Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 AM

6 posts, read 42,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It drove me nuts when we lived in Fishers and now here in Columbus how people call their grandparents Ma-maw and Pa-paw. What's that about? Also when they put the emphasis on the first syllables of "insurance" and "umbrella". I'd also never heard the term "fair to middlin'" before college and had no clue what it meant. Also, I remember hearing some old timers saying "you-uns" and "we-uns".
Haha! I was born in Indiana and lived there until I was 12 (when we moved to Michigan). Always called my mom's parents Ma-maw and Pa-paw...not sure why though? I guess it's an Indiana thing? But on my dad's side, I always called his parents grandpa and grandma! Weird.

When I moved to Michigan, people thought I had an accent. Now I just have an accent when I say words like "fire"..."tire"...and "wire"...tends to have that twangy IIIIIRE sound!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Where you from southern Indiana originally? I went to college down there (and noticed that there is quite a southern twang sported by many of the good folks down there).

Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Where you from southern Indiana originally? I went to college down there (and noticed that there is quite a southern twang sported by many of the good folks down there).
Nope, I was from Anderson, north of Indy. Then lived in a tiny, tiny town called Shirley for a few years.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,408 times
Stereotypes are hickish, nothing good, inferior to Chicago/Illionois, boring

Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleckidesign View Post
Nope, I was from Anderson, north of Indy. Then lived in a tiny, tiny town called Shirley for a few years.
Shirley? That is a great name for a town.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Shirley? That is a great name for a town.
And boy was it tiny! Population a few years ago was around 800. The high school I went to had about 90 people per class...and I'm sure it served as the high school for neighboring small towns as well!

I miss the small-town life...

Old 07-08-2008, 10:38 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Stereotypes are hickish, nothing good, inferior to Chicago/Illionois, boring
WTF

Old 07-08-2008, 02:55 PM

308 posts, read 1,041,765 times
Lived in Indiana 45 years, but not in one of the small towns where you typically hear the 'twang'... worked with some people from smaller towns that commuted to Indpls and their accents and bad grammar drove me crazy. I recently moved to S.C. and am hearing a lot of "Y'all" and "All Y'all". Now I miss my small town Indiana hickish friends

Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Stereotypes?

[sigh]Let's see here: Conservative, plain, racist, no accents, corn, obsessed with racing and basketball. That's pretty much it.

Growing up in Michigan, I never really gave the stereotypes of Indiana or anywhere else much thought until I actually came here.

The state can be quite plain, almost generic in parts. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though. Social conservatism seems to be rampant here, although the larger cities tend to be more moderate.

I can attest to the racism, it seems to be almost a subtle, inherent type of racism in this state. Whereas even the hardcore racist Southern states have moved on and become more tolerant of others, it seems as if many people here are still very much closed minded, particularly against blacks.

The no-accents thing is kind of an anomaly. You have the northern, nasally accent here in Fort Wayne and parts northward; then there's the central Indiana non-accent, and then south of Columbus, IN you have a distinctly Midwestern but yet slightly Southern type of dialect.

I never understood the whole corn thing. Indiana's economy lies primarily in industry/manufacturing, and soybeans are this state's largest crop.

Same with racing and basketball. I don't think I've met anyone truly obsessed with either of the two when I went to school in Indy.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 PM

8 posts, read 31,427 times
Talking Conservative dumb hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Extremely conservative, dumb hicks, full of white trash, very antisocial, un-neighborly, introverted people who tend to marry early in age. I've lived out of state (Cali, Montana and Texas) and have never heard anybody say anything nice about Indiana except: "isnt that where Michael Jackson is from?".
i hate to say it but being a born and bred hoosier who luckily has traveled out of state enough to keep me sane, i would have to agree with interpol76 with the exception of a few areas that have larger universities near by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana