Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 05:33 PM

7 posts, read 10,660 times

Advertisements

I applied to Memorial Hospital and I'm eager and hoping they will want me as one of their pharmacy technician. I am now in Kalamazoo, MI and willing to relocate. My parents are in Hammond so not too far away I would be, and there are more opportunities in South Bend than Kalamazoo. Don't want GR, MI, I want to be closer not farther away from family. So please tell me which apartment within 20 minutes or so from the hospital I can rent from.

Number one is: I want the apartment to be safe since it is only I moving by myself. Number two: I can afford up to $600-610 a month rent. I have a car and most of my debt paid off! Numero tres: It would be the best if it is about mostly 20 minutes away from the hospital. I have searched so much so far and as soon as I can I will be doing trips and checking apts. It would be better knowing personal experiences from tenants.

Lend me your knowledge city data peeps! Think safe and somewhere were I could stay for a year or couple of years or until I meet more people and rent a house with them or find someone. I would rather rent first than moving with some stranger who I don't know. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 10:07 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeB7 View Post
I applied to Memorial Hospital and I'm eager and hoping they will want me as one of their pharmacy technician. I am now in Kalamazoo, MI and willing to relocate. My parents are in Hammond so not too far away I would be, and there are more opportunities in South Bend than Kalamazoo. Don't want GR, MI, I want to be closer not farther away from family. So please tell me which apartment within 20 minutes or so from the hospital I can rent from.

Number one is: I want the apartment to be safe since it is only I moving by myself. Number two: I can afford up to $600-610 a month rent. I have a car and most of my debt paid off! Numero tres: It would be the best if it is about mostly 20 minutes away from the hospital. I have searched so much so far and as soon as I can I will be doing trips and checking apts. It would be better knowing personal experiences from tenants.

Lend me your knowledge city data peeps! Think safe and somewhere were I could stay for a year or couple of years or until I meet more people and rent a house with them or find someone. I would rather rent first than moving with some stranger who I don't know. Thank you!
As someone who lives in the South Bend/Mishawaka area I think I'm pretty apt to give my opinion on this.

Memorial Hospital is in downtown South Bend, which means it's centrally located to pretty much everything. Any apartment you get in South Bend or Mishawaka is going to be no more than 20 minutes away, and probably less.

Before I try to advise you on some it'd be beneficial to know what type of apartment you are looking for. Are you looking for the traditional apartment complexes with dozens of buildings and generally in 3 to 4 story units? Are you looking for a more urban and classical apartment? Are you looking for a smaller studio apartment?

There are two very old buildings that used to be hotels built in the 1920's that are nearing complete refurbishment, they are literally one block south of Memorial Hospital in downtown. They are the Colfax Building and Lafayette building if my memory serves me correctly. They should be finished sometime in the spring.

There are also apartments available just a few blocks south west of Memorial at the old South Bend Central High School, which has been converted to apartments. There are also the East Race Tower apartments just east of Memorial on the other side of the St. Joseph River, those may be a bit pricier.

As far as apartment complexes go there is Irish Hills on the southeastern side of South Bend, they are well within your budget, and probably 15 minutes from the hospital. There is Autumn Lakes Apartments, which is on the southernmost edge of Mishawaka, no more than 20 minutes from the hospital. There are a slew of apartment complexes around Grape Road and Main Street in Mishawaka, which is the shopping hub of the area.

Tell me exactly what you're looking for and I can better point you in the right direction.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:14 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,228,363 times
Some info:
Artists apartments currently available (there are restrictions - you have to show that you are an
artist, i.e., fine arts, performing, musician, chef...)
1st tenant chosen for South Bend's artist apartments

Includes the LaSalle which is not completely finished and this report mentions some others:
'Bringing this building back to life' – Video tour of South Bend's LaSalle Hotel | Local - WSBT.com

The Marmain Apartments:
Home

Suggest you look online (including reviews about any apartments) as well as in person whether they are in SB or Mishawaka.
Some may be subsidized, others may be for seniors or college students.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
As someone who lives in the South Bend/Mishawaka area I think I'm pretty apt to give my opinion on this.

Memorial Hospital is in downtown South Bend, which means it's centrally located to pretty much everything. Any apartment you get in South Bend or Mishawaka is going to be no more than 20 minutes away, and probably less.

Before I try to advise you on some it'd be beneficial to know what type of apartment you are looking for. Are you looking for the traditional apartment complexes with dozens of buildings and generally in 3 to 4 story units? Are you looking for a more urban and classical apartment? Are you looking for a smaller studio apartment?

There are two very old buildings that used to be hotels built in the 1920's that are nearing complete refurbishment, they are literally one block south of Memorial Hospital in downtown. They are the Colfax Building and Lafayette building if my memory serves me correctly. They should be finished sometime in the spring.

There are also apartments available just a few blocks south west of Memorial at the old South Bend Central High School, which has been converted to apartments. There are also the East Race Tower apartments just east of Memorial on the other side of the St. Joseph River, those may be a bit pricier.

As far as apartment complexes go there is Irish Hills on the southeastern side of South Bend, they are well within your budget, and probably 15 minutes from the hospital. There is Autumn Lakes Apartments, which is on the southernmost edge of Mishawaka, no more than 20 minutes from the hospital. There are a slew of apartment complexes around Grape Road and Main Street in Mishawaka, which is the shopping hub of the area.

Tell me exactly what you're looking for and I can better point you in the right direction.
Thank you for the information. I was beginning to believe no one was going to answer hah!
I have always rented from the traditional apartment complexes. The one I am in now is safe, quiet, washer/dryer and garage. I don't much cared for the size and I'm open to ideas as long as I feel safe and not having to worry about strangers looking through my windows, reasonable tenants. I must say I don't like loud music coming through the walls when I'm home. I even would pay a little more just to be at peace at home. I would love a studio since I am an artsy kind of person! But most studios I have found I don't feel safe renting from them. I have done much research through these two websites, one about prices and info regarding the apts, and the other about tenants feedback and how they like their apts:
Apartments for Rent in South Bend, IN - 155 Rentals
http://www.apartmentratings.com/mi/k...6382229249004/
I'm aware about the apt complexes workers leaving fake positive feedback, and that there are disgruntle tenants who leave negative feedback out of spike.

Next step for me is to actually go to the apt complex and check it out for myself. What do you think I have the following?!:
*Autumn lakes apts at 1109 Hidden Lakes Dr. (As you mentioned! These are over my budget, what utilities included?)
*Georgetown Apt 4315 wimbleton, South Bend. (These look perfect but I read multiple reviews on how they are old and need a lot of fixing. They are under new ownership and things are getting better?)
*Regency Apts at 3430 N Main St, Mishawaka. (They are more of my budget, I read safe and pay elec and gas only?)
*Remington Court at 212 Remington Court North, Mishawaka. (I'm Really interested in these? These can start from 573 but make up with bills)

Right now I only pay for electricity and that is not much just me, so what utilities are included have a factor as well. I really like the looks of Castle Point at 18011 Cleveland Road, South Bend but they have so many unhappy tenants reviews with work orders and you pay for all utilities which makes the monthly rent way over my budget. I searched about Iris Hills at 4245 Irish Hills Dr., South Bend and they don't have good reviews =?
http://www.apartmentratings.com/in/s...4291680846614/

I will definitely check out these two buildings you mention "Colfax Building and Lafayette building."
As to what I like? I'm artsy and enjoy new things or going out. Knowing you are from the area and not just an unhappy tenant who wants to get back at the apt complex will take your feedback in mind. Thank you for responding again~!

Old 02-20-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Some info:
Artists apartments currently available (there are restrictions - you have to show that you are an
artist, i.e., fine arts, performing, musician, chef...)
1st tenant chosen for South Bend's artist apartments

Includes the LaSalle which is not completely finished and this report mentions some others:
'Bringing this building back to life' – Video tour of South Bend's LaSalle Hotel | Local - WSBT.com

The Marmain Apartments:
Home

Suggest you look online (including reviews about any apartments) as well as in person whether they are in SB or Mishawaka.
Some may be subsidized, others may be for seniors or college students.
Thank you for the respond! Oh it would be a dream come true if I end up in an old apartment with so much character. I'll be surrounded by my art everywhere like in the movies. I read that if you make over 27k in a year I can't qualify, need to verify this. And if they want $800 a month I just simply can't afford that. =/ But it is so great to know that these kinds of activities are happening in the city! There is not much art activity here in Kalamazoo. There are plenty of bars/breweries though hah! Do you have personal experience on these "The Marmain Apts?" Thank you and have a great day.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:50 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeB7 View Post
Thank you for the information. I was beginning to believe no one was going to answer hah!
I have always rented from the traditional apartment complexes. The one I am in now is safe, quiet, washer/dryer and garage. I don't much cared for the size and I'm open to ideas as long as I feel safe and not having to worry about strangers looking through my windows, reasonable tenants. I must say I don't like loud music coming through the walls when I'm home. I even would pay a little more just to be at peace at home. I would love a studio since I am an artsy kind of person! But most studios I have found I don't feel safe renting from them. I have done much research through these two websites, one about prices and info regarding the apts, and the other about tenants feedback and how they like their apts:
Apartments for Rent in South Bend, IN - 155 Rentals
http://www.apartmentratings.com/mi/k...6382229249004/
I'm aware about the apt complexes workers leaving fake positive feedback, and that there are disgruntle tenants who leave negative feedback out of spike.

Next step for me is to actually go to the apt complex and check it out for myself. What do you think I have the following?!:
*Autumn lakes apts at 1109 Hidden Lakes Dr. (As you mentioned! These are over my budget, what utilities included?)
*Georgetown Apt 4315 wimbleton, South Bend. (These look perfect but I read multiple reviews on how they are old and need a lot of fixing. They are under new ownership and things are getting better?)
*Regency Apts at 3430 N Main St, Mishawaka. (They are more of my budget, I read safe and pay elec and gas only?)
*Remington Court at 212 Remington Court North, Mishawaka. (I'm Really interested in these? These can start from 573 but make up with bills)

Right now I only pay for electricity and that is not much just me, so what utilities are included have a factor as well. I really like the looks of Castle Point at 18011 Cleveland Road, South Bend but they have so many unhappy tenants reviews with work orders and you pay for all utilities which makes the monthly rent way over my budget. I searched about Iris Hills at 4245 Irish Hills Dr., South Bend and they don't have good reviews =?
http://www.apartmentratings.com/in/s...4291680846614/

I will definitely check out these two buildings you mention "Colfax Building and Lafayette building."
As to what I like? I'm artsy and enjoy new things or going out. Knowing you are from the area and not just an unhappy tenant who wants to get back at the apt complex will take your feedback in mind. Thank you for responding again~!
As far as the traditional apartment complexes go I'd have to say that Mishawaka has the better ones, mostly located east of Main St. on the north east side of the city, right next to the shopping district.

As far as old styled and and refurbished apartments often in large single buildings with multiple floors I think South Bend has the edge, being the larger city of the two. So long as you stay east of Michigan St. in South Bend you should be in relatively safe areas, west of Michigan St. in South Bend it can be block to block as far as neighborhood safety and crime goes.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:04 PM

801 posts, read 2,567,040 times
Autumn Lakes, Riverside North, and Irish Hills come to mind. I taught in the SB area for a short time, and many of our teachers chose to live in one of those three complexes.

The area around Notre Dame might also be a good one to consider, but I think you would pay a little more to be walking distance to all of the ND sports, pubs, and eateries.

Central High would be a GREAT choice downtown.

Also, be sure you avoid the apartment complex in SB that has the constant fires: http://www.southbendtribune.com/news...a15793633.html

Old 03-28-2016, 10:23 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,228,363 times
Autumn Lakes and Irish Hills are further south from downtown South
Bend. Also, Central High apartments will give you that bit of charm, is centrally located near
downtown and very close to the hospital (walking distance) you should know:
Central High Apartments in South Bend, IN

Along with Park Jefferson there is another apartment complex nearby -"Cedar Glen" (they have
changed ownership) but.....
Big changes for apartment complex - South Bend Tribune: Local

This is across the street from Notre Dame and it will be very busy during Notre Dame home
games as well as nights when school is in session:

The Foundry | Apartment and Community Amenities

Old 08-31-2016, 06:30 PM

Ta-Dah Update

Hey, this is me back with an update! I'm happy to inform that I ended up being offered the position and accepted it. I relocated to South Bend in April and ended up leasing at Irish Hills. I was running out of time between when I needed to move out from MI and start the new job here in IN to check other apts. This apt is okay for now and for someone who came from another state and safe enough with an affordable rent. I will continue to check other apartment complexes I didn't have time to check before. Places I am glad I didn't had to move to were castle point, and george town. I check those locations in person and they are falling apart. The roads, buildings or appliances were sad to look at and problematic. One appliance was actually rusting and as I touch it, it broke apart. The young girl who was showing me the apt said she would put a work order on it. Ridiculous, the "ready" to move in apt needs work orders before I move in? No thank you. THank you for all the information and comments, it greatly help me! =] I'm a Hoosier now and happy to have relocated. Now I would like to learn how to play the guitar and enjoy what this great city has to offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana