'm especially interested in the recycling/green grocery aspects. I'd rather live somewhere I can feel good about my "footprint" than somewhere that makes me feel bad about it, and so far, this area is looking good. I just can't find anything about these particular things to satisfy my curiosity, and like I said, I can't really get down to visit until October.

Many thanks for those who read and those who answer. <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
There is a natural food store on Central Ave, looks pretty big too. There's also Blooming-foods in Bloomington.

Natural Choices for Healthful Living
1113 16th Street
Columbus, IN 47201
Phone: 812/375-1677

There isn't curbside recycling, but there are recycling centers all over town. There is a yard waste curbside program. The city provides free mulch and compost too:

Columbus, Indiana

Yes, Columbus is kid friendly, but there are people without kids and look happy to me.

I found a wonderful woman GYN ... I'll pm you her name if you like. She's one of those amazing doctors that will follow up with you! Imagine that!

I've used the emergency room at Columbus Regional Hospital too ... was treated very very well.

Plenty of spas here. Most salons offer all the services you are seeking.

Haven't a clue on cell phones. I just use 'em.

Lots of festivals throughout the year:

Columbus, Indiana Convention and Visitors Bureau

Our public library has terrific free programing for adults too.

Bartholomew County Public Library

And finally, as a pizza snob, this town sorely lacks a good pizza, but there are papa john's and pizza huts.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
For organic natural foods, Indy is not that far away. Lot and lots of choices. From big ethnic grocery stores to Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Trader Joes, Traders Point Organic Farm, etc. We are getting a freezer this year to take more advantage of produce in season. Lots of Upick places too.

I have a friend whose father sells at the Columbus Farmers Market. Seems a big bustling place during the season.

If you dont have kids, consider coming to indy. We have all you have asked about and more. You are probably going to find the city/suburbs pretty much the same whereever you land. Unless you want land.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,669 times
there is a pizza king just 20 min. away in Greensburg. There is curbside recycle--- and I always take my own bags no matter where I go, but both Marsh and Kroger are now offering canvas totes for groceries.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,568 times
From reading your wants and needs, I would recommend that you look into Bloomington as a place to live. I'm a Columbus native and I went to college in Bloomington and they offer a lot of what you express interest in.
I don't know about everything like cell phone coverage and curbside recycling, but almost everything else you mentioned is available.
They are a town big on arts and have numerous festivals/art fairs/ things of that nature every year. Some are better than others, as with any town. There are lots of local restaurants that serve only locally grown produce and locally raised animals. As well as a farmers market. BloomingFoods is the health/whole foods store. People drive over from Columbus to shop there.
The town is very bike friendly, being a college town there are bikes everywhere. There are state parks on almost all sides of the town so there is ample hiking and biking area available. The city is also big enough that you don't always feel like you are in a college town.
There is not a Pizza King there, but there are lots of pizza restaurants around.
You should just check it out and even visit there. There is a LOT of what you would enjoy.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,420 times
I agree with WranglerGirl about checking out Bloomington--they do have a lot of the things you mentioned. However, Columbus is also a great town, and they try hard to mimic Bloomington with a lot of their cultural events and festivals. They also have a great farmer's market for local, organic produce--the market is usually packed on Saturday mornings in the summer! Also, there is a great curbside recycling option in Columbus, Indiana called Waste Servant--they provide curbside recycling and also donation pickups for a subscription fee.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:41 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
You realize this post is over 5 years old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana