Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 PM

19 posts, read 58,261 times

Advertisements

Just to let you all know that all of the cups used by Celtic Quest Cafe will be TOTALLY Biodegradable. The only coffee shop in Bloomington that will be using these cups!! Some Info on the cups is listed below;

Research has yielded the happy revelation that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved drink receptacles made of PLA (polylactides), a polymer derived from corn. Smooth, clear and visually indistinguishable from petroleum-based plastics, the material for these cups is produced by NatureWorks LLC, a branch of Cargill Dow. PLA plastics biodegrade completely in 90 days in commercial or institutional composters, require 50 percent less fossil fuel than regular plastics to produce, and are not toxic to burn.
Polylactides are derived from starch, in this case corn dextrose. According to NatureWorks, lactic acid, a substance naturally occurring in the human body, is itself already used as a food additive. Polylactides have also been used for many years by the medical industry because it is bioresorbable, meaning it is absorbed by the body, thus making it an ideal material for implants and internal sutures. The FDA hasn't found that PLA leaches any toxic chemicals, which gives it an advantage over some plastics commonly used for holding liquids, such as polycarbonate, which can leach hormone disupting bisphenol-A, and polystyrene, which can leach styrene, a possible human carcinogen.

This year NatureWorks will use the dextrose from 13 million bushels of field corn, a variety grown for animal feed, to produce this new plastic resin. Unfortunately, they use genetically-engineered (GE) corn as well as non-GE corn. Genes from GE crops have already spread to certain populations of US and Mexican non-GE corn. Serious risks to human health could result, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists, if genes from pharmaceutical and industrial crops contaminate the seeds for food crops at a significant level. And though not oil-based, the synthetic fertilizers used on them can be.
When composted in commercial or institutional composters the cups will disappear completely in 47 days, according to NatureWorks, but only if the composter is run at a temperature above 140 degrees F, slightly higher than most commercial composters consider optimal. Fabri-Kal, the Michigan company that manufactures the cups, says the cups go away in closer to 90 days in standard commercial composters. NatureWorks is currently compiling a nationwide list of institutional composters (check their web site below). People who have mixed the cups into their home composts, cooler and drier than commercial setups, generally agree the cups disappear in around a year, although it helps to cut them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 09:24 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,504,929 times
Great idea but will the cost of the cups keep going up as you have to compete with the ethanol suppliers for the corn?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 AM

19 posts, read 58,261 times
I have talked with the suppliers of the cups and they have told me that the price will stay consistent. They don't expect the price to go up any. In fact just the opposite, as more places start using these cups they expect the price to drop.
I've had the company send me samples of the cups and I've put them through a rigorous test to see if there was any difference from the usual cups at other cafe's. To me and to a few of my friends we could tell no difference at all. In fact I believe these are even superior to the cups used at Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana