Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 01:11 AM

7 posts, read 23,942 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Greencastle, but have since moved away due to the course of life. I'm living in Florida because my husband's family moved down here to escape the New York winters ages ago, and it was either moving here with him or moving home (IN) with me. In hindsight, I wish we'd gone north instead of south. It's so depressing and crappy here, especially in the area I live in. We've decided to move back north in the next few years, once we've paid off all our debt and started a decent savings.

His criteria are basically that it's not too far a drive to Florida, and that it doesn't snow a lot.

While I don't like being cold, I don't mind snow. In fact, I really miss having four distinct seasons. It's so unnatural not to. So we've decided on somewhere in the Southern/Eastern Illinois, Southern Indiana, or Kentucky/Tennessee area.

In order to placate his criteria, I researched Ken/Ten and Illinois first, but honestly found nothing that stood out to me. I'd like something fairly pretty, with decent outdoorsy stuff (like hiking and state parks, not like fishing and deer hunting-though I know most places that have the one will have the other available too) and a fairy liberal and progressive feel. I'd like the city to be mindful of the environment and into the green movement, if at all possible, and so I'm thinking a college town or near a college town is my best bet. I don't mind small if it's eclectic, I did grow up in Greencastle after all. And of course, the place needs to have a decent standard of living with housing that is reasonable. I'd love it if there was a fair amount of available shopping/cuisine/culture (state parks, aquariums and zoos would be a big big bonus to be nearby). And if it were not too impossible to find a job there, that would be amazing.

Anyhow, (I talk too much, sorry xD) I think I've started to narrow it down to three main cities to really delve into researching.

New Albany, Madison, Columbus.

Columbus has the added plus of being near Brown County (which just didn't have enough average net pay for my liking) and near where my family is from, while still being relatively close to all the other major hubs of Southern Indiana. I've heard and read some really nice things about all three of these areas, and I was curious about more feedback that anyone could offer- on these, or other places that you think just might be to my liking.

Thanks in advance. I certainly appreciate any and all feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,748,087 times
Well, all 3 of the towns you mentioned have good access to I-65, so you can head south relatively easy.

I live in Columbus and really like it here. Unlike most of Indiana, this town is on an upswing in terms of job growth, which brings commercial growth, etc. It's close to Brown County, yes, but also Bloomington (you may want to check that town out too). I can get to Cincinnati in 90 minutes, Indy is less than an hour (barring ice ... I was driving in that yesterday!). It's not suburban, which I love. It's diverse and everyone seems to get along. Schools are good if that's a concern.

My daughter's godfather lives in New Albany and they really like it there. It would put you that much closer to Louisville too.

Madison is lovely, yet it's touristy. Easily one of the prettiest, if not the prettiest town in the state.

Another town I love in Southern Indiana is Jasper.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 23,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I can get to Cincinnati in 90 minutes, Indy is less than an hour (barring ice ... I was driving in that yesterday!). It's not suburban, which I love. It's diverse and everyone seems to get along. Schools are good if that's a concern.

I've never been to Cincinnati, so being that close would be nice. Schools are not a concern. My husband and I aren't having kids. (They're cute and all, but I like my kids to be returnable at the end of the day, xD.)

Mostly my concerns are what I've stated above, and that it would be fairly easy to come in off a vacation and job-hunt a little. Neither of us have a degree, but we do have military experience, and my husband is an electrician. I've got banking and retail experience. I'm slowly working on my degree but it's not going to help me get a job at this point.

Last edited by Miaux Cat; 02-13-2008 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: spellcheck

Old 02-13-2008, 09:06 AM

Columbus has an Ivy Tech, Purdue and IU campus if you want to live somewhere that has educational possibilities for you. Also, Camp Atterbury is just north of here.

I don't know, you may want to come and visit Columbus and check the place out.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:50 PM

645 posts, read 1,541,983 times
I'd say your post has Columbus written all over it.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:02 PM

20 posts, read 23,055 times
Pardon me Domergurl but Madison DOES NOT have good access to I 65.........the quickest way to reach 65 from Madison is via Indiana 256 which is part hilly, part bad sight lines and the scene of many accidents over the past 5 years.....it is 22 miles from Madison to I 65 via 256.........Columbus and New Albany are right by 65.......The Madison Town Council has been trying for years to get 256 widened to accomodate traffic to and from I65 in hopes of attracting more business......but funds just aren't there.......Madison is now more focused on getting a new Madison-Milton KY bridge built as the one currently used cannot bear the heavy truck traffic it now sees, much longer. This too in hopes of attracting more businesses. As far as for me, I choose Madison over Columbus and New Albany because of the true small town America feeling Madison presents while being relatively close to large cities such as Louisville and Cincinnati.

Here are some Madison links..........

Madison Indiana Visitor and Tourism Shopping Antiques Art Galleries

Madison Indiana: Old-Madison Downtown and the River Front

Madison Indiana Hanover Jefferson County Links madisonindiana.org tourism and business (http://www.madisonindiana.org/ - broken link)

Old 02-18-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleoresin View Post
Pardon me Domergurl but Madison DOES NOT have good access to I 65.........the quickest way to reach 65 from Madison is via Indiana 256 which is part hilly, part bad sight lines and the scene of many accidents over the past 5 years.....it is 22 miles from Madison to I 65 via 256.........Columbus and New Albany are right by 65.......The Madison Town Council has been trying for years to get 256 widened to accomodate traffic to and from I65 in hopes of attracting more business......but funds just aren't there.......Madison is now more focused on getting a new Madison-Milton KY bridge built as the one currently used cannot bear the heavy truck traffic it now sees, much longer. This too in hopes of attracting more businesses. As far as for me, I choose Madison over Columbus and New Albany because of the true small town America feeling Madison presents while being relatively close to large cities such as Louisville and Cincinnati.

Here are some Madison links..........

Madison Indiana Visitor and Tourism Shopping Antiques Art Galleries

Madison Indiana: Old-Madison Downtown and the River Front

Madison Indiana Hanover Jefferson County Links madisonindiana.org tourism and business (http://www.madisonindiana.org/ - broken link)

Mea Culpa .. sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana