Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 03:07 PM

722 posts, read 1,337,880 times

Advertisements

It's hard to really pinpoint what needs to be done about immigration. At first glance, I used to definetly say shut the border down until we fix things. I mean, I was literally saying that hardcore 4 months ago. But then I moved and got out my element, and suprisingly met ALOT of Mexicans who I befriended with. First off, If you asked me about my image of a person from Mexico 4 months ago, I would definetly think dark tan skin, and most likely black hair. The majority of Mexicans I met when I moved down to FL were Really light skin, and a lot of them(not all) were actually white. Besides that, one of them made a good point. The USA has seen it's wave of immigration. The Europeans came from All over Europe and settled the E. Coast Area. They were needed to really build the country. So they were brought over, Americanized and taught English, the culture, you name it, all through Ellis Island... We also forcefully Americanized the NATIVES (Yes, "Natives") that we Did not kill if you check the History books. Africans were brought for labor in the South, Asians for Railroads, etc, etc. Now times have changed and we are more advanced, educated, etc and the Hispanics are coming in numbers( And yes Alot are coming illegal). Predominately from MX. My question is, isn't that the trend of the US? So why complain and stop now. Maybe we should blame ourselves for not setting up shop and teaching them English. I'm not saying it's right, but the connotation that the U.S. has with Mexicans and Immigration is pretty negative right now. That just makes it more of a reason that they come over Illegal. In my opinion, we should slow the process down, Teach English to the ones we have now, make the illegals take a history class or two of the U.S. and then allow the immigratin again at a more controlled pace. Who is to choose who can come and not. And I know alot of the illegals are from Mexico, but c'mon. You think they are the only one's. How about Haitians, Viets. and even French.

And last, I know history is something in the present and is written everyday, but technically the American majorty which is White/Caucasian are immigrants as well. Lets not forget that. And in my opinion the natives were killed, and as EDU983 stated the MX have the most AmerIndian blood which is the next close thing, and we still don't want them. I know all people complain about immigration, but come'on Minute Men, TeaParty, and all that. Those people are forgetting about history, and when you bring that to their attention all they do is say Past is Past and Get over it......

Now I could be off on this, but when I took World Geo during undergrad about a yr ago I believe African A. percentage was like 13% and Hispanic was 18 or 20%. I know Asian can't be above 20% and majority of Americans identified as White/Caucasian, still making that race the majority( Correct me if i'm worng). Now for us to be the USA I think that's a good mix of people. Some may say the Hispanics have a lot that are undocumented but when you look at the world as a whole there is naturally more people of color anyway...

Last edited by coolieandre; 12-25-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 03:38 PM

134 posts, read 127,808 times
New America? What the heck is a new America? When did this new America thing happen?

Last time I checked we all have something in common, we are Americans.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:29 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,317,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
It's hard to really pinpoint what needs to be done about immigration. At first glance, I used to definetly say shut the border down until we fix things. I mean, I was literally saying that hardcore 4 months ago. But then I moved and got out my element, and suprisingly met ALOT of Mexicans who I befriended with. First off, If you asked me about my image of a person from Mexico 4 months ago, I would definetly think dark tan skin, and most likely black hair. The majority of Mexicans I met when I moved down to FL were Really light skin, and a lot of them(not all) were actually white. Besides that, one of them made a good point. The USA has seen it's wave of immigration. The Europeans came from All over Europe and settled the E. Coast Area. They were needed to really build the country. So they were brought over, Americanized and taught English, the culture, you name it, all through Ellis Island... We also forcefully Americanized the NATIVES (Yes, "Natives") that we Did not kill if you check the History books. Africans were brought for labor in the South, Asians for Railroads, etc, etc. Now times have changed and we are more advanced, educated, etc and the Hispanics are coming in numbers( And yes Alot are coming illegal). Predominately from MX. My question is, isn't that the trend of the US? So why complain and stop now. Maybe we should blame ourselves for not setting up shop and teaching them English. I'm not saying it's right, but the connotation that the U.S. has with Mexicans and Immigration is pretty negative right now. That just makes it more of a reason that they come over Illegal. In my opinion, we should slow the process down, Teach English to the ones we have now, make the illegals take a history class or two of the U.S. and then allow the immigratin again at a more controlled pace. Who is to choose who can come and not. And I know alot of the illegals are from Mexico, but c'mon. You think they are the only one's. How about Haitians, Viets. and even French.

And last, I know history is something in the present and is written everyday, but technically the American majorty which is White/Caucasian are immigrants as well. Lets not forget that. And in my opinion the natives were killed, and as EDU983 stated the MX have the most AmerIndian blood which is the next close thing, and we still don't want them. I know all people complain about immigration, but come'on Minute Men, TeaParty, and all that. Those people are forgetting about history, and when you bring that to their attention all they do is say Past is Past and Get over it......

Now I could be off on this, but when I took World Geo during undergrad about a yr ago I believe African A. percentage was like 13% and Hispanic was 18 or 20%. I know Asian can't be above 20% and majority of Americans identified as White/Caucasian, still making that race the majority( Correct me if i'm worng). Now for us to be the USA I think that's a good mix of people. Some may say the Hispanics have a lot that are undocumented but when you look at the world as a whole there is naturally more people of color anyway...
I hear what you are saying, but the times of the 1900s out West, the 1600s-1800s in the South and North are totally different than the modern United States. We have problems related to illegal immigration. We have school systems that are going broke because they can't afford to accommodate the influxes of illegal immigrant students that they have. We have state and city budgets that are going haywire because of their new or growing population of illegal immigrants.

How does any of this work in the grand scheme of keeping a nation in a positive and productive position? Their labor can't be used as an excuse anymore. Illegal immigrants are taking more overall than they are giving.

Those people you talk about are right, "The past IS over." It IS. You can't compare the legal journey of people during the past centuries to millions of illegal immigrants just coming here and telling us that they are going to live here and in some situations not be able to work, yet, have children and receive government assistance. And that's not just Mexicans, Guatemalans or El Salvadorians, it is any that do that and there are way too many who are. It's not even just about the government assistance they are receiving, it's a lot of issues such as population growth, crime/gangs in certain areas.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:38 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,259,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Need to stop it long time ago, but I'd say Asia (less trouble internally), but I won't because seems may make it easier for China to come marching here to take us over.
Why on Earth would China come and take us over? Just one good reason...

We are their largest customer and owe them a few trillion dollars, makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm much more concerned that the liberals will fully take us over....

Old 12-25-2010, 09:14 PM

233 posts, read 440,969 times
The new America should be made up of people who primarily respect us and our borders enough to come here LEGALLY, and that means following the proper procedures of paperwork in such to begin with. It should be made up of people who show allegiance to this country and not the one they are leaving. It should not be made up of any who make demands on us to give concessions to them in any way, the first thing they do should be to learn and respect our laws, find a job and work and PAY TAXES, not sign up for every benefit out there and then demand even more. I am all for LEGAL immigration to be made up of equal numbers of other nationalities, not for one to dominate number wise, I prefer the balance to be more equal among all nationalities.
I think something should be done to help the children who were brought here by their Illegal parents when they were very young (under 5 I would say) and who spent the majority of their lives here and have graduated from high school, but along with that I would like to see those parents deported for their illegality and those children denied the ability to sponsor any people as a way to make up for what the parents did, they should in no way ever be able to so much as visit this country again in their lifetimes, their children when they recieve legal status would be able to go visit them as often as they wanted in their home country. That to me would be a fair penalty for breaking the immigration laws and staying here when they weren't supposed to be here in the first place, if as they say they do everything in this mess "for the better" of their children I can't really see where they would have a problem doing this for their children..............but then again I have always believed that none of this was done so much for the children as it was for the parents themselves as a way to get the benefits they want for free.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:41 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,054,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
American racial makeup is going to change in the next 100 years and the decision of today's Congress will effect our Country for the next 1000 years. Much of our Country in 100 years will be the offspring of immigrants who will be coming into America due to the soon to be passed Immigration Bill. (Yes, something will be passed and it will flood the country with IMMIGRANTS)

Should Congress allow more people to immigrate to America from Asia, Africa or Latin America? Currently 2/3 of the world's population is from Asia, so should they get 2/3 of the slots? Or should we allow more people from Latin America because it is more practical because they are speaking a language that people already know in many cases?

What would be the pros and cons of each?
I don't want to see ANY of those people come here! We are crowded enough and don't have enough jobs and/or social services to go around. Those populations also have too many conservative views on too many issues. There are too many social conservatives in this country already without adding even more.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:24 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,355,263 times
For some odd reason some think that our majority demographic makeup should be changed. I guess they think that any majority white country such as the U.S. doesn't have the right to be so and therefore we need a "new" America and the way to accomplish that is via illegal immigration from non-white countries. These same hypocrites wouldn't desire for China to become less Asian but a "new" China. They wouldn't desire for Mexico to becomes less Hispanic but a "new" Mexico. I wish they would look in the mirror and see themselves for the racists that they are.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:44 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,025,536 times
I think we should deport illegals and close the door on immigration (through a law) whenever our unemployment of citizens reaches a certain level. We do not need foreigners of any race coming over here and lowering salaries for Americans. We are all suffering because of our current immigration policies.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:17 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,610,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post

It isn’t an issue of race/ethnicity. We have a legal immigration process. Those who do not comply with our laws are not welcome. Would you welcome a burglar as you would an invited guest? I think not.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:15 PM

722 posts, read 1,337,880 times
I know it's not about race I just put those quik figures in for the OP if you look to his Original question of which primary people should the new America be. But anyway, Heck no would I allow a burgular in my home. But I do think that's a bad comparison for Immigration. If you simplify the situation then yes. But the immigration issues of 2010 in my eyes are more complex than an uninvited guest....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration