Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:10 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,249,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner7 View Post
J - I was looking at the stats re sex offenders on THIS website. Then, I remembered the incident that happened to me in 1984. Then, I compared these stats to some other states in the immediate area that has the same population as Quincy......Quincy is rather high for sexual offenders. THAT is what I am saying. I don't care who your relatives and friends are. You can't deny the stats.

No need to get defensive. I am stating my point of view and you are stating yours. We can disagree. Also, I was just pointing out that when you review stats you also need to understand what is included in the stats. I'm not denying them, just saying to consider the differences within the stats. That's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 PM

43 posts, read 161,576 times
Oh, I get it......you understand all of those s/o's stats. I'm so silly for underestimating you---of all people. Chicago's one of the few places I've never been. But I hear it's pretty cold up there.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,249,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner7 View Post
Oh, I get it......you understand all of those s/o's stats. I'm so silly for underestimating you---of all people. Chicago's one of the few places I've never been. But I hear it's pretty cold up there.
I don't really understand this, but I'm sensing sarcasm. Again, I don't understand why you are getting defensive. First of all, I do have an understand of stats, as I teach both stats and research methods at the college level. Thus, when someone presents stats, I naturally look at them to see the validity in them. I am not saying that the stats are wrong at all, I'm saying that they also include people who are stagetory offenders (such as people who are 19 and have sex with their 16 year old girlfriend), so you not only have to look at the number, but the type of offenders. Those individuals aren't really people you need to watch out for. That's it!! That is also one of the major criticisms of Megan's Law, which is the law under which these stats have to be reported. I'm not saying the numbers are great at all, but I'm also saying that in MY experience, Quincy has been an extremely safe place to live. I'm not saying that I'm right or I'm better than you, I'm saying that I disagree with you, and there is nothing wrong with that!! I'm sorry that you had a bad experience and felt threatened.

I'm now leaving this post alone (or at least regarding your experience), as we obviously can't have a civil discussion and this can just keep going back and forth.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:37 AM

43 posts, read 161,576 times
Yes, you do understand. You're not as uninformed as you're acting.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 10,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Secondly, by comparison, it appears as if property taxes are much higher in Quincy than here in Baton Rouge. I pay an annual tax of $187 that also includes fees for fire and crime prevention here, and my home is well above the statistical median value. City-Data's site says that the median property tax in Quincy is about $1600 on an average home, which is said to hover around $80K. Did I misread this, or would a $200K home be subject to several thousands in real estate taxes?
I can tell you that my property taxes are $1693 per year (2008) on a home with a fair market value of $89,000.

The formula, as I see it:

Annual Tax = (property value - $15000 if owner occupied) x 0.02279

Yes, be prepared for higher property taxes. But your insurance rates will be a more pleasant surprise. In fact Quincy can boast some of the lowest auto insurance rates anywhere. Your auto license is modest, too. You pay $78 per vehicle ($98 for personalized plates) for your annual car license, regardless of the size, age or value of the car. Compare those rates to those of states with personal property taxes or ad valorem taxes, that can amount to hundred of dollars for a newer vehicle.

State Income taxes also assume a flat scale:

Tax = (Income - $2000 per person) x .03
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois