Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 01:45 PM

89 posts, read 113,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
"Why is Indiana considered backwards"

Well, I am well versed to answer this question.

1) Too much reliance on manufacturing employment, even with continued decline in that sector over a sustained period of time.
2) A filthy state energy policy that has given everything away to big coal companies, but externalized all of the costs to consumers through negative health, environment, and climate costs. Indiana ranks #1 in carbon emissions per capita compared to any state in the country. I will post the source once I find it.
3) Not enough emphasis on higher education results in systemic issues with urban and rural poverty- even with the insanely low cost of living. That should tell you something right there.
4) A general feeling of decline and decay in many of the cities in the state (although that is a pretty widespread problem everywhere these days). However, the infrastructure such as roads, sidewalks, buildings, and stoplights are in bad shape.
5) A general political leaning that is economically liberal and socially conservative. Most states that lean that way politically have not done well over the past few decades because it leads to the brain drain of talent to other places.

Positives of Indiana:
1) Community involvement and "sense of place" is excellent with many viable smaller towns.
2) Very fiscally conservative and not adherent to any trends.
3) The ridiculously low cost of living. It's like the clock has been turned back 25-30 years. I am not kidding.
4) The friendliness of the people.
5) The Hoosier National Forest
6) The LACK of big cities minus Indy.

On number 4 I will haft to disagree

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/thes...re-crisis.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 05:53 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,617 times
Probably because, like so much of the Midwest and South, it's full of backwards people.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:36 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Yes, the roads and infrastructure of Indiana are improving. But for years they were in really bad shape at least in the Indianapolis metro area. I worked as a courier there for about five years and my cars were getting destroyed by the condition of the roads. That didn't happen during my three year stint as a courier in Hartford in the 1980's or about nine years in the Kansas City area a few years ago.

Indiana just levied a ten cent tax hike on gasoline sales. Presumably that revenue is going towards repairing and maintaining the roads. Hopefully the roads in Indianapolis will get priority attention because they are about the worst I've ever driven on. Heard Detroit and Michigan is worse but Indy can't be far behind.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:26 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,493 times
I’m surprised by the title of this thread. Never have I considered the great state of Indiana to be “backward,” and I can’t imagine who would think so. That label fits Arkansas, Alabama, and Mississippi.
We had to drive through Gary on the way to Chicago back in the day. Man, that smokestack air was noxious! ☠️

Old 09-20-2019, 12:40 PM

613 posts, read 944,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
The people of Indiana therefore need to eliminate the word "hoosier" from their vocabulary and adopt a more positive nickname for its state and people. Indiana is a scenic state...

Indiana's most famous annual event is the Indianapolis 500. Thus, perhaps Indiana should be called "America's Brickyard" or some other nickname that reflects Indiana's racing heritage.
I was born in Indiana in the 1950's, & I always hated the word "hoosier". It's like saying "Hey I'm a Hick from a backwards state." To this day I don't tell people I'm from there if I can avoid it.

I don't know what this poster means when he says: "Indiana is a scenic state"? Really? Flat, with cornfields. The main "city" was called things like "India-no-place" even back in the early 1970's.

Then some of the politicians: Dan Quayle was a national joke as VP. Mike Pence is barely better. Isn't his claim to fame his anti-gay laws when he was Gov.? So that all of the presumably super-Christian bakers wouldn't have to bake Gay wedding cakes? It's like an SNL spoof.

BTW, I still know people there from when I was a kid in the 50's & 60's. Good people, mostly. Just never left, so it's all they know......I wish them well......but I hate going back there even for a few days b/c it's so [bleeping] boring.....

Old 09-20-2019, 02:11 PM

307 posts, read 255,495 times
I don't' think of Indiana as completely "backwards"...yes it's more conservative (especially in the rural areas) and yes it's heavily influenced by the evangelical Christians but all in all I'd say it's a fairly moderate state especially in the bigger cities.

It's not a touristy place, we don't have the ocean or mountains...maybe that's why no one wants to come here? Is Ohio any better? or Illinois? All 3 states are very similar in rural areas.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:17 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,146,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
It's not a touristy place, we don't have the ocean or mountains...maybe that's why no one wants to come here?
Sounds good to me!

As someone who has spent most of her life in California, complete with its ocean, mountains, and all manner of attractions, I admit CA is a nice place to visit. I can't wait to escape the chaos of everyday life here though.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:20 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I was born in Indiana in the 1950's, & I always hated the word "hoosier". It's like saying "Hey I'm a Hick from a backwards state." To this day I don't tell people I'm from there if I can avoid it.

I don't know what this poster means when he says: "Indiana is a scenic state"? Really? Flat, with cornfields. The main "city" was called things like "India-no-place" even back in the early 1970's.

Then some of the politicians: Dan Quayle was a national joke as VP. Mike Pence is barely better. Isn't his claim to fame his anti-gay laws when he was Gov.? So that all of the presumably super-Christian bakers wouldn't have to bake Gay wedding cakes? It's like an SNL spoof.

BTW, I still know people there from when I was a kid in the 50's & 60's. Good people, mostly. Just never left, so it's all they know......I wish them well......but I hate going back there even for a few days b/c it's so [bleeping] boring.....
I don't know why anybody would take offense to the word "Hoosier". That beats all I ever have heard tell of. Political correctness run amok if you ask me. People get offended when they know the offense is true. People who are so easily offended are the very definition of the term "Snowflake". Do you think all those Indiana "hicks" and politicians is a reflection of you? Why would you think such a thing unless you know it's true that you really are an actual gen-u-ine, bonified "hick"? Proof positive you have a low opinion of the intelligence of the people in your new hometown to think they would automatically assume you must be a dumb hick because you are from Indiana. I guess you must also think if people think you are from someplace like San Francisco or Spokane, then you must really be quite the enlightened individual, and plenty of smarts, too.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:04 AM

307 posts, read 255,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Sounds good to me!

As someone who has spent most of her life in California, complete with its ocean, mountains, and all manner of attractions, I admit CA is a nice place to visit. I can't wait to escape the chaos of everyday life here though.
I've been to CA once, 20 years ago...beautiful place,awesome weather and plenty to do! But, I think you're right...COL aside, I'm not sure I could live there all the time. I'm pretty introverted and like my quiet. Maybe northern rural CA would suit my style more? Oh well, Indiana is where I'm at for now and probably a while. Fall in Indiana is my favorite time and it's almost here!

Old 09-26-2019, 11:53 AM

89 posts, read 113,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
I've been to CA once, 20 years ago...beautiful place,awesome weather and plenty to do! But, I think you're right...COL aside, I'm not sure I could live there all the time. I'm pretty introverted and like my quiet. Maybe northern rural CA would suit my style more? Oh well, Indiana is where I'm at for now and probably a while. Fall in Indiana is my favorite time and it's almost here!

SO you two are like me, love the imagery of Cali just can't live here any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana